Question for breast feeding mama's

Options
Hi! It has been suggested to me that I not cut my calories too much while breastfeeding because I will need them to produce ample supply of milk and to keep my energy up.

I was wondering if I should just eat my BMR in calories for weight loss? I know for some women BF can burn up to 500 calories per day. I was curious if anyone on here is successfully losing weight and breastfeeding with out living off of 1200-1600 calories per day.

My BMR would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2300 calories per day.

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    In your food log search "breastfeeding". There are several options available based on your level of "intensity". Choose the one that is most appropriate and it will add calories to your daily goal.
  • mia427
    mia427 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was able to workout hard when breastfeeding and have more than enough milk. I used MFP to make sure I was eating at least 1800 cals a day and then worked out and BF a minimum of 7 times in a 24 hour period the first few months. I wouldn't stress about it too much and hey CONGRATS on breastfeeding. You go momma! My son and I made it 15 months
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to breast feed for 2 years. Then ween and potty train and then have baby number 2! :)

And lose almost 100lbs in there somewhere. DH reminds me that right now all that matters is personal health and if I don't make my goal in record time it is ok because I'm doing something important right now.

I guess I was just concerned about the calorie intake. Do you think a La Leche League could help me?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of months you shouldn't worry about losing weight. Just focus on taking care of yourself and your baby. There's enough stress and enough to worry about. Plus, it can take that long for good breastfeeding habits to be established. Once you have established your milk supply and you and your baby have the hang of everything you can add in some exercise. But, you still don't need to cut calories.

You don't need to be in a rush to lose weight after having a baby.
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of months you shouldn't worry about losing weight. Just focus on taking care of yourself and your baby. There's enough stress and enough to worry about. Plus, it can take that long for good breastfeeding habits to be established. Once you have established your milk supply and you and your baby have the hang of everything you can add in some exercise. But, you still don't need to cut calories.

You don't need to be in a rush to lose weight after having a baby.

I try to remind myself that but I am so eager to get the weight off. Lol... I want to get down to 220 by middle of 2013.... :/

I need my DH to just look at me and say... "Hannah, calm down. You will make it to your goal..."
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I didn't meet my goal before I got pregnant this time and it was frustrating. But, I was thankful for the weight I did lose and my healthy eating habits have made this pregnancy much healthier. I've gained between 10 and 15 pounds and I only have 10 weeks to go, so I'm confident I'll gain less than the 30 pounds I gained with each of my first two.

If you breastfeed, eat a very healthy diet and get some exercise (even walks are great if you have your baby in a sling or front-pack carrier) you'll burn fat without trying very hard and you won't have to cut calories. Doctors recommend you eat your maintenance amount of calories plus what you burn from exercise and breastfeeding. And chances are you'll be hungry enough to eat that much! Just make it healthy, snack on fruits and vegetables and avoid junk foods and processed/prepackaged foods and you can eat as much as you need to without having to worry about getting too many calories.

Honestly, just give yourself a couple of months to get to know your baby. There's a lot to learn when it's your first and everything can be overwhelming. My daughter didn't let me leave her side for the first couple of weeks. Even if she was sleeping I couldn't get up to go to the bathroom or to get some juice without her screaming. Take naps when you need to, which you will. Eat when you need to. I recommend making a bunch of healthy meals and freezing them so you can reheat them later. It's almost impossible to cook a meal when you have a newborn, but you don't want to rely on frozen dinners. Just focus on your baby and your healthy diet and exercise habits.