Getting fat on purpose?

Options
Has this been discussed?

Why a personal trainer is making himself obese… on purpose

by FatFighterTV, on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:19pm PDT
3086 CommentsPost a CommentRead More from This Author »Report Abuse

Email
Print

Normally, I share weight loss success stories - WooHoos!, as they’re known at FatFighterTV. But today, I want to tell you about the opposite – a fit guy who is deliberately making himself fat.

Since May, Drew Manning has gained about 70 pounds on purpose. And he’s not done yet.
Drew is a personal trainer and has always been the “fit guy.” He’s now on a journey he calls Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit where he spends six months (he has about 4 weeks left) eating unhealthy food and not exercising, then he will take six more months to get fit again. Why? To experience for himself what it’s like to be overweight, how tough it is to lose weight, and ultimately show others how to get fit. But this is sooo extreme! And I hate that Drew is deliberately making himself unhealthy. I asked him all about it…

FatFighterTV: As someone who has always been fit, how can you stand doing this to yourself?

Drew Manning: It’s been very tough physically, mentally and emotionally to let myself go like this. The first couple of months were the hardest. I felt like I was going through withdrawals, just like any other addiction. I was jealous seeing people running, going to the gym, and being in shape.

Also see: How Cammy lost 100 pounds

FFTV: Are you concerned about your health?

DM: Yes, definitely. With a BP reading of 161/113 you can’t NOT be concerned. I haven’t felt in danger yet, but I still have 4 weeks left to go. People tell me all the time to stop now, but I look at it like this…..if others can live years with these unhealthy risk factors, like high BP, glucose levels, cholesterol levels, triglycerides, etc. then I can last another 4 weeks. Plus I want to show people how living a healthy lifestyle can change all of those risk factors.

FFTV: Are you enjoying eating all those unhealthy foods?

DM: Yes and no. To some extent, all of these foods that I’m eating (sugary cereals, granola bars, juices, white breads, white pastas, sodas, crackers, chips, frozen dinners, mac n cheese, etc.) taste delicious. But then I feel like crap later on and I get hungry again and crave those same foods.

See also: Healthified Chicken Salad Sandwiches

FFTV: You’ve gained about 70 pounds now since May – how do you feel?

DM: I’m to the point where I feel lethargic and uncomfortable. I definitely feel “addicted” to these foods. In the beginning, I did not like soda, but now I can’t go a day without, otherwise I’ll get the headaches, bad mood, etc. Emotionally, it’s taken a toll on my confidence level, even in my marriage. I don’t like the way I look in public; nothing fits right; bending over to tie my shoes or clip my toe nails has become so difficult. I’ve definitely taken those things for granted.

FFTV: You mentioned that you want to gain an understanding of how hard it is to be overweight – what have you learned so far?

DM: I think the biggest thing I’ve learned is how intense and how real these food cravings are. I think a lot of people associate the word “addiction” with drugs and alcohol, but I do believe this addiction (to America’s processed foods) is real and very similar. I know I’ll never know exactly what it’s like for every person that’s overweight and I don’t claim to, but at least I understand better than I did before when I never had to struggle with this. I hope to learn a lot more in the second half of my journey, from fat 2 fit.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/why-a-personal-trainer-is-making-himself-obese-on-purpose-2583990/

I can't think of anything more ridiculous than to get fat on purpose!

Replies

• FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just read that story on Yahoo and thought it quite interesting. I guess he's trying to sympathize with overweight people and personally understand the challenges of losing weight. Not sure, but that's what I think.
  • himiller3
    Options
    Agreed (that it's ridiculous).
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    thats what I think as well but the damage he is doing to his body seems rather stupid to me.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I read the article on yahoo as well, and I think he is trying to enhance (and I am sure promote) his personal training. By going through the struggles of weight loss, he thinks he will be able to relate to his clients (and show them that it is possible). The real complaint (besides making yourself unhealthy intentionally), is that he is really only going through the physical process. Because of his drive, ambition and goals, I think it will be hard for him to emotionally or psychologically relate to clients. To me that is a huge part of weight loss.

If he is doing it to genuinely understand some aspects of weight gain and loss, then I wish him the best of luck though...
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just read that story on Yahoo and thought it quite interesting. I guess he's trying to sympathize with overweight people and personally understand the challenges of losing weight. Not sure, but that's what I think.

I agree - and although it's silly what he is doing, in a way it's sweet. A lot of times when people are small, they don't realize how hard it is to lose weight. This way he can know the other end of the spectrum.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's pretty extreme, but I have to respect his desire to understand what others experience. People who have always been fit can't understand what it's like for those who aren't and who struggle with it. He's only partway there - the change back will be interesting for him. I wonder if it will be easier for him, since he's formerly fit, than for someone who wasn't.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think it's an amazing experiment.
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There are a million people that do this to themselves without reason. I'm over a hundred pounds overweight and I didnt do it to learn anything. I did it because I like to be lazy and I like fatty fast food and eating at restaurants (seems even more ridiculous in comparison). If it helps him and helps him help others in the long run maybe it's not so stupid. As long as he works to get it back off isnt he kind of in the same boat we are?
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think it is great if he is doing it for a genuine reason. I dont think his experience will be the same as someone who has been over weight/obese for 20 years to him of 6 months. BUT I am sure it will give him more of an understanding of what people go through (I hope)
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't know.. I kinda like the concept. He wanted to walk in a fat man's shoes. He wanted to experience the true drag it is to be fat. I respect him. I think it is unhealthy, but just as unhealthy as anyone who accidently gains the weight. Atleast he knows how to take it off and then will always know atleast somewhat how an obese person feels.
    I give him props.
  • sparkylady1
    sparkylady1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I read that story last night on Yahoo and I was amazed! I admire his desire to see what overweight people go through each day and the struggles to get in shape. I am looking forward to reading his journey back to "fit"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I think it is great if he is doing it for a genuine reason. I dont think his experience will be the same as someone who has been over weight/obese for 20 years to him of 6 months. BUT I am sure it will give him more of an understanding of what people go through (I hope)
    It won't. His discipline and desire was already instituted, so to get BACK into shape isn't as difficult as trying to get into shape in the first place.
    As an experienced trainer, one of the biggest challenges is to get my clients to do HOMEWORK. That would consist of coming to the gym on their own when there is no session. Since I can see through gym logs if they come or not, they can't BS me. More than not, they will come for the sessions, but skip 4 days with no other work.
    I can try to inspire them, but desire and discipline is up to them.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Extreme bulking is how I see it. He obviously knows the dangers involved. It's no different than someone who was curious enough to do drugs "just for the experience." Is it extreme? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Is it sympathetically touching? Arguable. Though, experimentation does intrigue me. Other than that, I'll probably forget I read about this later on today.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't find it to be ridiculous. Is he harming his body? Yes, but he will recover from it. Like he said, there are people who live with 60-80 extra pounds of body weight for years. He is only doing it for 6 months and then is going to start cutting again.

The reason behind him doing this is to truly understand what being overweight is like and how hard it is to transform one's body, to understand that food addiction and cravings are real and to be a better trainer overall. He is a man who has never dealt with weight problems, so while he is a good trainer, this will make him a better trainer.

I commend him for going to such extremes to educate and better himself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I don't find it to be ridiculous. Is he harming his body? Yes, but he will recover from it. Like he said, there are people who live with 60-80 extra pounds of body weight for years. He is only doing it for 6 months and then is going to start cutting again.

The reason behind him doing this is to truly understand what being overweight is like and how hard it is to transform one's body, to understand that food addiction and cravings are real and to be a better trainer overall. He is a man who has never dealt with weight problems, so while he is a good trainer, this will make him a better trainer.

I commend him for going to such extremes to educate and better himself.
    It's not hard to transform once you've been fit, so I don't think it compares to someone who's NEVER been fit and is trying to get there. Muscle has memory and it's much much easier than trying to attain it in the first place.
    Most trainers DON'T eat 100% healthy and they have their cravings that they fulfill on a daily basis. Candy, ice cream, soda, etc. in all small portions are not uncommon in a trainers daily lifestyle.
    IMO, the best way to understand it is to actually LIVE with that person for at least 30 days and not interrupt. That way you could actually see the day to day struggles they may have.
  • laz22girl
    Options
    I think it's pretty cool and cutting edge of him.

Being obese doesn't have to have negative unhealthy effects on the body. However, I bet he gets a lot of business once he has been there, done that.

No different than any other study, imo.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    that is a great marketing ploy. he gets all this free advertising. he will be extremely busy when he's ready to start training people again. heck he may even get a tv show out of it. i think its brilliant. and as a bonus he will understand the psychology of people addicted to these foods even better.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I like the idea. He is only going to make a great example to his clients, obviously if he gets thin again his methods work. It'll be encouraging to have someone helping you that could genuinely relate to you and actually overcame obesity rather than being thin all their life.