Not lost much the past 2 weeks

Options
Hi Fitness Folk

I started my journey just over 2 months ago. Since then I have lost 30lbs which I am really happy with. I mainly stick to 1200 calories a day, sometimes go up a bit if I am still hungry but no more than about 1400. I have been going to the gym the past few weeks doing cardio and weights and burning an average of 500 cals. I eat some of the calories back but not all. Before that I was walking a lot and doing dvds at home.

The past 2 weeks I have hardly lost anything. I was hoping to get into ONEderland soon but my body seems determined to keep me at 201lbs :-(

I drink at least 2 litres of water a day. Looking at my diary the thing I normally go over on is my sugar. Some days this is due to the natural sugar in dried fruit etc. Could this be stalling my weight loss?

Replies

• Jen788134
    Jen788134 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm no expert but it sounds like you're building muscle by going to the gym. When you were walking and doing exercises at home this burned off a lot of cals. Maybe continue with what you were doing until you get to your target weight then go to the gym to tone. You could start measuring instead of weighing then you'll see you're still doing good :)
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I've been at 170 for almost a year. Granted I gained 10 pounds over the summer but I've lost the 10 pounds over the last 2 months and I'm sitting at 170 now for the past 2 weeks. Ugh!!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on the first 30 lbs loss.. you're well on your way!

Fruit sugar can't really stall a normal person's weight loss. Since you've been at a healthy, consistent deficit, here are some of the theories that I have looking at your diary:

1. Sodium .. It's hard to believe that a lot of the items on there that say they have 0 sodium actually have 0 sodium. They probably just aren't entered correctly. You may be actually having a high sodium intake and not realize it. Like the McD's that you logged the other day.. the cheeseburger, fries, soda and ketchup are definitely all more than 2 g of sodium. In this instance you may actually be retaining all the water you're drinking. I would try to consume less packaged foods too. A lot of packaged foods contain high sodium contents to preserve the flavor. You could add in more veggies and such to still keep you full without all the added sodium. A lot of them also have a higher potassium content that would help level out the sodium.

2. A spike day may be in order? If you've been in a caloric deficit regularly for 2 months its likely your body's getting used to this level.

3. I see you're using MFP's suggestions for proteins, fat, and carbs. Maybe try mixing it up.. increasing protein, decreasing carbs, and see how your body responds to that for a while.

4. You may be undereating. How tall are you? Even if I were to assume you are at an average 5'4", your BMR is 1600+. If you're walking and doing dvd's you're burning a lot of calories and you definitely need more than 1200 - 1400 calories to sustain you on a regular basis. Maybe you could try upping your calories and see what happens?

Hoping something ^^ up there helped! Good luck!
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice :-)

I will be having a spike day on Friday. I am going to a restaurant in the evening and will eat and drink what I fancy for 1 evening. I haven't been out for a while and am looking forward to it. Hope this will kick start the losses again.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It could also help mentally to make sure you don't feel deprived and such.

btw - I'll also add in that if you haven't gone to see your dr. or nutritionist, you may need to seek them out. they probably would be able to figure out whats going on better. They'll be able to run the appropriate tests to make sure everything's going right internally to not stall your weight loss journey. Sometimes they may find that you're lacking in a certain vitamin or nutrient that really is the reason. its best to find that out earlier on.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on the first 30 lbs loss.. you're well on your way!

Fruit sugar can't really stall a normal person's weight loss. Since you've been at a healthy, consistent deficit, here are some of the theories that I have looking at your diary:

1. Sodium .. It's hard to believe that a lot of the items on there that say they have 0 sodium actually have 0 sodium. They probably just aren't entered correctly. You may be actually having a high sodium intake and not realize it. Like the McD's that you logged the other day.. the cheeseburger, fries, soda and ketchup are definitely all more than 2 g of sodium. In this instance you may actually be retaining all the water you're drinking. I would try to consume less packaged foods too. A lot of packaged foods contain high sodium contents to preserve the flavor. You could add in more veggies and such to still keep you full without all the added sodium. A lot of them also have a higher potassium content that would help level out the sodium.

2. A spike day may be in order? If you've been in a caloric deficit regularly for 2 months its likely your body's getting used to this level.

3. I see you're using MFP's suggestions for proteins, fat, and carbs. Maybe try mixing it up.. increasing protein, decreasing carbs, and see how your body responds to that for a while.

4. You may be undereating. How tall are you? Even if I were to assume you are at an average 5'4", your BMR is 1600+. If you're walking and doing dvd's you're burning a lot of calories and you definitely need more than 1200 - 1400 calories to sustain you on a regular basis. Maybe you could try upping your calories and see what happens?

Hoping something ^^ up there helped! Good luck!

Hello again

Just taken a quick look the Mcdonalds Uk website and a happy meal cheeseburger has 1.5g sodium and fries have 0.5g sodium. McDonalds have done a big thing in the past and reduced the nasties in the happy meals, thats why I chose this one instead of a quarterpounder or something.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Hi Again

Well eating out seemed to work. Had a few fruit based cocktails a skewered grilled chicken kebab and a little bit of a quesidilla. I have now lost 3 lbs more.

Very happy with that. Especially since TOM is around and I normally put on weight that week :-)