Is tea counted as water?

Options
Since the cold wet weather is here I have been drinking alot more tea. I dont add milk or sugar to it so can it possible be counted as a water?

Replies

• PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Yes.

(IN B4 imaginary doctors)
  • MrsWagz
    MrsWagz Posts: 41
    Options
    I don't know what kind you are drinking but I know decaf herbal tea is counted as water :happy:
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i count it when its decaf.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I agree it should count as water too.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    i count it when its decaf.

Yes, I count tea as my daily intaje of water but not my black coffee which dehydrates.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else said, as long is it's caffeine free you can count it.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some people will try to tell you that it is a diuretic so you shouldn't count it - but the diuretic properties of caffeine are greatly outweighed by the water content of any caffeinated drink. Any liquid you drink counts towards your daily water drink.
  • JudeRussell
    JudeRussell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is steeped tea. I put water through the loose leaves, dump it then make another. I am told that is how you remove most of the caffeine and since I react to caffeine normally and this is not bothering me I assume it works :)
  • discomac
    discomac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Instant coffee has around 4 calories per cup when no milk or sugar is added. Although primarily made of water there will still be 1 gram of carbohydrates as well as other good nutrients such as Magnesium, Maganese, and Niacin. For those who struggle with low potassium intake when using the MyFitness Pal website/app, you should add yours cup of coffee as a separate entry as this all counts to your DRA.

Tea, no milk & sugar, also is a good source of Maganese, with 1 gram of Iron as a kicker.

I guess what i am trying to say is that, if you are particularly specific when using MyFitness Pal then add your cups of tea and coffee into your diary.

Besides, it is better to look back and say you had 10 cups of water that day, knowing that it was all pure water :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else said, as long is it's caffeine free you can count it.

You can count it caffeinated or otherwise. Especially if you are a regular caffeine drinker. That way the diuretic effect is negligible.

I wish people would get off this "caffeine makes you dehydrated" kick..
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview

And an extract from that article:
    Do you have to drink only water to stay hydrated?
    All liquids help you stay hydrated. Water is usually the best choice, because it’s free (if you’re drinking tap water) and has no sugar or calories. But most healthy people can get enough fluid through the beverages they consume every day. These can include water, fruit juices, coffee, sodas, iced tea, and other drinks.

Experts say that it's not true that beverages that have caffeine-such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks-always dehydrate you. Healthy people who consume moderate amounts of caffeine don't lose more fluid than people who don't have any caffeine.1 A moderate amount of caffeine is about 200 to 300 milligrams a day. That's about two to four 8-ounce cups of coffee.
    [/quote]

So basically, I would put tea and coffee in my diary as a food to record the few calories that's in them. But tea and coffee do count towards your daily intake of water.
  • PurrMachine
    Options
    I put milk and sugar in my tea. Could that be counted towards my water intake as well? (Sorry, I feel this is a stupid question).

I do record the calories and what not with every tea I drink. I just wanted to know if I can count it as water too.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I put milk and sugar in my tea. Could that be counted towards my water intake as well? (Sorry, I feel this is a stupid question).

I do record the calories and what not with every tea I drink. I just wanted to know if I can count it as water too.

Milk is 85%-90% water.