Females - has your body done this?

Options
Warning - this post is going to be about female issues. If you're a guy and clicked on it anyways and continue to read.. that's on you hehe

For the last week, I've had tenderness in my breasts and the last few days cramping. I finally thought I was going to start my cycle yesterday and while I guess you could say I did, it's been a LOT lighter than it would be at the beginning. I don't have a normal 28 day cycle.. there's no really telling the # of days in it because it's not in any way regular.

I'm curious if you noticed your body change it's cycle once you'd started exercising and keeping at it for an extended period of time as I've been at this since April and I would have thought I'd have seen something different well before now if that were going to be the case.

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think that is normal. I have had some changes, but it's hard for me to relate it to weight loss because I have an IUD in and that messes with your periods too.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    After 2 months, my period did a 180 and visited me 11 days early. I have had a regular cycle for years prior. I'm still kickin' so I think it's okay.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD fitted also. I noticed a few months ago my periods got more regular and lighter than normal-every 3 weeks now which is very annoying, it started when I started my new diet because I lost 15 pounds in the first month so I figured it was to do with that-the weight loss has slowed down now to an average of 1 and a half pounds to two pounds a week but I am still getting them more frequently and lighter...... I have exercised the same through out up until a week ago when I started increasing exercise so I dont think its to do with that for me........

I would like to see what other females say though :0)

Emma x
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Mine is a mess. After a hard workout I spot now. My periods are heavier and longer( same BC for 7 years?!?!?!?) I was getting ready to call the Dr. Not sure what is going on with me. Anyone have any ideas?? And I'm always cold now...I have never been cold in my life!!!????
  • chilipena03
    chilipena03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completely missed mine when I started working out! From what I understand it's completely normal for your cycle to be strange the first couple months.
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    My body does this everytime I up my workouts and cut back to much on my calorie intake. I actually stop having a period when I workout heavy for more than 2 wks everyday and my calories levels are below 1400, I would have a calorie deficit daily of any where b/w 1500-1700 deficit daily.

I figured out this after keeping a log of food and exercise calories with my bodymedia. So I make sure to eat 1500 calories on my low burn days and 1800-1900 calories on my high burn days...since doing that I keep a regular period and have not skipped anymore periods...and the weight falls off pretty consistently.

Look back on your exercise and food journals and see if this could be the cause

edited to say: I apologize for the poor grammar choices, but I do not feel like correcting them at this time :)
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I believe that's normal. If you experience pain though, perhaps you may be overdoing it. I just wrote yesterday about my PMS changing. It's like TWO weeks BEFORE my cycle now, so........... Go figure.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Call it a "hormonal fluctuation" record it in some type of calendar... See if this is a pattern, if it is, address it with your doctor.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes. Mine came in lighter too then lasted a day longer than usual. But this time around I had no cramping so I suppose I cannot complain. I highly recommend tracking the changes and your cycle. I have an app for my droid called WomanLog that I use to track. I find it helpful to see changes and look for patterns. It is also great if you need to discuss anything with your doctor because you have all the info already tracked.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    my cycle use to kick my butt I had awful cramps and fatigue to the point I had to take a few motrins to get thru the day but Now I barely have cramps when I do there not nearly as bad as they use to be and I dont have take any pain relivers anymore and i dont have the fatigue any more either I was wondering if excerise was improving this as well
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Mine is a mess. After a hard workout I spot now. My periods are heavier and longer( same BC for 7 years?!?!?!?) I was getting ready to call the Dr. Not sure what is going on with me. Anyone have any ideas?? And I'm always cold now...I have never been cold in my life!!!????

I'm always a lot colder now too! I have wondered if its because my body is not metabolizing as much food as it used to.

As for my period though... can't say i've seen changes. However I've always been very active since childhood, and have always had a regular cycle that you could practically set a clock to. :P Right now I'm trying a new BC so I just attribute any differences to that. :)
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes. Mine came in lighter too then lasted a day longer than usual. But this time around I had no cramping so I suppose I cannot complain. I highly recommend tracking the changes and your cycle. I have an app for my droid called WomanLog that I use to track. I find it helpful to see changes and look for patterns. It is also great if you need to discuss anything with your doctor because you have all the info already tracked.

That is very useful to know, thank you, I will see if I can get that on the i phone.

Emma x
  • McPenguin
    Options
    Hey - this is a definite YES for me.

I am not in any way regular either. But the exercising changed my hormones enough that when I DO get a period... it's different than it was.

A few times I thought I might be pregnant because of the "new to me" symptoms. (breast tenderness, cramping that felt like "pulling", really light flow...) then other times I've inexplicably bled everywhere and had to stay home changing clothes 6 times a day... I felt like Carrie from the Stephen King movie. Yes, TMI I know. But you already warned the dudes who might be reading through the thread out of morbid curiosity. LOL.

Fat stores up estrogen. As you burn fat, it releases it into your bloodstream, and it changes your hormone levels gets to mess with the cycle at times. So if you do some extra exercising... things are going to change.

Your body will find it's idea of normal in time. Keep in mind, if you're on the "losing weight" stage of your journey, fat loss will equal changes.

That said, we're not doctors (well, maybe some of us might be. But I'm definitely not lol). If you feel something *else* might be going on, or your worried about it, please see a doctor instead of just taking our opinions as fact. I wouldn't want you to be sick, but content with our opinions for a diagnosis.

I hope things even out for you soon! :flowerforyou:
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm a regular 28 days and when I work out it will definitely get off. It seems the harder I work out the more messed up it gets. I talked to my OB and she said it's normal. Your body will slowly start getting use to the extra activity and will adjust itself eventually.

One thing I like is that it was getting lighter and my cramps were getting easier to deal with.. well without the normal Midol I use to take.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 27. Mine has always done it's own thing. I think I have a 31+/- day cycle. I go about 28 + 3-4 before I start. I usually go for 4.5 days, but since I've gained some weight, I see it lasting 5-6 days. I think it has to do with hormones and aging. Additionally, fat cells are linked with higher estrogen levels....maybe why some of us get irritable, etc. when overweight. 11 days is a long time. Periods shouldn't last more than a week...the nurse in me talking. PLEASE see your doc if your period lasts more than 7 days.
  • McPenguin
    Options

I'm freezing all the time. So's my mom - we're on similar weight loss journeys. I don't know medically why that is, but we both just chalk it up to having less fat to insulate us. LOL.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

I'm freezing all the time. So's my mom - we're on similar weight loss journeys. I don't know medically why that is, but we both just chalk it up to having less fat to insulate us. LOL.

That is what I was thinking about less fat insulating you! LOL
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and exercise can definatley affect your cycle. :) I tried for a baby for 8 years.. and the only thing that worked.. was losing weight!! lol I know some people are told to lose weight but I didn't get that advice and lost weight for me.. low and behold within 3 months i was pregnant! :)
    So.. keep an eye on the changes, if you bleed for too long or are worried get checked out but most likely just your cycle adjusting.

There was a previous poster who said about pain 2 weeks before cycle.. i'd say that was ovulation pain and if it's bad I'd speak to your gp just in case it's something they need to know about / check.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Hi there! I was noticing the same thing! I am on the very low hormone BCP so my "typical" cycle had already become a bit lighter but once I started working out regulalrly and cutting calories I have noticed that it is basically just enough to be annoying(very light to almost nothing and shorter by about 1-2 days)

I DID go see my doctor last week for the "annual" and discussed it with her. She said it was perfectly normal and as long as everything was still on a fairly regular cycle and I had no pain or discomfort it was fine! Which for me, I could set a clock by my start day/time. : )

Best thing is, if you feel uncomfortable about it you should ask. Even just checking with your doctors nurse will help ease your mind!!
    Good Luck!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I've noticed that the older I get the colder I get as well. I've always attributed it to just a "getting older" factor and the fact that our blood may not circulate as well? Who knows on that aspect.

I should have mentioned that I'm not on any kind of birth control - no need for it as my husband had a vasectomy years ago after the birth of our 2nd child (my request though now I regret it as I see all these pregnant women and want another baby but that's another story LOL).

I can try and track the changes, but i'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. I may have a cycle 2 months in a row, and then go 4 without. Maybe I'll look for an App for my iPhone. There's one for everything else.. I'm sure there's one for that too. Unless someone has a suggestion for one?

Ms. Penquin, I know exactly what you mean by the description of pulling w/ the cramping. I clot really bad (usually) during my cycle and I usually feel that the pulling sensation is the lining pulling away and thus why I clot so much.