What is Panko?

Options
I went shopping a few weeks ago and a recipe called for PANKO. My BF's gma said it was a type of veggie. Looked and looked. Never found it. Oh well...I'll skip that recipe (grocery shopping was a last minute decision and I had no time to prepare my lists) or try it later.
Yesterday she said "Oh It's just bread crumbs! I don't know why I was thinking veggies!" OH OK! I have those! I dug the recipe back out this morning and it says....
Ingredients:
-whole wheat bread crumbs
-panko

.....so panko isn't "just bread crumbs" I'm assuming. I don't think they would say "bread crumbs" then turn around and use a different word for the same ingredient.

So...WHAT THE HECK IS PANKO!???!!!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's a type of breadcrumbs. You can google it.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I think they are like Japanese bread crumbs. A little crispier and different texture than regular bread crumbs.
  • Busyboymomx3
    Busyboymomx3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    its a japanese style breadcrumb...much lighter and crispier. My favorite
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of recipes call for it to be mixed with regular bread crumbs. Definitely google it for more details
  • hurton
    hurton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Chinese bread crumbs. You'll find them in the Asian isle at the groceries.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Panko is a form of bread crumb type ingredients that allow you to add different textures to your food. You would typically see panko coated shrimp or such. I love panko, I coat chicken, salmon, and shrimp with it then bake. It gives the food a crunch without the deep fryer.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    Options
    and by chance, is your recipe for healthy baked chicken nuggets? :bigsmile:
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    In my grocery store, it's often near the seafood department, on a shelf with things like batters and cocktail sauce.
  • Wow! OK...Thanks!
  • and by chance, is your recipe for healthy baked chicken nuggets? :bigsmile:
    from skinnytaste.com?!?!!! it is! haha
  • MrsRipdizzle
    Options
    That is one of my family's favorite recipes. ;o) Although I didn't have panko before so I always made it with just the bread crumbs...and I had to increase the olive oil to cover all the chicken. I just bought panko last week so I'm anxious to make it that way to see what the difference is in taste.
    and by chance, is your recipe for healthy baked chicken nuggets? :bigsmile:
    from skinnytaste.com?!?!!! it is! haha