Confused....!!!

Options
Shajsum
Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
Here's my story, I started this whole thing doing the Dukan diet, Im not sure if you know about this diet but it's similar to atkins, but with this diet, you are allowed almost NO carbs until you reach our goal weight,and NO fruit, which can take a year or so for some. During the first couple of weeks, I managed to stick to the plan and lost about 8lbs. But now I have been having trouble sticking to this very strict plan. For one I dont think that I will last a whole year or so without any carbs or fruit....soooo, with that being said, I've been trying to transition to just eating a healthy balanced diet but still putting a limit on my carb intake and choosing healthy whole grains and fruits to eat. I have gained about 2lbs back over the last couple weeks but I also have been slacking on my exercise. I would love to have your opinion on this. Do you think that I made the right choice to change to a healthy balanced diet or should I have stayed on Dukan?..I guess this concern arose because every time I am about to eat bread I feel horrible even though I am choosing healthy whole grains......HELP ME PLEASE!! :-)

Replies

• MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just say no to cutting out carbs. Your body is probably still making the adjustment to the change in diet plan - give yourself a little more time. If you don't eat carbs you cannot get a lot of the nutrients that your body needs in their natural form - this is why that kind of diet is not sustainable - and any diet that is not sustainable is not worth wasting your time on. Try upping your exercise and playing with the types of carbs that you are eating before you opt to cut them out again.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did the South Beach diet once. During the no carbs part I almost passed out at work. I ate a pretzel and was fine. I think our bodies need some carbs to feel good and have energy. I would just limit them and make sure they're good ones, like whole grains and fruit. Watch the refined sugars. Good luck!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip: don't do that diet
  • MissLedford87
    Options
    No. As long as your working on at eating healthy it will come off.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with the Dukan diet, but IMO you will be far more successful in the long run sticking to something that you can sustain long-term, i.e. keeping track of your calories, not needing to restrict yourself from any particular food, plenty of water, and exercise.

A bazillion successful MFP'ers can' t be wrong!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cheri868
    Options
    I think you made the right decision, as there is NO WAY you would be able to stick to that strict of a diet for a year, not to mention the vitamins and minerals you may be depriving yourself of by completely excluding fruits. I say stick to what you know you will be able to maintain for the rest of your life, which is exactly what you are choosing to do by just eating healthier. I think we all complicate this weight loss process by choosing diets that completely omit certain foods. I say eat everything in moderation and everything will be fine. The weight loss may take a litle longer, but you will be able to maintain it forever. Those diets will enable you to lose weight, but you will gain it all back as soon as you resume eating in a normal manner. Good luck!!!
  • MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Well first thing you need to do is get that DIET word out of your vocab!!! Honey this is a life change!!! You don't want to reach goal and then just stop and go back to what you used to do, do you? If no, then its a LIFE CHANGE NOT DIET!!! I personally try to stay under 100g of Carbs, but if I have a crucial calorie burn for the day I have more carbs!!! But I have learned that watching my carbs and making sure I dont go too high on them helps me with losing the weight!!! I eat lots of fruit, but I dont worry about the carbs in it, because fruit is a good carb I believe.. I eat bread, but I try not to eat too much in a month time frame.. I used to eat alot of bread, pasta, fast food, junk food, but I have learned that that isn't the way to go if Im trying to lose this weight. I hope this helps?
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Of course I'm no doctor, but yes, I think you made the right decision. Are you tracking everything you eat in your diary? Are you getting enough vegetables and fresh foods? Are you checking the ingredients list on your bread? I went to pick up "Natural Fresh-Baked 9 Grain Whole Wheat" rolls from the grocery store bakery the other day and realized that it was made with enriched flour (wtf?) and loaded with sugar. Pretty deceiving, so much so that it actually made me pretty pissed and I switched to an all natural bakery across the street that uses just 4 ingredients in their bread.

I think as long as you are tracking things and eating good carbs with mostly fresh real foods and continue to focus on exercise, you'll be okay. But don't lose that exercise. ;)

Good luck.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think you should try slowly re-introducing yourself to carbs. Maybe just have one piece of bread a day and slowly add a little more (whole wheat pastas, brown rices, etc) depending on how your body is responding. That is similar to the South Beach diet, which I have done in the past. The first 2 weeks sound like your Dukan diet, but after the first two weeks you can bring fruits and carbs (good carbs such as whole wheats and grains) back in, in moderation until you reach your goal. Increase your exercise a little as well and I think you will be very happy with the results - and won't feel like you are depriving yourself!!! Good luck!! :-)
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goals are with the diet. My experience with no carbs diets has shown me that I lose weight as long as I'm worried about carbs. When I switch to healthy eating (watching calories), I gain back a portion of the weight I lost with the no carb diet. In my opinion, it is way too hard to stick with no carbs long term. I love my grains and when doing intensive cardio you need some carbs. I definitely incorporate some of the low carb stuff into my current healthy diet. For example, I will keep my carbs down on days where I'm lifting weights (protein helps build muscle). On days when I run many miles, I increase my carbs.

Good luck
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip; don't diet. Change your lifestyle
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Dukan/Atkins/etc. diets only work for as long as you follow their restrictive guidelines. Once you begin one of those diets, your body starts to adjust to what you are feeding it. When you exit the diet, it will take some time for your body to adjust and your weight will fluctuate for a while.

This is why they say Atkins (and other diets) is a lifestyle....because once you stop that lifestyle, your body goes out of whack again (at least that's what happened to me in 2005, albeit I didn't have a good exit plan at all).

Anyway, to answer your question, if the restrictions are already difficult for you in week 3, then you made the right decision transitioning into a more complete, healthy eating plan. Although your body needs some adjustment time, in the long run, you will be better for the decision you made. You should only stick with a restrictive meal plan if its something you think you can stick with long term.
  • PompousClock
    Options
    I guess this concern arose because every time I am about to eat bread I feel horrible even though I am choosing healthy whole grains
    Are you feeling physically horrible after eating whole grains, or at the thought of eating whole grains? What whole grains are you eating?
  • cassyparker
    Options
    Have you tried the scarsdale medical diet? It worked well for me. Its two weeks on and two weeks off until you reach your goal. It has next to no added fat and alot of protein, with some carbs. Its very easy to follow as well. For example Wednesdays meals would be
    Breakfast: protein bread with 1/2 grapefruit coffee or tea
    Lunch: tuna or salmon salad made with lemon juice and vinegar (drain any oil from tin)
    1/2 grapefruit
    one slice of protein bread
    tea/coffee/diet soda/water
    Dinner: Sliced roast lamb all visible fat removed
    salad of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, celery
    coffee or tea

You can have carrots or celery in between meals if your hungry. You can buy the book "the complete scarsdale medical diet" at most book stores for about $12.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet, as in under 20 carbs a day- in which I ate occassional strawberries and cantaloupe and lots of leafy greens will bring off pounds. I lost close to a hundred pounds, but I believe it's primarily because I was so very heavy- well over 300 lbs. Cutting out junk food and eating almost all protien was still a high calorie diet but low compared to what I had been eating. Eventually I stopped losing on a low carb diet.
    The best bet is a balanced diet in which you have a good calorie deficit. It will come off. Exercise can only help it come off. Feel free to friend me as we have about an equal amount to lose :)
    Keep it up and I think you made the right choice going healthier :)
    Kimmy
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    how many weeks did it take you to lose 8lbs? I lost 8lbs in 3 weeks just lowering my calories and making healthy choices plus exercising 5 times a week. The first week of a diet usually gives you a boost of 2lb to what 25lbs (biggest loser) after that it levels off to 1 or 2lbs a week more if you are over weight.
  • Shajsum
    Options
    I guess this concern arose because every time I am about to eat bread I feel horrible even though I am choosing healthy whole grains
    Are you feeling physically horrible after eating whole grains, or at the thought of eating whole grains? What whole grains are you eating?

No I feel guilty because I still an in the Dukab mindset of NO carbs, and Im afraind of gaining all of the weight back.
  • nomorearmflab
    Options
    You made the right choice on switching. Eat your carbs!

You need carbs in your diet to provide energy for your body, both quick release carbs like fruit, and the slow release like whole grain breads, pastas, and broccoli.
    When you deprive your body of carbs it is forced to breakdown protien for energy. The process in which it breaks down protien create a chemical which is harmful to your body. It makes you weak, sluggish and craving for carbohydrates. You will also start to lose muscle mass.

You will gain back some of your weight. The good news is when you start eating carbs again you will get more out of your exercise, you will get some of you muscles back and you will feel more energy throughout the day.

cutting extra sugar products and some dairy out of your diet will do you good, as well as all refined breads. So no white pasta or bread! go for whole wheat, whole grain!
  • virruth
    virruth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of research on dieting....one thing I firmly believe: Do not restrict any one macronutrient. Cut refined carbs...packaged cookies, cakes, crackers, etc. if you want to. Eat more fruits, veggies, and whole grains....like 100 percent whole wheat breads, etc. Be patient, count calories, and log your excercise. The weight willl not only come off, it will STAY off! Allow one treat for yourself. Just make sure you log it. Oh, one more thing: don't call it a diet. They fail. Call it a lifestyle change. That will see you thru always. Good Luck. This wonderful website will be valuable to you....logging exercise, food journal, and support forums.
  • Shajsum
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! You have helped me a lot!!! I will continue to wat a balanced diet and just be sure to exercise more regularly. Thank you!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: :heart: :love: