polar tf7 heart rate monitor

Options
i have just purchased this heart rate monitor and have a question to others that own heart rate monitors, does the strap get anoying wearing it during exercise, i can buy one without the stap for £30 more but is it worth it, thats if the shop will let me exchange the one i have just bought. thanks

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    No you will want the strap much more accurate. I don't even notice the strap most times, you will at first then it becomes second nature.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    My strap has never bothered me at all. No more than my sports bra does. And yes, using a strap is much more accurate.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You need the strap for accuracy.. so don't even think about switching it out for one that does not have a strap.

Once you get going, you won't even notice it.. I compare it to wearing a bra cause thats seriously what it feels like.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ok thanks i will keep this one then thank you for your help im clueless with these things.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I hardly know the strap is there! The Polar TF7 is what I have and I would highly recommend it!!
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • dannylives
    Options
    I just bought it last week, that very same model! I love it! No, the strap doesn't bother me. It just feels like you have something around you. I havent lifted weights with it yet but Ive used it for cardio workouts and it's fine. I love it because I can know if I'm not working out hard enough and I can know if I'm working out too hard. I figured out what heart rate zone I should be in to lose fat and so I just keep myself in between those numbers. (there is like a 5 second time lag for the heart rate readings but its easy to know when to slow down your workout or speed it up. For instance, I can run real fast and then look at my monitor and 5 seconds later my heart rate goes up. Its really not a problem at all.) Good luck!
  • alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't find the strap bothers me apart from when I don't use Body Glide or some other anti-chafing product under it. When I don't use anti-chafing products and am out for a long run (2+ hours) I tend to get chafed under the strap.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 as well and the strap doesn't bother me either. I forget it is even there once I start exercising. The strap allows for constant monitoring. I am not sure if the wrist models are truly less accurate or not but I do remember from my research into HRMs before buying the FT7 that the wrist-only HRMs only give a measurement when you touch a button or set area on it. That would be too much of a hassle for me. Plus, without constant measurement it would not be able to show you your average heart rate over the workout. The strap is really not a big deal.

On another note, if you haven't fully researched the features of various HRMs and you can return the FT7 (in case you find one with features you like better) then I would highly suggest going to someplace like HeartRateMonitors.com (where I bought mine) and compare them. In retrospect, there is another Polar HRM that I might have purchased instead of the FT7 if I had really looked into it a bit more (although I love my FT7 and think it was a great purchase.)

Finally, consider getting the Flowlink if your budget allows. It is a device that you hook up to your computer and when you put your FT7 on it after a workout it sends the data to PolarPersonalTrainer.com where you can more easily track the data. You can pull the data off the watch manually if you want to keep up with it but I find the Flowlink to be worth the money ($40 or so if I remember correctly.)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Yes btw polar makes awesome hrms. I had a ft7 and just upgraded to a ft40. I started out with a cheap proforms hrm and the polars blow it away. One of the best tools for weight lost. The in the zone part is nice as well as that you can move the watch nears the sensor and it'll change displays for you!
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have this HRM and LOVE it! I totally forget that I have the strap on. It fits under your bra quite nicely and doesn't bind, slide down or ride up. GREAT HRM!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I love mine too! I thought that I would hate the strap as well, but it doesn't bother me any more than my sports bra. I've used it for everything (running, swimming, biking, weight lifting) and never noticed the strap.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone im keeping the one i have then :-)
  • robinlschaefer
    Options
    So happy to hear I am NOT crazy. I am training for my 1st half marathon and have the FT7 and experiencing the same thing. I have gone to double bras with no luck. Today was only a 5 mile day and the underside of both my breast have a 1/2 abrasion. I thought I was fine until I stepped in the shower. I am looking for a new bra. I measure a 36C and hate any bounce. Any advice would be great. I wasn't sure it was the heart rate monitor or the elastic seam in the bra. Thanks:happy: