Strength training and calories

Options
hi everyone! I just completed my first day on this app,, but confused as to why it does not calculate calories for strength training. Are you able to shed any light?

Replies

• Chelly02
    Chelly02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always put it under cardio as strength training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I always put it under cardio as strength training.

this!
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    Yeah.. under cardio as strenght training
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Multiple reasons why. Firstly because weight training does not uniformly burn calories like cardio does, since weight training has little to do with your heart rate (calorie wise I mean), there's no easy way to calculate calories from a session. Second, because weight training doesn't burn calories "in session" alone, by that I mean the calories you burn during weight training are spread out, with some coming while you do the routine, and many coming in the 8 to 24 hours after while your metabolism attempts to recover from the activity.

So can you put calories in for weight training? Sure, but it'll be a rough guess, and I wouldn't count to heavily on the accuracy of those guesses.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't weight train, just account for a few hundred calories and do the best you can. Weight training is an important part of overall health, and shouldn't be ignored, but it's not as easy to pin down as cardio is.