Need Advice for HRM or something can help counting calorie b

Options
I am looking for any advice about good Heart Rate Monitor or something can do calorie burned during exercise or daily activities. MFP - Do you use one and could you share your experience? Thanks

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is probably the most popular one people use here when they are exercising. I myself use it, and it's perfect.

If you wanted something to track your calories burned all day, you'll need something like a BodyBugg.
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use a polar ft7 and I absolutely love it. The chest strap is sooooo comfortable!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'll throw my 2cents in for the Polar FT7. Works great, provides me with a decent amount of info, and its pretty easy to use.
  • sparkylady1
    sparkylady1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I personally use a New Balance monitor to track my HR and calories burned...I started using one about a month ago and it's great! Easy to use, no chest strap and stylish:)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4. I love it, don't really know a lot about it but now I can log the calories that I burn during strength training. I love to eat, eat all my exercise calories so its really been good for me. I even wore it to the grocery store the other day and burned 200 calories. It beeps when your under your target heart rate but your still burning calories if you are below or above just at a different rate. Its an excellent tool!!!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Another Polar FT4 user and lover here... great choice!
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I use mine every time I work out and sometimes even when I do "rigourous" housework, I love it. Careful though, it's addicting ... I want to wear mine "to bed" (if ya know what I mean? wink, wink).

I don't know if they're all the same but, mine has a set up to input all of my personal info (DOB, age, activity level, etc) and does an "own zone" at the beginning of every work out which tells me my goal heart rate range. It also keeps a record of my work outs and flags me weekly with the previous weeks totals (time, calories and avg/high heart rate). There's also a website that you can sync your monitor up to ... honestly, I haven't used this feature so I can't say exactly what that does for you (other than possibly backing up your info to a database, perhaps?). I keep saying that I'm going to check it out and I never find the time between work, working out, meal planning/preparation, relationship, MFP and Facebook. lol!

MIne is a Polar and I've had it so long, I think that I paid like $70 (definitely no more than $100) for it. It has a chest strap. I looked into the models that did require a chest strap and the general consensus is that they are not as accurate and I found don't have as many options ... though, they are less expensive (or were).

Good luck, I hope I didn't give TMI. It's early, I tend to ramble when it's early. If you'd like a new friend, you can most definitely request me :)
  • lindathome
    lindathome Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use the BodyMedia FIT device - which isn't specifically a heart rate monitor, but when comparing the calorie burn data from BMF and my Garmin with HR Monitor, they are VERY close. BMFit device will provide you with more data than a HR Monitor could, and is intended to be worn 24 hours a day (except while showering/bathing/swimming).

You may know it better as a BodyBugg - but BodyMedia FIT (Go Wear FIT) is actually the manufacturer, and re-brands them as BodyBugg's for 24 hour fitness.
  • MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is probably the most popular one people use here when they are exercising. I myself use it, and it's perfect.

If you wanted something to track your calories burned all day, you'll need something like a BodyBugg.

^^^agreed
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have used various Polar HRMS: FT4 and FT7 and they are great for logging calories burned during cardio but not for any other time. Now I am using a BodyMedia Fit and it logs calories burned throughout the day, during workouts, amount of steps taken throughout the day and my sleep patterns. As far as accuracy is concerned, I'd say the BodyMedia Fit or BodyBugg are the most accurate.
  • BHealthyBeHappy
    BHealthyBeHappy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great detail of advice, thanks. I think that what I want. Which one are you using ft4 or ft7?? It seems they have different style, are they all the same??