EXERCISING WHEN ILL

Options
hello all i feel like im coming down with a cold but i have three more sessions on workouts can i do them if i do come down with the dreaded leargy

Replies

• starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I researched this a little when i got a cold a couple weeks back. My personal rule of thumb is if its just a sniffly / runny nose then I go for it, but if its anything in my chest, or if I'm running a fever or achey it just makes things worse. (I came to this after running 3 miles with a cough / cold and waking up 5x worse the next morning...)
  • Splinkysgirl2
    Options
    My opinion is to get the rest your body needs. It may already be overtaxed which is why you may be becoming ill. There's no shame in having to take a break. The experts recommend it. Also, what good will it do you to stress your body even more while you are sick -- none. Instead, it will take longer to return to normal. Rest -- respect your body's wishes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Cold fine. If you're running a fever, or beat totally down don't. Exercise compromises your immune system and if you compromise it enough, you'll be bedridden for a couple of days.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I researched this a little when i got a cold a couple weeks back. My personal rule of thumb is if its just a sniffly / runny nose then I go for it, but if its anything in my chest, or if I'm running a fever or achey it just makes things worse. (I came to this after running 3 miles with a cough / cold and waking up 5x worse the next morning...)

Agreed! If you do end up sick and want to do something active, maybe just stick to a leisurely walk outside.
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My dad always used to say, if it's from the neck up, yes. For instance, the sniffles, a headache, etc. Obviously if its from the neck down, such as a stomach ache or a twisted ankle or whatever, then no. That's my general rule of thumb.
  • ashleatwins
    Options
    im sick with sinuses and allergies. i googled the same thing and it says if your sickness is from the neck up your ok to exercise but if you start getting tired and feeling worse to rest. It says if you have anything from the neck as in fatigue, chills, fever, upset stomach, bad cough, congestion then to wait for a few days. If you have a fever and you get your body temperature up by exercising then you will get worse. I took a day off for the first time yesterday in over a week because I felt like poop and today I felt alot better when I woke up. While exercising I couldnt do as much and breathe as good because I cant breathe out my nose but I still do good and feel great. You know what your body can handle and I would keep going unless you get a fever or just cant get off the couch. But don't ignore the signs your body is telling you.