Anyone did elimination diet?

Options
Temporalia
Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
Don't know if i'm at the right place but...here it goes. I've been feeling increasingly worst when eating in the last year, heartburns, bloating to a ridiculous point where I can barely breath, disgusting burps (sorry tmi), gas, etc.

My doctor ordered a couple of tests, all came back negative (blood test for virus, abdomen xray and baryum test). I tried making an appointment with my doctor, but they won't take any until further notice and I can't see any other doctor (common in my province) unless i'm in great pain (then they send you to emergency). It's manageable to a point right now, i've cut lactose out of my diet as much as I could but still have some of the symptoms here and there because I don't know my exact "ennemy". They told me to call back in two weeks and I don't know when I would have my appointment (maybe January).

So, I was thinking about starting early until I can see a doctor and do an elimination diet just to have a better ideas of the triggers. If you did that before, how did you proceed? was it worth it?

Replies

• Erin7Baker
    Options
    Try eating a lot of greek yogurt, take probiotice and cranberry vtamins. Sounds like IBS to me.
  • vtpics
    vtpics Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    before I found out what my problem was I ate more and more dairy thinking it's the easiest on my stomach, I was throwing up and nauseous so my advice is to not eat greek yogurt, Go and see a Naturopath who will test you for food intolerances, I suspect you are Caisen intolerant which is a real allergy your body is treating it as a toxin, it can't break it down. So NO Dairy of any kind, no caisen SP? no whey, or whatever other names they call it. If that helps that is it, if it doesn't then something esle you are eating may also be a problem. I had blood tests to determine what I could and could not eat, made my life so much better almost immediately. I miss cheese but it's not worth being sick over
  • alexandradeyl
    alexandradeyl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    gluten allergy?
  • Temporalia
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have found lactose free cheese, should look at ingredients to see...I do feel better having cut down my dairy products with lactose and switching them up with the lactose free version...but there's still something there...
  • Temporalia
    Options
    gluten allergy?

i'm wondering about that too
  • PompousClock
    Options
    Another vote to check out whether you have a gluten allergy. Your symptoms sound very similar to what my friend experienced. She was finally diagnosed with Celiac's Disease - after two years of various tests - and she eliminated every source of gluten from her diet overnight. In a week, the bloating stopped and she was sleeping better at night. After two weeks, she'd dropped a full size (mostly due to the lack of bloating).

The hard part - you can't be diagnosed as having a gluten allergy if you eliminate all gluten from your diet before you see a doctor. But given how difficult it is for you to get into your doctor, perhaps do a two-week test on your own, then add the gluten products back into your diet before your next appointment? After all, there is no harm in not eating gluten for people who do not have the allergy.
  • vtpics
    vtpics Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have a full blown gluten allergy but I have noticed that if I eat wheat, I get a bad headache, so you can still be sensitive to food items even though you don't necessarily react in testing, doing an illimination diet is what some Dr.s will have you do to determine or confirm anyway.

I still recommend the blood tests they determined that I have an intolerance for Caisen or Dairy which includes whey. Also Brewers Yeast, Mangos, Red Kidney Beans, Mushrooms, I further determined I am intolerant to Soy, which didn't show on the tests, but on further research found there is an element in Soy that affects some people adversely that may fall under the radar of blood testing, but I got a horrible pain in my lower intestine that lasted a few days after eating soy meal replacement bars my Dr. had given me.

When you become intolerant to foods, the mucosa of your intestines becomes thin and begins having holes sometimes where the foods undigested can leak into your bloodstream, your body recognizes them as toxins and you have bloating pain and many other discomforts.

It woudl have taken a long time to figure out all the things my body was not tolerating. Possible heavy metals toxicity can be one of the causes of the problem.

My Dr. gave me a gut and allergy powder to take and after you take medicines and heal your gut you can begin to eat the things you love again but just not every day, they will have you do a rotation diet to keep your tummy healthy. So you don't have to go without cheese forever.

I really feel for you, I know the pain you are in and discomfort, I used to feel like I was pregnant at the end of every day :)
  • Temporalia
    Options
    thanks for the tips...I will start writing all I eat and how I feel now and after Halloween start the elimination diet. At least, i'll be able to figure out a part of it and if Dr. suggests it, I won't lose too much time (since I don,t know when he'll be back and the walk in clinic dr might just tell me to do that anyway), i'm not waiting 4-5 hours to be told to do the elimination diet.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I have a question about this...I'm not certain that I have a gluten intolerance. My GI/gut doesn't bother me much. I have sinus/allergy/ear issues and am wondering if that might be diet related. I have been looking into trying this to see if something I'm eating is aggravating my head.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience in this area?
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a question about this...I'm not certain that I have a gluten intolerance. My GI/gut doesn't bother me much. I have sinus/allergy/ear issues and am wondering if that might be diet related. I have been looking into trying this to see if something I'm eating is aggravating my head.

Try no dairy
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options

I didn't have any GI symptoms either. My only symptom was severe anemia that would not respond to any treatment including several rounds of iron by IV. I had an endoscopy with a biopsy and was diagnosed with Celiac disease. Not all celiacs have Gi issues.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Thanks! From reading on the gluten thing it seemed like an intolerance could present elsewhere in the body.

I feel like I've got constant inflamation in my head, which probably makes the congestion worse. I'm not sure about my ears but I've always had ear problems.

I'm not certain I can eliminate everything at once, but I think I can do certain foods at a time. However, if its more than one thing it might pose a problem. I'll either try cutting some things out now or wait til after the new year and go for it all.
  • nehtaeh
    Options

I didn't have any GI symptoms either. My only symptom was severe anemia that would not respond to any treatment including several rounds of iron by IV. I had an endoscopy with a biopsy and was diagnosed with Celiac disease. Not all celiacs have Gi issues.

I have slight anemia. It seems to be fine with supplements.

I am tired pretty much all the time as well.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    My GI/gut doesn't bother me much. I have sinus/allergy/ear issues and am wondering if that might be diet related. I have been looking into trying this to see if something I'm eating is aggravating my head.

Sounds like a normal allergy to me. Can be related to some foods, if it bothers you you can try to identify them or go see ur doc and get a couple tests done xD
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    My GI/gut doesn't bother me much. I have sinus/allergy/ear issues and am wondering if that might be diet related. I have been looking into trying this to see if something I'm eating is aggravating my head.

Sounds like a normal allergy to me. Can be related to some foods, if it bothers you you can try to identify them or go see ur doc and get a couple tests done xD

Very possible. It's been a couple months going so I'm not sure what environmental allergies stick around from August - November. It could be inside, dust, cat, etc. I just went to the doc but had a sinus infection. If I still feel bad I will go back - likely.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Very possible. It's been a couple months going so I'm not sure what environmental allergies stick around from August - November. It could be inside, dust, cat, etc. I just went to the doc but had a sinus infection. If I still feel bad I will go back - likely.

You can get a blood test, or a Skin allergy test... might help clarify everything! good luck! :flowerforyou: (i hope you are not allergic to that flower)
  • nehtaeh
    Options

You can get a blood test, or a Skin allergy test... might help clarify everything! good luck! :flowerforyou: (i hope you are not allergic to that flower)

I've not had allergy testing done ever but I've not been this bad in the past. Thanks! *This* flower should be a-ok. :smile: