Whey IMO Bcaa supplementation is important PB67

Options
There are many other articles supporting this incuding alot of ifbb pros but your probably still right as you have the knowledge
ilke your pic by the way hiding behind someone else your a real man

BCAA's
How often have you walked into your local gym for a workout, only to have your attention seized by the products on sale promising rapid weight and muscle gain through amino acid supplementation? Then again, the sheer cost may have put you off the idea-and besides, being well educated in these matters, you think you know that a moderate carbohydrate and high protein intake is what the scientists say is best. Yet, almost all of us know someone who is more muscular and stronger that swear by amino acid supplementation.

Branched-chain amino acids supplements, commonly referred to as BCAA's, are very popular with athletes these days, who are searching for ways to increase lean mass and performance. The branched chain amino acids are Valine, Leucine, and Iso-leucine. One popular idea is that BCAA's can move through the blood to the brain and decrease the production of serotonin in the brain's interior, thereby lowering mental fatigue by reducing the amount of serotonin, which can create a sense of tiredness. A fair amount of scientific research supports this hypothesis[3.].

When you are training to develop a stronger, more powerful body, it is essential to stimulate and fuel your muscles at the cellular level. Branch chain amino acids (BCAA's), valine, leucine, and isoleucine, make up approximately 1/3 of muscle protein.[4]. BCAA's reduce muscle fatigue, speed recovery, decrease the loss of other amino acids from muscle during exercise and help the body absorb protein[6.]. A deficiency in any one of these aminos will cause muscle loss. Unlike other amino acids, BCAA's are metabolized in the muscle and not the liver.

BCAA's are mutually antagonistic in their absorptive qualities, therefore, must be available at the same time to insure maximum absorption into the muscle system[2.]. BCAA's are also rapidly depleted from the muscle when training. Taking BCAA's before and/or during a work out will increase performance and delay fatigue. Taking BCAA's immediately after or with a post work out meal will lower cortisol (destroys muscle) levels and replace BCAA levels in the muscles faster[8.].

What Are The Functions Of BCAA's?
BCAA's act as nitrogen carriers which assist the muscles in synthesizing other aminos needed for anabolic muscle action. In simpler terms, it is a combining of simpler aminos to form a complex whole muscle tissue[1.]. Therefore, BCAA's stimulate production of insulin, the main function of which is to allow circulating blood sugar to be taken up by the muscle cells and used as a source of energy. This insulin production promotes amino acid uptake by the muscle. BCAA's are both anabolic and anti-catabolic because of their ability to significantly increase protein synthesis, facilitate the release of hormones such as growth hormone (GH), IGF-1, and insulin, and help maintain a favorable testosterone to cortisol ratio[1].

BCAA's are also excellent anti-catabolic because they can help prevent protein breakdown and muscle loss, which is significantly important to those who are pre-contest diets. During these times of low caloric intake, the use of BCAA is strongly recommended because there is a greater risk of muscle loss due to a decrease in the rate of protein synthesis and an increase of proteolysis, which is the hydrolytic breakdown of proteins into simpler, soluble substances such as peptides and amino acids, as occurs during digestion[4.].

Research Findings
In a recent study in the Nutritional Journal of Medicine, muscle breakdown (catabolism) in endurance athletes can be reduced when they supplement their diet with BCAA's. Other studies have also shown that after a strenuous strength-training session, even in well-trained athletes, muscle catabolism is increased for a period of roughly 4-14 hours, after which a phase of muscle-building (anabolism) takes place. If the anabolic phase is greater in scale and duration than the catabolic phase, improvements in muscle strength and size will take place[15.].

So any treatments that could reduce muscle catabolism might prove beneficial. A rapid influx of amino acids into the muscle cells immediately after training will theoretically have this effect by providing an alternative source of amino acids for utilization, thus protecting the precious muscle itself. A rapidly absorbed supplement of amino acids, taken immediately after training, might be extremely beneficial[15.].

A recent study carried out by researchers at Auburn University in the US compared blood levels of amino acids in 10 male subjects (average age 30 years) after each of three possible treatments: eating a mixture of amino acids in their easily absorbed form; eating the same total amount but as whole protein (cottage cheese); and eating a mixture of the two. Each treatment consisted of a similar wide range of amino acids, and totaled about 23g protein, 5g carbohydrate, 2g fat, and also included just 20ml water. Each subject's diet was also standardized prior to treatment[15.].

After just 15 minutes, the first and third treatments (i.e., those including individual amino acids) produced a much higher level of circulating amino acids than the whole protein treatment-although, as in many areas of nutrition, there were wide variations between individual responses. A promising finding was that the problem that had been feared- -of a correspondingly quick disappearance of the amino acids from the circulation via excretion from the body by the kidneys-did not take place. Notably, there was little difference between the amino acid concentrations observed as long as some of the amino acids eaten were immediately available for absorption -i.e., after treatments one and three.

In practical terms, what can these findings mean to the athlete wishing to increase muscle mass and get the most out of the hard work put in during specific strength-training sessions? They could mean that those people who swear by amino acid supplements may have got it half-right. The use of such a supplement immediately after training may be beneficial, ideally in combination with an easily absorbed carbohydrate supplement, which can both supply the muscle cells with an alternative energy source and help raise insulin levels to encourage the transport of these nutrients into the cells.

But the other message is that only a small amount of each of these is considered necessary so long as the major post-training meal is not long delayed. Even if the protein in this meal is more slowly absorbed, the rapidly absorbed supplement should have done its job in raising blood levels quickly.

Suitable amounts of carbohydrate and protein in the post-training supplement are 25g and 10g respectively, and could be prepared yourself as a drink or a mix to be taken as soon as you walk towards the locker rooms. Your normal meal immediately after training should take care of most of your nutritional needs, but getting that edge of instant nutrient supply may be just what you need to reduce muscle catabolism and to boost the training effects. And at a relatively low cost too, if supplements are used in this way. In other words, you get the most benefit from using the supplement at the right time, but without the expense of using them as the manufacturers normally suggest.

How & When To Take Branch Chains
For optimum results in supplement form, it is desirable to take your branch chains separately from the other amino groupings if for no other reason than the fact that they totally dominate the race for entry into the body systems. In fact, they account for upward to 90% of the total amino acid uptake in the three hour period following a meal[14].

Keeping in mind that the main component BCAA uptake is elevated blood sugar and insulin "spike"; taking BCAA's with each meal and before and after a workout is ideal. They should also be taken within 30-60 minutes preceding and following an intense workout to assist in muscle regenitive process and create premium anabolic conditions.

Are There Any Side Effects?
They are completely safe. There are no side effects

Summary
Supplementing with BCAA's can result in measurable gains in both strength and muscularity. Taking branch chain amino acid before and during a work out will increase performance and delay fatigue. Since your body can not manufacture BCAA's, they must be supplied through your diet. These amino acids are needed for the maintenance of muscle tissue during physical stress and intense exercise. From the perspective of athletes, BCAA's function as anabolic agents, which allow the body to burn fat and not muscle. Therefore, branch chain amino acids are crucial in your quest for muscle growth.

Reference

Blomstrand et al., Influence of Ingesting a Solution of Branched Chain Amino Acids on Perceived Exertion During Exercise, Clin. Sci.:87, 52, 1994.
Carli et al., Changes in the Exercise Induced Hormone Response to Branched-Chain Amino Acids, Eur. J. Appl. Physiol.: 64, 272, 1992.
Goldberg, A., The Regulation and Significance of Amino Acid Metabolism in Skeletal Muscle, Fed. Proc.: 37, 2301, 1978. [
Goto, Masaru; Miyahara, Ikuko; Hayashi, Hideyuki., Crystal Structures of Branced-Chain Amino Acid Aminotransfease Complexed with Glutamate and Glutarate: True Reaction Intermediate and Double Substrate Recognition of the Enzyme. Biochemistry (American Chemical Society) v. 42 no. 14 (April 8 2003) p. 3725-33.
Kelley, G., Nutrition: A Review of Selected Nutritional Supplements for Bodybuilders and Strength Athletes, Med. Rev.: 2, 184, 1997.
McLean et al., Branched-Chain Amino Acids Augment Ammonia Metabolism While Attenuating Protein Breakdown During Exercise, Am. J. Physiol.: 267, E1010, 1994.
Mero A, Leucine Supplementation and intensive training. Sports Med. 1999:27:(6):347-358
Mero A, et al. Leucine supplementation and serum amino acids, testosterone, cortisol and growth hormone in male power athletes during training. J.Sports Med Phy Fitness 1997:37(2):137-45
Mitchell, J., DiLauro, P., Pizza, F. & Cavender, D. (1997). The effect of pre-exercise carbohydrate status on resistance exercise performance. International Journal of Sport Nutrition, 7, 185-196.
Nellis, Mary M.; Doering, Christopher B.; Kasinski, Andrea. Insulin increases branched-chain a-ketoacid dehydrogenase kinase expression in Clone 9 rat cells. American Journal of Physiology v. 283 no. 4 (October 2002 pt1) p. E853-60.
Plaitakis et al., Pilot Trial of Branched-Chain Amino Acids in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Lancet: i., 1015, 1988.
Riazi, Roya; Wykes, Linda J.; Ball, Ronaold O. The Total Branched Chain Amino Acid Requirement in Young Healthy Adult Men Determined by Indicator Amino Acid by Use of L-(1-13C) Phenylalanine. The Journal of Nutrition v. 133 no. 5 (May 2003) p. 1383-9.
Sapir, D., Nitrogen Sparing Induced early in Starvation by BCAA, Metabolism: 26, 301, 1977.
Van Hall et al., Supplementation with Branched-Chain Amino Acids and Tryptophan and Effect on Performance During Prolonged Exercise, Clin. Sci.: 87, 52, 1994.
William, Alun. Metabolic Effects of Ingestion of L-Amino Acids and Whole Protein. Journal of Nutritional Medicine, vol. 4, pp. 311-319, 1994).

Replies

• mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    Why (spelling mistake) IMO Bcaa supplementation is important PB67 before i get a smart arsed comment about that.:smile:
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Dear MrDee ~ You put alot of research into that post! I am not a body builder, but would like to increase my muscle mass some. I do the 30 Day Shred (circuit training) and walking for weight loss. I an not yet at a point where I can do the gym. So my question is: Would you recommend this supp for weight loss? *side note: I have fibromyalgia, and need to eat lots of protein *
  • mrdee555
    Options
    Dear MrDee ~ You put alot of research into that post! I am not a body builder, but would like to increase my muscle mass some. I do the 30 Day Shred (circuit training) and walking for weight loss. I an not yet at a point where I can do the gym. So my question is: Would you recommend this supp for weight loss? *side note: I have fibromyalgia, and need to eat lots of protein *

Serotonergic markers and lowered plasma branched-chain-amino acid concentrations in fibromyalgia.
    Patients with fibromyalgia had significantly lower plasma concentrations of the three BCAAs (valine, leucine and isoleucine) and phenylalanine than normal controls. It is hypothesized that the relative deficiency in the BCAAs may play a role in the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia, since the BCAAs supply energy to the muscle and regulate protein synthesis in the muscles. A supplemental trial with BCAAs in fibromyalgia appears to be justified.

So supplementing with BCAAs will defo help with your condition:smile:
  • mrdee555
    Options
    Statia152's after reading your profile i am sory about your conditions but i no its easier said than done but always stay positive, things yes could be better at the moment but they could also be a hell of alot worse. Positive thinking always:smile:
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Thank you for your response! I am pretty positive most of the time, and I do a whey protein, but I'm sure it isn't what your talking about. My stepson works at a gym, so I will visit him today to see about the Bcaa supp. If it helps my pain / fatigue, it will be worth the cost. Keep posting the info, just because people don't respond, doesn't mean it isn't helpful. XOXO
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    OP: What source is this article from?

Also, are you aware, or have you researched the effects or necessity of BCAA supplementaion in the presence of adequate protein intake?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options

Also, are you aware, or have you researched the effects or necessity of BCAA supplementaion in the presence of adequate protein intake?

This.

BCAA's are definitely what we want, but if the diet is adequately supplying enough protein, and if someone is consuming 1gm/lb/lbm then the jury is out whether we need to take more. Studies showing support for BCAA's are more than likely comparing them to low protein intakes.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    . Studies showing support for BCAA's are more than likely comparing them to low protein intakes.

Or in the presence of fasted training, IIRC.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    . Studies showing support for BCAA's are more than likely comparing them to low protein intakes.

Yup, that would also count as inadequate protein, and I guess in that respect BCAA's wouldn't hurt, but they just taste so frkken nasty.
  • mrdee555
    Options

Experienced researcher on bodybuilding .com
    Ive seen interviews with various top 15 ifbb pros who say this is the most under rated product in bodybuilding.
    I now a guy that goes to my gym was one of the top strongman in the world who doent even take protein just bcaas.
    Bottom line is protein+bcaas wil help growth, repair and less fatigue it might be expensive but i can afford to use it
    id take 400g of protein and 100g of bcaas so thats basically and extra 100g of protien that has zero kcals perfect when dieting for a show espicially.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Username please (of the person you are referring to)? I'm very active on bodybuilding.com.

If you don't want to cite this in your post then please PM me.

Also, are you familiar with Alan Aragon?
  • mrdee555
    Options

Username please (of the person you are referring to)? I'm very active on bodybuilding.com.

Mike Hajoway bb.com mate

Im gona get a look at Alan Aragon shortly and will get back to you, need to get some food into me lol
  • mrdee555
    Options

Yup, that would also count as inadequate protein, and I guess in that respect BCAA's wouldn't hurt, but they just taste so frkken nasty.

Try dymatize recoupe mate lemonade and blue raspberry are lovely
  • mrdee555
    Options

Mike Hajoway bb.com mate

Im gona get a look at Alan Aragon shortly and will get back to you, need to get some food into me lol

Is the book a worth while purchase and what is his views on bcaas my friend im open to all views on the subject:)
  • mrdee555
    Options
    I googled it there mate hes against bcaas think thats what you where geting at lol

'' Disagreement leads to investigation, investigation leads to learning.

The photo above was taken by a friend of mine with a great sense of humor (note this post here). He knows full-well that I’m not a proponent of supplemental BCAA on top of a preexistent high-protein diet typical of the fitness population, so this pic is an inside joke for those who are new to my writings.

One of the things that people miss is that most professionals in a given field tend to agree on the majority of fundamental principles. For example, I may disagree with some folks on the amount of fructose that can safely be incorporated into a diet, but that probably represents 10% of the whole picture, 90% of which I’d probably be preaching to the choir.

Another example is supplemental BCAA. There are some highly intelligent, well-educated folks that disagree with me on the lack of justification of its use under the aforementioned conditions. Guess what? That’s okay. Disagreement occurs throughout the lowest to the highest levels of research & practice. If there was no dissent, there would be little motivation to push forward with investigations that can yield more definitive answers to the grey areas of knowledge.

While I might disagree with some folks about the use of supplemental BCAAs amidst abundant high-quality dietary protein, I probably agree with them on the majority of all other topics. In any case, I took an in-depth look at the applications & limitations of BCAA supplementation in the latest issue of AARR.

One more plug — I wrote an article for wannabebig.com on the controversial issue of how much protein the body can use per meal (click here). Let me just add that Daniel Clough of AtLarge Nutrition was exceptionally great to work with – one of the coolest guys in the biz. For the record, their product Opticen is the best-tasting MRP I’ve tried thus far. I’ve been plowing through that stuff like a starved POW.

If you disagree with anything I write, that’s fine with me. What’s the worst that can come from debating a topic? One or both sides acquire new knowledge…that’s a good thing''

I like this guys attitude tbh everyone has an opinion
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I googled it there mate hes against bcaas think thats what you where geting at lol

Actually what I'm really getting at, is that it would serve you well to research people who are largely regarded as cutting-edge in the field of bodybuilding nutrition and less reliance on IFBB professionals and the bodybuilding.com supersite. If you're on bodybuilding.com frequently, hop into the nutrition section. It may change your outlook on things.

This isn't a personal attack on you, I'm just suggesting you expand your information sources.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    what is his views on bcaas my friend im open to all views on the subject:)

My assumption, although you would have to ask him, is that they are not necessary in the presence of adequate protein intake, and I would presume he is absolutely correct, since adequate protein is supplying you with everything you need, and additional BCAA supplementation on top of this is not doing anything at all.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    EL-OH-EL

I'll see your ad-copy, and raise you a meta-analysis of the peer-reviewed research.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1591S.long

"Indeed, the majority of studies, using various exercise and treatment designs and several forms of administration of BCAAs (infusion, oral, and with and without carbohydrates), have failed to find a performance-enhancing effect"

"No valid scientific evidence supports the commercial claims that orally ingested BCAAs have an anticatabolic effect during and after exercise in humans or that BCAA supplements may accelerate the repair of muscle damage after exercise"

"Also, carbohydrate ingestion during exercise can prevent the increase in BCAA oxidation. BCAAs, therefore, do not seem to play a major role as a fuel during exercise, and from this point of view, the supplementation of BCAAs during exercise is unnecessary"

"Despite the lack of strong evidence for the efficacy of BCAA supplements, athletes continue to use them. However, normal food alternatives are available and are almost certainly cheaper. For example, a typical BCAA supplement sold in tablet form contains 100 mg valine, 50 mg isoleucine, and 100 mg leucine. A chicken breast (100 g) contains ∼470 mg valine, 375 g isoleucine, and 656 mg leucine, the equivalent of about 7 BCAA tablets. One quarter of a cup of peanuts (60 g) contains even more BCAA and is equivalent to 11 tablets."

Got any REAL research to counter this, or are you just going to challenge me to another posedown?
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    It's also adorable when authors post a slew of "references" to their articles, even though they don't support the claims being made:

From your article's references:

Kelley, G., Nutrition: A Review of Selected Nutritional Supplements for Bodybuilders and Strength Athletes, Med. Rev.: 2, 184, 1997.

"While evidence indicates BCAA might be significant in enhancing protein synthesis or minimizing protein degradation, supple- mentation with these amino acids has not pro- duced significant changes in body composi- tion. Because of this I would not recommend additional supplementation if consuming a protein drink. If whey or another top quality protein formula is being used, adequate amounts of BCAA are provided."

Take a look at some of the other ones (caps added for emphasis)

Sapir, D., Nitrogen Sparing Induced early in STARVATION by BCAA, Metabolism: 26, 301, 1977.

Nellis, Mary M.; Doering, Christopher B.; Kasinski, Andrea. Insulin increases branched-chain a-ketoacid dehydrogenase kinase expression in CLONE 9 RAT CELLS. American Journal of Physiology v. 283 no. 4 (October 2002 pt1) p. E853-60.

Plaitakis et al., Pilot Trial of Branched-Chain Amino Acids in AMYOTROPHIC LATERAL SCLEROSIS, Lancet: i., 1015, 1988.

That's great if you have a starving rat with ALS, but I fail to see how this is applicable to healthy human trainees.
  • mrdee555
    Options
    I take both points there is alot of different views on this and im not saying who is right and who is wrong as i an not in a position to do so, what i do is based on my thinking and im allowed my owen opinion on things and as Alan Aragon says

''Disagreement leads to investigation, investigation leads to learning''

I choose my diet/supps for what i think has worked for me not to please anyone else as everyone does what they think is right, if you believed everything my doc said i would not be a happy man and hes ment to know something he says im killing myself but he didnt tell me that when i was age22 and 22st with near a 50ins waist i think my lifestyle no mater what supps i take is a hell of alot better now and i know what works for me

And pb67 gona take an evening of posing tonight last nights posing was a tough one lol