Exercise is a "Salary"

Options
Hi everyone - very new to MFP, but I have found it extremely helpful and inspiring. I am 53, a non-insulin diabetic, who needs to lose a considerable amount of weight in order to avoid having to start on insulin.

Have been to my local gym fairly regularly, but have always had a problem with portion control and snacking So, with some help from a dietician at my local hospital, we start this journey.

The fact that MFP helps you clearly to see the impact that quality exercise makes, has inspired me to now think of my exercise as a "Salary" - I have earned those additional calories, and must now choose wisely what to do with them - save or use, save or squander? Helps me to think less of it as a "workout" and more as a "payout"!!

Here's to the journey!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    great perspective!
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    I like your thinking!
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    very cool, I just may start thinking that way as well :wink:
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I've always considered my BMR as my salary, and my exercise calories as my bonus!
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do love Smart People! Thank you!
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In some ways it's more rewarding than my work salary!
    Thanks for the new perspective, good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes and its always fun to earn calories to eat after you have used them up on breakfast and lunch and dinner is 6 hrs away.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That's a great perspective! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like that analogy. It always feels wrong to me to eat my exercise calories, but I'm understanding the reasons behind why we should. Thanks for sharing.
  • cathyblack179
    Options
    I also am diabetic. but type 2 and must exercise and loose a lot of weight to get it under control. So good luck on your quest.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    If I want to go to a nice restaurant at night or drinking with the guys, which now is not often, I go to the gym to work for my salary and then spend it that night. Lots of us do that and it works...can't do it all the time but it works!
  • TrishKennett
    Options
    Wow - had not expected such a fast and encouraging response - way to go, guys!
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well said....!~
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Exactly my approach. My calories are my currency. Is it worth spending 450c on that cheesecake? If yes, go for it! If not, dont go for it! :D
  • TrishKennett
    Options
    Thank you - God gives strength like manna - one day at a time!