B12 help

Long story short I've been tired my whol life! I found out 11 years ago that I'm verry anemic,so I take iron,but I'm still tired! So I started looking up my symptoms and I'm pretty sure I've got a B12 defficiancy(sp). Looking at the symptoms I have 8 out of 11 of them. So here's my question,have you been diagnosed,if so how hard was it to get the diagnosis(sp)....sorry for the spelling,I can't spell to save my life lol....thanks for any input and if you don't have it but read this can you bump it so I could possibly get a answer :)

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I don't know about B12, but I started taking D3 and that helped my energy.
  • I'm both anemic and I have a B12 deficiency. I take supplements for both. I feel a huge difference when I don't take them. And another weird thing, is I get crazy bad hangovers when I don't take them...cause both contribute to dehydration!
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    I'm both anemic and I have a B12 deficiency. I take supplements for both. I feel a huge difference when I don't take them. And another weird thing, is I get crazy bad hangovers when I don't take them...cause both contribute to dehydration!
    how did you get diagnosed with it...is it the same as an iron test?
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    I don't think it hard to get diagnose I used spell check Im the same, you can get a blood test, I will find out my results tomorrow I had the works done D3 thyroid, calcium, etc etc Never been diagnosed yet, keep my fingers crossed. But I have had low potassium and had to have the IV very painful
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    i take a b12 vitomen :] i also take fish oils. just the type from walmart.
    i had mono 4 years ago and mono stays with you forever. im always tired so this helps
    i drink crystal light energy strawberry flavor, helps me get in my daily water and a tinny kick of energy
  • Jeepinmom4
    i had mono 4 years ago and mono stays with you forever. im always tired so this helps
    i drink crystal light energy strawberry flavor, helps me get in my daily water and a tinny kick of energy
    haha yea I use them all the time,I feel no diffrent...sad to say today I took a no~doze and STILL took a 2 hr nap...I hate it! I want to be normal...or at least wake up and not wanna go rite back to bed.
  • brit49
    haha yea I use them all the time,I feel no diffrent...sad to say today I took a no~doze and STILL took a 2 hr nap...I hate it! I want to be normal...or at least wake up and not wanna go rite back to bed.

The only way, to find out is to have a blood test, and If you are B12 lacking they will put you on a drip.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member

The only way, to find out is to have a blood test, and If you are B12 lacking they will put you on a drip.

Are you a medical professional? This sounds wrong to me. I can understand a "drip" for Potassium, because an imbalance could be dangerous with Potassium, but not for B12. I think you are making an assumption.

( for the record, I'm not a medical professional either.....but be careful of this type of "advice")
  • brit49

Are you a medical professional? This sounds wrong to me. I can understand a "drip" for Potassium, because an imbalance could be dangerous with Potassium, but not for B12. I think you are making an assumption.

( for the record, I'm not a medical professional either.....but be careful of this type of "advice")

Not a doctor, but in medical profession , My mother was B12 lacking and that what happened to her, everyone should seek a doctor advice, and not take internet advice! has fact. Im just saying
  • Jeepinmom4

Not a doctor, but in medical profession , My mother was B12 lacking and that what happened to her, everyone should seek a doctor advice, and not take internet advice! has fact. Im just saying
    I plan on talking to my doctor about this,I just gotta get insurance first...I doubt bloodwork is cheep!
  • brit49

I plan on talking to my doctor about this,I just gotta get insurance first...I doubt bloodwork is cheep!

I remember my mother had a drip for something else, she got an injection for B12 Sorry about that.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    How do you sleep? Have you thought about a sleep disorder? If you are not sleeping well, it can affect you during the day. Some people have sleep apnea where they wake up constantly during the night from not breathing but they do not know it. It can cause you to be tired during the day because your sleep cycle is being interrupted over and over again all night long. Have you considered sleep?
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    It's probably unlikely that your B12 deficient due to dietary reasons. Fish, chicken, beef, eggs, cheese are all sources of B12. Vegans are at risk (because they dont eat these foods). Also, you have 7-8 years of B12 stored up in your body so it takes a LOOONG time to get a dietary deficiency.
    However, parasites such as diphyllobothrium latum can eat up any of the B12 your ingesting, or dysfunction of your parietal cells can cause the vitamin to not be absorbed (this is called pernicious anemia- if you want to look it up).
    Don't self diagnose, because the symptoms are always super general. All it takes is a blood test (I'm in Canada, so I have no idea what it would cost), probably not much.
    The doctor will look at the iron in your blood, as well as the size of your red blood cells.
    In the meantime, take a multivitamin or B12 (a pharmacist could help you pick something out) if your worried your not getting enough.

I'm sure this has already been said- but make sure your eating enough, sleeping well, and don't wear yourself out. Feeling tired isn't always a medical issue, but a life-issue.
  • I have a hard time seeing a B12 deficiency unless you are a vegan. Best bet is to see a doctor, evaluate what you are eating and doing, and go from there. There are many different issues that could cause tiredness: lack of sleep, too much exercise, not enough food, hypothyroidism, other vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Talk to a professional.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    My doctor did a blood test and I found out I have very low B-12 levels. I now take supplements and my B-12 is at normal levels, however I never felt any different pre- and post-supplements.
  • brit49
    So I got the results for blood work all is well, I'm just a little low on D3 but not much. You should go to the doctor, it will set your mind at ease and alot of the lab will accept payment schedule, and they have low cost health center scattered around USA according to your income, worth checking out, wish you all the best.