Need the Green to be Slim? Support Group Needed

Options
I have found latley that it is so much easier to lose weight when you have the green stuff to support it and no....I don't mean your vegetables.

Gyms, work out videos, healthy foods....seems to add up.

Any inexpensive ways to lose weight and eat right would be helpful and appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Walk , run, swim , dance !
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I agree with morganadk2. I would also like to add in hiking on some trails with hills and fallen trees that you have to climb over!
  • jessfresh
    Options
    took me a while to get this post,i thought you were talking about weed haha.

but healthy food does not have to be expensive you just have to teach yourself to cook things from scratch. and yeah, walking running swimming jogging anything like that - all free!
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My floor doesn't charge me for the situps, planks,and pushups I do on it....just sayin'.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about marijuana.

There are fitness videos on youtube and your local library probably has them as well. You can get cheap fitness equipment on craigslist, kajiji or via freecycle.

As morganadk2 said, you can run, walk, dance and just keep your body moving.

Vegetables are cheap.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    The Giant or The Hulk? Please clarify.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of thoughts to share. One easy way to start is to just put half of what you would normally serve yourself on your plate (whatever you normally make) and replace the other half with an equal volume of steamed frozen veggies! Easy enough, and you will cut your calories WAAAYYY back. No special foods required, and now you've stretched your food dollars by making two meals out of one. NEVER buy fast food... its a lose/ lose situation... no nutrition, and costly. If you don't have time to cook, buy a rotisserie chicken instead of pizza or take out. Healthy, and doesn't cost much more than if you cooked it yourself.

While watching tv you can work out easily enough. I use a step, just like in aerobics class, but if you don't have one you can just walk/jog in place, sit ups, kickboxing (punching/kicking) ...even dance ...anything to keep yourself moving. Make it a movie or tv show you really like and you'll be able to keep going!

Buy lots of beans, veggies, and fruit. Yes, some fresh produce is expensive, so just buy what isn't! This changes with whats in season, and will be a good way to vary what you buy. Also, plan your meals and buy only what you need... cuts down on buying a bunch of stuff you won't use.

Like you, I'm losing weight on a budget with no gym membership... but you can do this! Have fun!

Beth

Walk or run with a friend... its absolutely free, and very motivating.
  • elizahbeth
    Options
    Fruit and veggies seem to cost less than other food, especially if you prepare them from fresh yourself.
    That is true for most foods that are wholesome and nutritient dense with low calories.

I get my excersize by walking my dog twice a day, housework burns an incredible amount of cals, especially sweeping and vacuming. I walk to do all shopping and errands, carrying all those fruit and veggies home really helps.

I also do Yoga which I learned off of utube free videos (Baba Ramdev) which helped to heal my spine problems.

I weigh 118 to 120 pounds and I'm 5 feet 6 and ahalf inches tall. I have maintained my weight below 120 or been slimmer for several years now after coming down from 175 pounds that I had put on during menopause in the 90's.

All the best on your weight release, you can do it and spend $00.00!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Buy brown rice in bags, cook up a big batch (it takes about 45 minutes) make a little 1/2 cup size by molding it into a measure and pop it out onto a tray and freeze them. Bag up and you are set for weeks.
    Buy dried beans, not canned... soak the beans, drain then cook up the beans in a big pot and then drain them and freeze them in little serving size portions. Again, you are set for weeks.
    Buy oatmeal in the big round can - old fashioned style.
    Buy a whole turkey while they are on sale for the holidays, cook it, and pull all the meat off it and use it in your daily salad, mix with rice and beans, etc.
    Make your own salad dressing with oil and vinegar.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    For a great free work out, you could always knock off a liquor store. Running from the fuzz is great cardio.

And, you get free green! How cool is that!
  • acorbett07
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the serious suggestions!

I am not much of a cook so those kinds of tips really help!

Walking is on my list of major things to do since my neighborhood is huge!

I know the hard part is not eating every junk food/fast food item I see....I am so a cheesburger kind of girl!