College Exam Food Care Packages...Need suggestions...

Options
My brother is off at school (shout out to Wright State University)...Anyways...they sent home an order form for a Survival Care Package for exams...

OMG...The food on the lists is CRAZY!!! My poor brother will end up gaining 10 lbs. from all the junk!!!

I am opting out of using their listing and gonna create my own basket to send...Can everyone start throwing me some suggestions as to what would be good to send?

The one that they have consists of:

Cheeze Its
Pop tarts
Oreo Cookies
Ritz Bitz
Jolly Ranchers
M&M's
Smarties
Dum Dums
Cup of Soup
Trail Mix

Just to name a few...

Replies

• jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Send him back a scale, a healthy eating cookbook for people who don't have a ton of time, and a gift card to a local grocery store. :-P
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i just graduated last spring ( i changed schools and lost a year of credits so i was there for 5) but i always liked when my dad sent me the ones that had half fruit and half "junk". do you have that option? all college kids love the sugar boost, and the carbs. then the fruit to balance it all out!
  • jtcleveland
    Options
    almonds!
    clif bars
    erin baker breakfast cookies (if they sell them where you're at, not sure if they're a local thing or not)
    popcorn

and the grocery store gift card is a great idea!
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I mean as a college student I would LOVE a junk food filled package, but if your brother is attempting to eat healthy I guess I'd recommend.

100 calorie (or 94% fat free) popcorn
    Pretzels
    Trail Mix is fine, maybe unsalted or lightly salted instead.
    Fat Free Pringles are delicious
    Granola Bars
    Dark Chocolates
    Fruit Snacks
    Dried Fruit
    Cups of Soup or Pasta

really I've seen worse care packages than the one wright state has sent out, but it IS probably cheaper to build your own.
  • dashnigma
    dashnigma Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Almonds. Mmmmm
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    pirate booty! tastes delicious and lower cals in comparison to other 'junk foods'...also, nuts, protein bars, cookbooks.

your brother is lucky to have you!
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ramen- staple college food lol, - popcorn is good!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky & money for beer.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Home baked cookies or brownies

I LIKED junk at exam time. Is your brother wanting to lose weight or no?
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I know when I was in college, my mom & dad used to call the closest grocery store ( to my dorm or apt ) and order groceries to be delivered for me and just pay for it with their credit card. I could either pick it up or they would call ahead and then deliver it. That came in handy since I was in class or exams and didn't always have a car.
    They would send me all kinds of good food - fresh fruit that will stay good for a few days without refrigeration ( apples, bananas, oranges etc.).
    Dry soups, mixed nuts, package of tea, crackers, popcorn, peanut butter, bread, and some canned items like tuna and chicken.

Hope that helps
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in college and we just got that form too! She is very thin and eats healthy for the most part so when I do send her stuff it is usually home baked or dark chocolate. Just sent her a package this week with homemade dark chocolate chip cookies, a couple dark chocolate bars, Halloween coffee mug, chapstick and a Panera gift card.

She shops at Trader Joe's which we do not have here so I think the food she buys is pretty good.

But I definitely think nuts, especially plain ones - unsalted without added oils. Most oils that nuts are roasted in are bad for you - and unless they are organic contain GMO soybean or cottonseed oil.

I think Clif bars or other organic type bars is a good suggestion. You can also find a lot of good homemade recipes online for protein bars.

Also you can find some fruit snacks now that are not made with HFCS. Annie's Naturals makes some and so does the Clif bar company. Annie's Naturals also has healthier snacks such as Cheddar Bunnies which my daughters love.

Vitamins or immunity booster might be a good idea - or even Zicam just in case you brother starts to feel cold symptoms during this time.

Teas and coffee are good.

If you can find it hot cocoa mix that is dark cocoa and does not include corn syrup or other nasty stuff.

You could also include non-food items like lots of sharp pencils, an eraser, zip drive, notepads etc.

Good luck!