Trainer gains weight to see clients view

Options
lq022
lq022 Posts: 232 Member
I found this article interesting ... this personal trainer is giving himself 6 months to gain 70 pounds, and then he;s going to take the weight off in 6 additional months. He's doing this so he can understand the emotional, mental and physical challenges his clients experience everyday. His verdict so far? -- Food addictions are real; he feels sluggish, lethargic etc, and is getting headaches when he doesnt drink soda for a day ...

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/why-a-personal-trainer-is-making-himself-obese-on-purpose-2583990/

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I bet he's going to hate his life when his pantalones don't fit. AYE CARAMBA
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I saw this and I wasn't sure what to think. I'm glad that he is trying to see what it's like to be overweight so that he can tell clients he's been there. But then again I was scared because losing and gaining that much weight is sooo unhealthy! As a former yo-yoer I can speak to that...although I never lost/gained as much as him.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Geting to know your clients, great way to help motivate.. Thanks for sharing
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I found this yesterday and thought it was good, but that it left out a lot of the explaination. I would like to know how he plans on losing it back off and what he thinks of being overweight more. But overall I really liked the article
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just read this article on yahoo and think it's awesome. He's taking time to walk in their shoes and see the struggle first hand of trying to lose the weight. This is awesome. Fit2Fat2Fit. He has my support and I will surely be watching his journey. He'll be on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on October 28th. http://fit2fat2fit.com.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I think it is great that he is doing this so he can experience what his clients are experiencing. This in the long run may help him understand where they are coming from and in return be able to guide them more effectively to a healthier lifestyle. :smile: BUT on the other hand, I dislike what he is doing to his body. Not in the sense that he is no longer a "smokin' hottie" but for the simple fact that he is jeopardizing his health. :ohwell:
  • digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Excuse me while I go exercise some more.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I couldnt believe even just after 3-4 weeks how much his muscles just .. deflated! He really was so hot before lol .. ( I sound so shallow!) .. But it really does go to show you that once you stop putting the work in just how fast things can go downhill.

I think it's going to be relatively easy for him to get the weight off .. mainly for the fact that the muscle will still be there (for the most part) .. alot of it is going to have to be cardio and eating better .. but think about it .. all of us that are on here that have a lot of weight to lose ... it took us YEARS to put it on ... to put it on for 6 months and then take it all off isn't going to be as difficult as its been for us who have had bad habits/lack of exercise for years ... I'm not concerned about him not taking it off, but on the other hand, its definately not healthy. He did touch upon it a little in the article saying that obese people go around for years with health problems and once they start dieting/exercising you can more or less cure yourself of these ailments.

I'd like to read more about the emotional/mental part of this journey for him as well!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea. Sort of like wearing a fat suit or the empathy preggo suit. Its so easy to say eat right and exercise. But when you have an extra 60lbs to carry its hard as heck. i think more people should get a real look at what overweight people deal with on a daily basis. It's not just physical but also emotional.
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    Thank you so much for this site. I am going to watch his blog and hope it will keep inspiring me to keep at my weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Unless he was super fit ALL through his life, most trainers have gone through at least one period in their life that they were overweight. I've ballooned up to 215lbs at my heaviest and didn't feel good about it. I already KNEW what I needed to do to get back into shape, so dropping down to 185lbs in 4 months wasn't too difficult.
    It's nice that he wants to "see it", but IMO he's doing it to promote himself more. If you get a trainer to get fat and lose the weight, then it's obvious he knows what he's talking about. And people who see it will flock to him.
    But what he's doing to get fat is only part of the equation. He already had discipline and the desire to exercise. This isn't true with the majority of people who are overweight/obese or they wouldn't be that way to start with.
    One of the biggest challenges for myself is to get people who are overweight/obese to CONSISTENTLY adhere to a good exercise schedule and put in the effort. Many will do their sessions with me (and I give them homework), but don't follow through with the homework. Homework consists of doing cardio and working out on the days they don't work out with me. Since I can see when they come in through gym attendance, I know if they are BSing me or not. So all in all a good eye catching article and maybe a little better insight, but there's more to it than just gaining a bunch of weight and taking it back off.