Epiphany - dare to start the journey

Options
I had an epiphany about 5 months ago, when I realized that people successful with weight loss believed in themselves. They may have needed someone to believe in them at first, however I realized that’s what I was missing. I didn’t have encouragement or someone to tell me they believed in me, and I lacked faith in my own ability. So I finally made the decision to believe in myself (which sounds kind of cheesy, but it’s true). I decided I could do this.

I started with a couple of notes around my home “You CAN do it”, “I believe in you”, that kind of thing. I started to watch my calories, and after a couple weeks, started to add in exercise. I look at where I started and go “Yay!” Then I look at where I need to be and get worried. Because I’d love to have the pounds just melt off, but it will take time and that’s when discouragement sets in. I’ve reached out to some close family and friends, and I don’t feel I’m getting support. They’re glad I’m making changes, but they’re not actively helping me stay on the path.

So I’m reaching out to a bunch of likeminded strangers, hoping to find friendship and encouragement. Recommendations on ways to be fit, not just to weigh less. And, like my screen name implies, someone to challenge me once in a while and follow up. So if you're out there, and willing to coach and befriend, I'd love to meet you. :smile:

~Dare

Replies

• NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You just inspired and impressed me consider me your first of many, friend request sent.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    you CAN do this. it's just simple math, not hard at all but it's NOT an overnight fix- give yourself time and love yourself and it will happen
    Good luck!
    friend me if you like (tho I do tend to be ornery)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Welcome, I've had the same thoughts on where I need to be and get a bit worried if I'll ever make it but I just keeping going. No quitting here.

Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • damecaite42
    damecaite42 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are SO right- believing in yourself is such an important part of success in weight loss (I am just a few pounds from my goal weight, almost 60lbs down from my highest weight.) And surrounding yourself with positive people to encourage you, push you and hold you accountable is a huge part of that. I'm not a fitness expert, but I love to exercise and I'm continuing to try to improve my diet. I'd be happy to join your team, so feel free to add me as a friend! :)

Kay
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request. I have not personally met anyone on my friends list but it is definitely encouraging to have people giving you support. It sort of makes you feel accountable for something.
  • disneydancer
    Options
    Dear Dareacceptor,
    Awww...I was moved by your post, friend request on it's way. I share your comments as well. I've been trying to loose weight for a year to no avail *sigh*. I too realized that I didn't believe enough in myself and I started to make small changes. I joined MFP in Jan 2011 with optimism and hope, only to fail myself and fall of the fitness wagon 10 days later.

I would LOVE to share encouragement with you and ANYONE else who reads this and could use a MFP friend who is doing the exact same thing you are here to do!

Blessings everyone!!
    Lets do this!
  • StefThi
    StefThi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh I am in on that! I feel exactly the same. I do get very exited every time I get into my healthy eating/exercising routine and research loads, try out new recipes and loving it... and then at some point the self doubts come like "you've tried it so many times and you've always failed so why bother" etc etc... why bother? because we are worth it!!! I know believing in yourself is the most important bit but at the same time I know how impossible it seems sometimes...

over the years I have become really good with nutrition, healthy recipes and exercise... so feel free to ask for advice anytime. I could use someone to kick my *kitten* too... the most annoying thing is, that I know that i know everything I need to know to succeed but I just can't seem to stick to it... but I can!!!! woooooooh

sorry... haha
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with all you said, It's Funny to me that we all have Real People in our everyday lives, Yet Have to get our Back Patting done On this site, I too have signs all around, "Success is a ladder that can not be climbed with your hands in your pockets!" "Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is watching" On my Own Profile "If it is to be it's up to me" When I started my Journey I asked some others to join me, Sadly no takers, So Before My Daughters friend told me about this site, I felt I was Going to do this on my own! Not so any More, I found I have the BEST of the BEST People on my side, From All Over the Place! My Husband of 100 years Brought in Some Snickers and a Bunch of Other Candy the other day, I Never wanted even one, Because I Owe more to myself and My New People who are watching and encouraging me on my path. Stay Possitive and You WILL DO THIS! Thanks for sharing!

IF you think I can Help, I welcome New Folks! Other wise take the Greatest of Care!
  • dareacceptor
    dareacceptor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well now I feel silly for being hesitant to ask for help, because y'all responded so quick and positively. My support group is already growing. Thank you!!

Now I admit to being a little anxious because people will be holding me accountable... :wink:
  • kakelly1974
    kakelly1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Reading your post was just MY epiphany! Maybe believing in myself just this once will get me back on track in other aspects of my life as well?