What's your "mantra?"

Options
I just recently am able to run a mile on the treadmill. But when I get about 3/4 of the way there, I feel like I want to be done. So I have to think of certain things.

Some of the things I think of:

"This is for my future students! I want to be an inspiration"
"I want to be a healthy person for life"
"This pain is only temporary"

I also try and imagine playing soccer like I used to before my knee surgeries.

What do you think of when you are ready to quit?

Replies

• Silentspring
    Options
    These are not exercise ones but food ones

1: "Little pickers wear big knickers" - for when I just want to have a little taste of something I shouldn't

2. "Nothing tastes as good as being thin" - when trying to make a choice about what to eat

To keep exercising I find if I run outside then I can't give up early as I still have to get back to where I started from!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    "If I quit, I'm going to get over-run by zombies."

"Or worse. Grandma is going to jog right past me."
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I go with the mental attitude of Harry Potter at the end of the Prisoner of Azkaban, when he knew he could summon his patronus because he already did.

I tell myself that when I run and it starts to hurt, "You can do this because you've already done it!" Maybe not this distance, this incline, this pace, but I've done it before, and I'll do it again.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I am a machine, I am an elite, I am meant to do this.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I always just think "don't do something now that will piss you off later" i.e. don't quit
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I try to think about something else, if I'm really winded and want to quit. Usually, I have my MP3 player on, so I just concentrate on the music. If the music's uptempo and I can get my pace in sync with it, then in effect I'm dancing, and it adds some fun. If I'm at the Y, I might find a woman nearby that I can sort of check out without being too obvious about it. There's always a way to divert one's attention from a little bit of present pain.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    "Don't complicate it. It really is this easy."

"Fluctuations. They happen. A lot. Long-term trends are truth. Unless you overate by 14,000 calories, you did not gain 4 lbs. of fat overnight."

"NET what MFP tells you. That means eat your exercise calories. If and when that stops working for you, eat more or less."

...which leads me to my next one:

"Do what works for you. One week is like a nanosecond in weight loss time, so be patient with new changes."

"Stalls/plateaus happen. Sometimes for a painfully long time. Stick with it and the weight will go away."

"Lighten up. This is the internet."

"I'm just a fat girl who got less fat by eating less food. I have opinions but I'm not always right. I just try to understand how things work and use that knowledge to help people who are even newer to weight loss than I am."

"Exercise is NOT mandatory for weight loss. It is, however, mandatory for fitness, hotness and healthness."

"Healthness is not a word."

...for further reading...see my signature. XD
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    "Don't complicate it. It really is this easy."

"Fluctuations. They happen. A lot. Long-term trends are truth. Unless you overate by 14,000 calories, you did not gain 4 lbs. of fat overnight."

"NET what MFP tells you. That means eat your exercise calories. If and when that stops working for you, eat more or less."

...which leads me to my next one:

"Do what works for you. One week is like a nanosecond in weight loss time, so be patient with new changes."

"Stalls/plateaus happen. Sometimes for a painfully long time. Stick with it and the weight will go away."

"Lighten up. This is the internet."

"I'm just a fat girl who got less fat by eating less food. I have opinions but I'm not always right. I just try to understand how things work and use that knowledge to help people who are even newer to weight loss than I am."

"Exercise is NOT mandatory for weight loss. It is, however, mandatory for fitness, hotness and healthness."

"Healthness is not a word."

...for further reading...see my signature. XD

These are the in your head workout mantras?? Holy shiza, you've got a busy brain. :D
  • Jladd42
    Jladd42 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Best. Mantra. EVER!!!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

These are the in your head workout mantras?? Holy shiza, you've got a busy brain. :D

I don't have like a go-to mantra. It's always something different and these things have helped me, so maybe they will help someone else. Also, since I haven't really started working out yet, they're more just general thoughts. Pretty common stuff around here.
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Hahahaha! Love it. Someone has been watching a bit too much of The Walking Dead! ;)
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    I go with the mental attitude of Harry Potter at the end of the Prisoner of Azkaban, when he knew he could summon his patronus because he already did.

I tell myself that when I run and it starts to hurt, "You can do this because you've already done it!" Maybe not this distance, this incline, this pace, but I've done it before, and I'll do it again.

This is the best thing I've heard all day!!! This is totally what I'm thinking next time!!
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    When I run and feel like stopping before time is up:

1. I think about all the people older than me in their 50's, 60's, 70's, etc. who can out jog me at 21yrs old.
    2. "Pain is fear leaving the body."
    3. "I need this. I can do this. Don't stop."
    4. "Keep going. You want it. 120."

Things like that. I also think about when I was skinny and how I am 21 years old and should be able to push my body. I am at my PEAK age. I shouldn't waste it watching T.V. on a couch.

M.
  • starmist
    starmist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body." -navy seals and emo people
    "do unto others before they do unto you"-me

Wow, the first quote is AWESOME. :D
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options

"Or worse. Grandma is going to jog right past me."

ROFL!!! :laugh:
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    From the Matrix Reloaded: "The problem is choice."

*I* have the power to choose my Matrix...to make it anything I want it to be.

(yeah, yeah I know...not something from Pixar :wink: )
  • fat_tastic
    Options
    I think of looking like a thanksgivikng day parade float in my wedding dress.........