Do small goals work better than large goals?

Okay,

Just as I have been wondering around on this thing I am seeing that everyone has little goals like 10lbs here and there.. Does that work better for encouragement?

How do you set that up btw?

Replies

• i think small goals work well
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    It depends on the person. When I started here I set a goal weight and when I reached that, I would lower it another 10lbs, then another.... etc. It worked better for me because I was discouraged by such a large number.
  • I think that they both work together to get where you want to be... Small goals are easier to reach sooner, so it's harder to get discouraged... and they are all working towards the big goal(s). :)
  • Personally I set up my large goal and set a date then I divided it up. My ultimate goal weight is 130 by 5/16/2012 ( MY Birthday)
    But ihave a goal to loase 20lbs by 10/31, another 10lbs by 12/31/2011, and so on.

I think is works better because If I tell myself ok I have 70 lbs to lose by 5/16 then I will put it off thinking, oh I can make up for it later, when in fact later never comes. So the little goals help me to stay on track.

Hope this helps!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    You reach smaller goals quicker so it helps you staying motivated! A bit like those reward stickers we used to get at school... :)
  • gottagethealthy
    gottagethealthy Posts: 43 Member
    Small goals work best for me. Go to the top of the page where it says Signature and you can put what you want and it will show up whenever you comment.
  • For me, small goals work better. I tend to get overwhelmed and anxious a lot, and the big picture will intimidate me. For weight loss, I focus on 5 lbs at a time.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    I personally use the approach of multiple small goals to get to a bigger target, so my target for weight loss at the moment is to get to 100kg, my target to do that for this month is to walk 170km.

I also find that using smaller and achievable goals at the start are good for motivation in the long term.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Small goals on the way to big ones work best for me.
  • evelynr14
    evelynr14 Posts: 172 Member
    Well, you should see what is your overall weight that you need to lose, for example if it's 30lbs

You would break that down by 10lbs or by 5lbs...whatever you need to help you keep going...
    If you do it by 10lbs and your MFP is set for 2lbs a week then you would start today and 5weeks from today (this would be your 1st mini goal; in total you'd have 3 mini goals) and you reward yourself someway that does not have to do with food. A pair of jeans..a manicure.. pedicure.. anything that you usually don't do for yourself that you would enjoy and that would encourage you to keep going.

Hope this helps!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    How about both! Set long term goals and also set mini short term goals. You tend to stay more motivated and more engaged when you see results, and shorter goals let you see resutls sooner!
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Small goals work best for me. Go to the top of the page where it says Signature and you can put what you want and it will show up whenever you comment.

how did you get the signature at the bottom of your post with your SW, CW etc?? <this is also for ANYBODY else who has it> lol. i'm lost.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I do both. I have one big goal and small mini goals that I set to get me to that big goal.

For example my big goal this year is I want to lose 50lb by Dec 31st. I started Jan 1st.

My little goals are;

I did the c25k program.

I now want to work on the bridge to 10k.

I wanted to work out every day for 45 days so I could force the habit of exercise. (i did this because I wanted to have a habit instilled. They say it takes 30 days to make or break a habit. I am stubborn so I went for 45 days. Plus I had a sendentary desk job.)

Hope it helps.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I do both. I have one big goal and small mini goals that I set to get me to that big goal.

For example my big goal this year is I want to lose 50lb by Dec 31st. I started Jan 1st.

My little goals are;

I did the c25k program.

I now want to work on the bridge to 10k.

I wanted to work out every day for 45 days so I could force the habit of exercise. (i did this because I wanted to have a habit instilled. They say it takes 30 days to make or break a habit. I am stubborn so I went for 45 days. Plus I had a sendentary desk job.)

Hope it helps.

I guess I shouldn't say little goals, I should say short term. I was jumping out of my skin when I was able to run my 5k.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    I roughly want to lose somewhere between 50-60lbs. I am currently in the 190's and being in the 140's-30's would be ideal for my height/body frame. I don't want to be skinny Minnie, but I do want to be in a healthy overall weight group.

I believe that I will set 10lb small goals. I am giving myself a year to do this in. I know that weight loss does not just happen over night. I have the 2lb per week weight loss goal for the week, but I haven't been losing much lately so I believe 10lbs every 6 weeks would be appropriate?

Does that sound about right?
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Thats what I did and I've lost 58 pounds since April. I don't think that is an unreasonable goal. Good luck!!!
  • sallywilson06
    Thats what I did and I've lost 58 pounds since April. I don't think that is an unreasonable goal. Good luck!!!

Thank you!!!
  • I feel like they do! To me its less stressful. i tell myself my goal is to lose 3 lbs this week and when i lose it i feel good..especially if i lose alittle more. Think they have done a few studies saying that those who focused too much about their long term are more likely to give up. I love my weekly goals i just take it day by day :)
  • I just keep telling myself
    "I only need to lose one pound, eighty five more times."
    Works for me!
  • sallywilson06
    I just keep telling myself
    "I only need to lose one pound, eighty five more times."
    Works for me!

Love this one!!!