Does Fat Look Worse Before It Leaves?

Options
Odd question, I know, but does anyone know if fat begins to look worse (lumpy, squishy, jiggly, etc) before it goes away? I've been at a plateau for some time now and have recommitted to staying within my calorie budget and regular exercise (both cardio and strength training). The scales haven't moved, but I look thinner in some areas with other areas feeling jiggly and squishy and looking lumpy. I'm a little baffled by what's going on and what to expect next! HELP!! :)

Replies

• NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Hope someone answers this because my stomach looks gross and I am hoping that means it is breaking up and getting ready to go! I really hope this isn't what it is going to look like forever!!! : )
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact answer but I think it does! A lot of my body is looking toned but my stomach is not so stretched out anymore and just hanging there? :S
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Are you strength training? Maybe you may have lost muscle tone, giving you that "skinny fat" appearance. I recommend adopting a lifting routine.
  • amckenny
    amckenny Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hrmm, not sure and I'm definitely not an expert, but perhaps those might be areas where you've had a little fat loss, but the skin has not had time to tighten up around it completely? If so, keep drinking water, that's important for your skin's ability to replenish itself
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Yes I know from personal experience now fat gets all chunky and water filled before it leaves. My belly had not shrank at all hardly and it's gotten like chunky and you could fill like water in it. Well in a matter of a week all of a sudden my belly dropped 2.5 inches, it's usually a sign fat is breaking down and leaving. It's a good thing!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Also for reference I asked my dr a couple weeks ago and he said it'll keep doing that till its gone, it's get marblely as it breaks down. I've noticed when it does that, the inches start to drop from there. My love handles did it first now they are almost gone, then my chest, which I now only have very small moobs, and now my tummy(finally!)
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Since I have started weight training back in April my stomach as flatten alot. So I AGREE weight training is the way to go!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Lol that is my post awhile back :-) See I told you I've been through the same situation. :-D
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Also for reference I asked my dr a couple weeks ago and he said it'll keep doing that till its gone, it's get marblely as it breaks down. I've noticed when it does that, the inches start to drop from there. My love handles did it first now they are almost gone, then my chest, which I now only have very small moobs, and now my tummy(finally!)

I hope so!

I wonder if age plays a factor too?
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Dont give up!! KEEP AT IT! If you clothes fit better and you notice you are getting thinner then you are losing fat!!!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    " Does Fat Look Worse Before It Leaves"

you mean like a one night stand in the morning?
  • ladybug1009
    ladybug1009 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked at an image of adipose tissue? It looks like little white balls (which are cells). These cells are what is filled with fat. We all are given a certain amount of fat cells when we are born. How full they get is up to genetics, diet, and so on.

When you are losing weight, those cells are starting to shrink. Not all of them are going to shrink evenly. So if you feel that you're lumpy, you could be because your body takes whatever is stored from wherever it wants. This explains that you can't spot reduce.
  • blueyeb
    blueyeb Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I've lost some weight and this is my opinion on what my body has gone through recently. I think you're noticing it more now because underneath the fatty layers is a more toned and muscular body and if those muscles you have been building are finally starting to poke through and you still have some fat to loose then it makes sense that it looks worse to you. It is just "body transformation". Your body has to go through some pretty significant changes to get to where you want it to be with weight loss when you're working out and so many things are going on at a cellular level... it's bound to show on the outside too. I would just keep at it, don't feel discouraged by the current "transforming" look of your body. There's a reason why people show their before and then after pictures, the exterior will catch up and the fatty parts will eventually burn off... just give it some time. It's a good sign, it's your body changing :-)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    " Does Fat Look Worse Before It Leaves"

you mean like a one night stand in the morning?

Mwahahah
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input on this topic! It's nice not know that I'm not the only one who is/has experienced this sort of thing. :)

I am and have been weight training faithfully for the past 6 months and I definitely have a solid muscle base built up. I'm also doing cardio to burn fat as well.

d2footballJRC: Thanks for your personal experience with this and for asking your doctor about it and sharing the info with us!

I'm sticking with my program and staying the course! :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yup, I asked my doc about this, he said to just be patient. Your fat cells retain water. As fat is burned, it doesn't necessarily burn evenly. So that area will get "lumpy" and "sloshy" before the body burns the rest of the fat and lets go of the water too. He said that you should also expect some amount of loose skin, but drinking plenty of water, using moisturizer, and exercising regularly should eventually take care of that. Skin is pretty elastic so if you keep it hydrated inside and out it should shrink back up sooner or later. Just, again, be patient.
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I hope so!

DOESN'T AGE PLAY A FACTOR IN EVERYTHING???? :)
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately age has a lot to do with the way you will look once the fat is gone. The skin does not have the ability of flexing back into place the way it does when you are young, which is why you get wrinkles on the face. Doing abs and weight training does help but if you have always been heavy it is possible that your skin has stretched permanently and you may have to resort to cosmetic surgery (THIS REALLY ONLY APPLIES TO THOSE LOSING IN EXCESS OF 150LBS). I have been a yoyo dieter most of my life but I also did a lot of weight training when I was younger. After dropping almost 40lbs in the past 3 1/2 months and exercising regularly, I am seeing my muscles popping back, I am 58 and well aware that my skin will not be as taught as it used to be but I am pleased with my accomplishment and the way I feel outweighs by far the flaws of my body.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I hope so!

I hope not! I'm only 19 :(