Cooking Challenge: Beverages

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the fifty-first round of the cooking challenge! This challenge comes to us from Iceskatefanrn winner of the egg cooking challenge.

beverage.jpg

This week's challenge is BEVERAGES.
Interpret this as you want, but here are some ideas! Cocktails, smoothies, lattes, etc. Be creative!

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday October 15th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Every spring I pick lots of rhubarb from my plants. I make rhubarb pies, puddings and marmalade. Then I came across this recipe for Rhubarb Punch in "Back to Basics: The Maine Way" cookbook (2001). It makes a huge batch, so I freeze half the recipe in ice cube trays or plastic containers.

RHUBARB PUNCH

12 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb
    4 1/2 cups sugar
    12 cups water
    1 6 oz can frozen OJ, thawed
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 1/2 large bottles Diet 7-Up (or other brand)

In heavy saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil. Boil 15 minutes, cool and strain. Stir in OJ and lemon juice. Refrigerate until well chilled. (if freezing, freeze at this stage) For party: add rhubarb syrup and 1.5 bottles of 7-Up. For individual servings: add 1/3 cup to 1 cup 7-Up. The syrup will last 2 weeks in the fridge. Entire batch serves 36.
    ** Makes a nice base for rum or vodka **

Calories 115 Carbs 27 Sugars 27

This punch is a wonderful way to use alot of rhubarb, freezes great and is a "different" thing at a party. The punch is sweet and tangy at the same time, with a twist of exotic. It is very tasty with dark rum, tequila or vodka. Float oranges slices and maraschino cherries for a beautiful centerpiece at a party.
  • mjshmily
    mjshmily Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Strawberry Cream Smoothies

1 pkg jello light -strawberry 28 cal
    1 cup boiling water 0
    1 cup ice cubes 0
    Handful of frozen berries (calories very depending on type) 30 Cal
    1/2 cup of cold skim milk 45 Cal
    6 oz vodka 390 Cal

Put jello mix into blender. Add boiling water and blend on pulse to dissolve. Add Ice and frozen berries, Continue to blend till ice is melted and and mixture startes to thicken. Add Vodka and milk and blend. If mixture gets too thick add a bit more liquid (water is fine)

Serves 4
    Approx. 123 cal per serving w/ 1.5 oz alcohol.

Different variations can be done. Lime or orange with frozen melon is nice. You can omit the frozen fruit and add a bit of yogurt.

The end result is a very fruity smoothy cocktail that stays thick and doesn't melt or run anywhere.
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Chai Latte

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons of mystic chai spice powder
    ice
    8 oz of water

directions:

1.mix powder and water
    2. put it in a blender with about a cup of ice
    3. Enjoy!

This is such an awesome recipe that I came up with, as opposed the ones at starbucks with a gazillion calories. It makes one serving and is only 140 calories!!! If you can spare the calories, you could add cool whip on top or do milk instead of water. It is so good - I was making a ton of them when I first started MFP and was missing starbucks.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Water

Note: assumes the preparer understands basic drinking concepts and applicable water faucet technologies

Ingredients:
    1 working sink that delivers safe drinking water through a faucet *
    1 glass, cup, mug, or other container that allows one to drink the contents within

1. Go to faucet
    2. Turn on water
    3. Put container under running water
    4. Fill container with water until about 3/4 full
    5. Turn off faucet
    6. Bring glass to mouth and drink
    7. Repeat as necessary

* Working sink can be replaced with other safe drinking water located in a variety of places, including but not limited to: pre-measured containers of water, including plastic bottle of water and plastic jugs through which dissemination is performed through a water cooler; water in solid form ("ice") that has been melted

Optional: include water in solid form ("ice") in the beverage to decrease water temperature; prepare water beverage and chill in refrigerator to decrease temperature; add a straw that fits in the container through which one can drink the water

Calories per serving: 0
    How many Servings: Dependent on container and availability of safe drinking water.
    Opinions: Can be bland. Very thirst-quenching.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    Water

I just want everyone to know this was not easy!
  • statia152
    Options
    LOL Thank you for your sense of humor! I like the fact that your "recipe" is easy, instructions are clear and I think the average person can handle making this beverage.
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • bubblie117
    bubblie117 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sounds great, the water recipe made me laugh!
  • evelyngrice
    Options
    Christmas themed one for me this week, because Oxford St in London has started to put up their Christmas lights & it got me all excited :) And Egg Nog is my favourite thing about Christmas <3 This recipe is from Skinnytaste.com

Skinny Eggnog Latte
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 1 • Calories: 73 • Points: 1.5 pts

2 shots espresso or 1/2 cup of strong concentrated coffee
    1/4 cup skinny eggnog
    1/4 cup nonfat milk
    additional sugar or sweetner to taste (extra pts)

nutmeg
    *optional fat free whipped topping
    Brew coffee or espresso.

Heat eggnog and combine with milk. Use frothing wand slowly up and down, side to side until eggnog and milk is thick and foamed. (Or put in blender if you don't have a frothing wand).

Pour coffee or espresso into mug, sweeten to taste and pour hot eggnog mixture over the top. Sprinkle with nutmeg and enjoy!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Guilt-free, Creamy Pina Coladas

Place in a blender:
    1 ounce of rum
    1.5 ounces of Torani sugar-free coconut syrup
    1/4 cup Breyers double churned, fat free, ice cream (or other fat free vanilla ice cream)
    1 teaspoon crushed pineapple in juice
    3/4 C crushed ice
    1 packet splenda

117 calories
    Serves 1
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    This challenge ends tonight! Get your recipes in for different beverages before 5 PM tonight!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Vote!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

The winner will be announced Wednesday October 19th at 5PM PST.
  • evelyngrice
    Options
    Get voting :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Keep voting!
  • rbryntes
    Options
    I was left off the poll. It was surprisingly difficult to write that and I'm a bit hurt, frankly.
  • evelyngrice
    Options
    I was left off the poll. It was surprisingly difficult to write that and I'm a bit hurt, frankly.

HA!

Get voting everyone :)
    Not long left!
  • statia152
    Options

I was actually thinking of voting for your "water recipe", but it wasn't there. :laugh:
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Keep voting to break the tie before the next 2 hours!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Can we get some tie breaking in here!?
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Congratulations to jennarandhaye and her Guilt-Free, Creamy Pina Coladas! Sounds delish!

Enter the sweet potato challenge:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/369275-cooking-challenge-sweet-potatoes?page=1#posts-5071615