RUNNING IN THE COLD

Options
2»

Replies

• EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Wool underwear?! No thanks.

Good information in this thread. I figure I've only got a few weeks left to run outside here in Chicago. I'm too much of a wimp to run in the cold. I'll be hitting the gym soon. I want to be one of those people who runs outside all year round, but I just can't stand being cold. Anyone have a magic pill for getting over that?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Have you ever worn a good, athletic wool piece of clothing? Ibex makes some great stuff that you'd never know was wool.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I did struggle with my breathing though as my nose kept running (sorry TMI) but im not sure what I can do for that?

Wipe it on your sleeve, or learn how to do a snot rocket :tongue:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options

Have you ever worn a good, athletic wool piece of clothing? Ibex makes some great stuff that you'd never know was wool.
    I have not. I wish one day a package would show up at my door with all the running gear I need.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Great Thread all. Thanks for sharing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Once I get going, I'm comfortable in shorts or capris and a t-shirt as long as it's above 40. During my last race, it was 45 degrees and raining, and it felt way better than running in 80 degrees and sunshine!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Any wool underwear has to be thin. Marks and Spencer (a British company) have great thin underwear under the St Michael`s brand. I bought them when they opened in Canada, but they didn`t find it profitable and closed. But if you are lucky enough to have one near you, or if you are on a trip to the UK, snap them up!

Costco also periodically sells very thin merino wool sweaters that are just perfect against the skin. No itch.

Wool keeps 50% of its heat capacity when wet, and is a wonderful replacement for cotton in practically all outdoor activity.