Exercise suggestions

Options
I have been relying on excercise a great deal to stay within my calorie goal. Last week, while jogging, I injured my knee. I need some suggestions on calorie burning exercises that are low impact. I can still walk (not power walk) but running, jumping, etc are not options. I'm also very limited on time, so something I could do at home without buying equiptment would be best. Stepping outside for an hour to jog was perfect now I just need something that can replace that for a couple of months. Thanks!

Replies

• penmosha
    penmosha Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    try a stepping machine - can get for about £20 in most stores - it has low impact and you can do it in from of the TV. I used mine a lot until I bought an elliptical for the attic.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren... hope you're back to 100% soon.

Swimming is a great low-impact way to exercise and boy does it burn those calories :happy: It will take the pressure off your knee too. :bigsmile:
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Starting swimming myself for similar reason
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bummer about your injury - hate it when that happens :( I know you did say you didn't want to have to purchase equipment but you may find that a lot of people sell their used equip real cheap - and a lot of times it's like brand new... ask around and see if anyone at work is getting rid of something - I say this because I just purchased a recumbent bike and it's easier on the knees... I sit and use it at night watching TV - I can do 10 min or 30 if I want, and whatever level I want... it was one of the best decisions we've made. It may be worth saving for that one piece that will help you on your journey - if you don't have access to a pool, etc... it was just one other idea. Good luck and hope your knee gets better soon!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm also struggling with my knees at the moment. Last night I did 5 minutes of upper body cardio using various punches, arm windmilling and arm stretching (30 seconds per item then repeated), and following it up with 5 minutes of sit ups and press ups (alternating ten by ten). I then did 5 minutes of yoga stretching. Best of all it doesn't require any equipment. Sure I ripped some of it off of 30 Day Shred - after all, boxing is a good way to get cardio in if your lower body is hurting ;)

Swimming will also help.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Swimming, cycling, pull ups, press ups
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    you should look into mini trampolines (rebounding) it burns wayy more calories in a short amount of time. And very low impact also great for your lymphatic system.. they sell them for like 200 but i got one at walmart for 30 bux and had it for awhile!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    you should look into mini trampolines (rebounding) it burns wayy more calories in a short amount of time. And very low impact also great for your lymphatic system.. they sell them for like 200 but i got one at walmart for 30 bux and had it for awhile!

^ These are great - lots of types of exercise can be done on these. They have their own exercise videos.

Also - you said you could walk. Exercisetv.tv.com has a couple of free walking workouts: Start! Walking 2 Miles, and Cardio Slim Down. You could preview these and see if they would work for you. The side steps would be tricky, perhaps you could keep everything really "small" as you work your way up. The great thing about these DVDs (Walk at Home is the brand) - you can do everything at your own pace.
  • laurenalison
    laurenalison Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for the great exercise suggestions!