How many calories?

Options
meex
meex Posts: 135 Member
I just read a thread that said to lose weight i should be eating around 2000 calories a day, i only eat 1200. I don't understand, i thought eating less would make me lose weight. Anyone have any advise on this?
I currently only walk 30 minutes a day because i had a baby only 3 weeks ago and need to wait until the 6 week mark to start proper exercise again. I'm also breastfeeding and mixed bottle feeding. What is the amount of calories i should be eating to maximise my weightloss? I want to lose AT LEAST 15 kgs before march but i would prefer to lose around 20, it's 19 weeks away!

Replies

• mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    Stick to 1800kcal and be strict with it say 4 meals a day with 450kcal per meal and see what progress you make imo 1200kcal is to little and your body will start to store food as fat for energy when it thinks it will need it. hope this helps you and good luck:)
  • kellyhook88
    kellyhook88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats btw! :)

i am also on 1200 cals a day, and i do about 30mins of walking a day to as ive only just had a baby 9 weeks ago, and its hard to find the time to do things! i haven't been doing MFP very long (just over 2 weeks) but i have lost 6lbs so far.

i don't see how eating 2000 cals will help you lose weight more than 1200, as i've always heard with diets to cut your calorie intake, i maybe wrong as i'm not experienced with dieting what so ever. but hopefully someone can help you.

xx
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You just had a baby, your body is healing...you need healthy food for that, lots of nutrients.
    Plus, breastfeeding? That requires extra calories to keep up your milk supply .
    Eat at least 1800 calories a day for the next 3 weeks until your 6 week postpartum checkup, then speak to your doctor about it.
    We are not doctors and cannot give advice in your specific situation, but one thing I DO know for sure is you should NOT only eat 1200 while healing and breastfeeding. No way!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I just read a thread that said to lose weight i should be eating around 2000 calories a day, i only eat 1200. I don't understand, i thought eating less would make me lose weight. Anyone have any advise on this?
    I currently only walk 30 minutes a day because i had a baby only 3 weeks ago and need to wait until the 6 week mark to start proper exercise again. I'm also breastfeeding and mixed bottle feeding. What is the amount of calories i should be eating to maximise my weightloss? I want to lose AT LEAST 15 kgs before march but i would prefer to lose around 20, it's 19 weeks away!

what does mfp give you?
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    yes but mfp has set that for you to lose how many pounds a week? in your position I would be aiming for no more than a pound a week especially if you are breast feeding.

I find that if I eat more, I lose more-I vary between 1300 and 1500 but if I ever have a day where I eat more then that normally kick starts my body up a notch......

I think one of the earlier posters is right, you should not really be worrying abuot this until your 6 week check, in the meantime I would think about increasing your intake........

Emma x
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    3 weeks post baby? let your body heal from that first, and then focus on losing weight and exercising! congrats btw! :)
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    HI, congrats on the baby.

You will need to eat more than 1200cal per day if you want to continue breast feeding, if you don't eat enough you won't make enough milk. BUT with MFP you can add breastfeeding into your food diary and it will actually give you more calories to eat, the same as exercise does. I hope that helps