Exhausted and Flat come afternoon.

Options
So I run in the mornings, I've steadily increased my run from 4km to 6.5km.. but with that I'm becoming more and more exhausted and just flat in the evenings. :/ I just want to sloth and/or sleep.

I don't -feel- like I'm working too hard when I'm in the moment, and yes, I am waking early to do the runs, then I work all day, come home to two kids.. but I'm never normally THIS buggered.

Is there anything I can do, any super-foods I can eat, to perk myself up in the evenings? I am have study to do once the kids are into bed (get the impression I have too much on my plate?) I don't drink anything caffeinated because I really don't like coffee and stuff like that, so I'm hoping for a suggestion that goes beyond my husband's "Just drink some coffee" ... maybe that IS the answer though.

Replies

• BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Glancing over your diary, it looks like you're well under your nutrition on most days. You might need to eat more to fuel your running.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I agree, i too think you should be eating more.
    Add some nuts, or steamed veggies.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Firstly "Congratulations" on managing all that plus trying to lose weight! WOW I'm exhausted just hearing all this girl!! Well done I really admire your determination and committment its awesome...:o) Here is a list of foods that may help -

Foods high in protein but low in fat will also help keep your energy up…

Salmon is high in protein, and is also high in omega-3 fats that can also boost your cardiovascular health.
    Beans are packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
    Best fruits for increasing energy…

Bananas
    Apples
    Pears
    Apricots
    Watermelon
    Berries
    Top vegetable for increasing energy…

Spinach
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    Brussel Sprouts
    Yams
    Great energy snacks…

Almonds
    Peanut Butter
    Soy Nuts
    Trail Mix

Hope this helps...xx
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This is just my humble opinion:

Do you run every single day? You need to slowly increase you weekly mileage - say 10% more each week otherwise you run the risk of injuring yourself. Some people just aren't able to run every single day, I know that I can't run more than two days in a row. Also, make sure you're eating enough. If you're feeling tired and run down then assess what you're eating and your calorie intake. You may need more calories to fuel your body - play around with it and ignore the scale for a bit, go with how you feel!

Good luck!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, more food... I can barely fit in what I AM eating! I certainly am not feeling starved.. Maybe change the type of what I'm eating.

And don't look at today's diary :p I haven't done dinner yet.. and y'day and a 'cook for nana' day hence lack of vegies. No excuses for the previous days. :p
  • Nikki582
    Options
    This is just my humble opinion:

Do you run every single day? You need to slowly increase you weekly mileage - say 10% more each week otherwise you run the risk of injuring yourself. Some people just aren't able to run every single day, I know that I can't run more than two days in a row. Also, make sure you're eating enough. If you're feeling tired and run down then assess what you're eating and your calorie intake. You may need more calories to fuel your body - play around with it and ignore the scale for a bit, go with how you feel!

Good luck!
    Cheers :) I run every 2nd day - I'm doing the gateway to 8k, so I increase the time spent running by 1 minute per interval each week. :) I do some sort of other cardio or strength on the other days (like a jillian micheals DVD or calisthenics or something of that ilk)
    Thanks for the advice and concern :)
  • psych101
    Options
    [/quote]
    Cheers :) I run every 2nd day - I'm doing the gateway to 8k, so I increase the time spent running by 1 minute per interval each week. :) I do some sort of other cardio or strength on the other days (like a jillian micheals DVD or calisthenics or something of that ilk)
    Thanks for the advice and concern :)
    [/quote]

Oh good job!!! You got this in terms of shaking your booty to get the weight off, now you just gotta look at how you're fueling yourself and the energy will come back :)
    It takes a while to find out what's right for you! Experiment with different calorie intakes. See how you go!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness - you are not eating enough on the days you are exercising - you have to make sure you give your body fuel to work on!!
  • psych101
    Options
    Oh and I see you're in Oz? Sorry about the World Cup - Go the ABs!!

Love,
    A cheeky Kiwi

Hehe xx
  • Nikki582
    Options
    Oh and I see you're in Oz? Sorry about the World Cup - Go the ABs!!

Love,
    A cheeky Kiwi

Hehe xx
    OH! I MAY be over the ditch but I know which in the winning team when it comes to Rugby! :p (helps that my parents are kiwi!) :p
  • Nikki582
    Options
    Oh my goodness - you are not eating enough on the days you are exercising - you have to make sure you give your body fuel to work on!!
    So this is where the 'eat your exercise calories' comes into it? I'm not feeling starving or hungry.. and I don't know how to eat my exercise cals without completely gorging myself... I know there's lots of threads with advice but.. yeah. I think upping my protein and taking suggestions from high energy healthy foods might be the thing to do to combat this (thinking out loud)
  • psych101
    Options
    So this is where the 'eat your exercise calories' comes into it? I'm not feeling starving or hungry.. and I don't know how to eat my exercise cals without completely gorging myself... I know there's lots of threads with advice but.. yeah. I think upping my protein and taking suggestions from high energy healthy foods might be the thing to do to combat this (thinking out loud)

Haha glad we got that rugby issue sorted!! Bring on Sunday night!!

To increase your cals, look for food that are nutritionally and calorically dense - such as nuts, nut butters, avocado, oils etc. Try adding protein and fat to your brekkie and lunch and see how you feel mid afternoon.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bumpity.

BTW Nikki you are an inspiration
  • Nikki582
    Options
    Bumpity.

BTW Nikki you are an inspiration
    Thank you Gaz, very sweet to say!
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Do you take a recovery meal, snack or drink after finishing your runs?

Taking in a recovery drink or energy bar after running is an easy way of both partially re-fuelling your body and eating back some of your exercise calories in a beneficial way that should not bloat you.

On face value it would sound like other people have said, that your body is simply asking for more fuel, best to give it some of that fuel soon after exercise has finished to aid your recovery.
  • Nikki582
    Options
    I eat breakfast about an hour (or less) following a run... perhaps I need something immediately? I might start throwing in a hard boiled egg for breakfast as well, and then some other time later in the day some fruit (not a big fruit fan, but I have a few I'll eat)

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. :smile:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast about an hour (or less) following a run... perhaps I need something immediately? I might start throwing in a hard boiled egg for breakfast as well, and then some other time later in the day some fruit (not a big fruit fan, but I have a few I'll eat)

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. :smile:

Yep - a few of my runner friends actually swear by some chocolate milk right after a run - a nice sugar boost and some protein all in one - and it is quick and easy to get to .....