Fueling up for workouts?

Options
I have been ramping up my exercise and lately I am running out of steam during my workouts. Would anyone like to share what they eat before a workout or how you spread you calories and nutrients out over the day when you are working out 45-60 minutes of cardio that day? Do you fuel up before or tank up after?

I am eating most of my exercise calories most days.

Replies

• TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I find that I feel sluggish during if I eat before a work out..it also makes my stomach cramp up fast if doing something high intensity..no matter how small the snack. If I happen to eat before it's only by chance. I usually eat afterwards
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me I need to eat at least 100 calories within one hour before working out. Then I need a high protein meal within one hour after I workout so my body can regenerate from my workout.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    If I'm going to work out longer than an hour, I eat something before, such as string cheese, half pb&J, or a banana. For each hour of workout I take a GU gel or two, depending on whether it's a 90 minute or 3 hour workout. After I follow up with a protein shake. If I'm working out less than an hour I usually just drink water before, follow with chocolate milk.

Just increasing my water from 6-8 to 10-12 glasses a day makes a huge difference in my energy level, also making as many of my calories "count" throughout the day as possible.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    bump! I could use some ideas for this too :)
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Usually something like cheese works for me! I am a pretty big fan of having a protein shake before a work out as well :)
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    i am cutting for a couple of competitions, but before my workouts ihave 6 egg whites, 1 ounce of avocado and 1/4 C dry oatmeal, mixed with cinnamon. Unless its a heavy day like back or legs, I usually don't get hungry til just before I'm done with cardio and then go home and eat 1/2 C nonfat cottage cheese and a cup of fresh berries witha protein shake. My total daily caloric intake is currently 1223.