"Drink water to help flush out the fat". Before I raise an

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
Tell me if that's valid or not. If it IS valid, can someone detail why?? I'll be a water drinking fool if it's true, trust me.

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If that was true, no one would be fat and all the fake/scams with the fat burner pills etc would be out of business.

Water/fluids are a good thing... but they aren't going to flush out the fat while you sit on your *kitten* :)
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I know it keeps you hydrated and helps your organs flush out toxins, but if it's supposed to flush fat I should be one skinny chick. I drink at least a gallon a day and still have to watch what I eat.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    LOL...I wanna know too....'cause I'll be a water drinking fool right along with you!!!
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Water helps to flush out toxins and what not and I'm sure is good for flushing things out after a good burn but it doesn't just flush out fat.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Research does suggest that drinking plenty of water may help you lose weight. An abstract by Dr. Brenda Davy, associate professor of human nutrition, foods and exercise at Virginia Tech, presented at last year's obesity conference in Phoenix, Arizona, showed that people who drank two glasses of water 20 to 30 minutes before every meal lost weight more quickly initially and lost significantly more weight than those who didn't.

In another study by Davy and her group, published last year in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, she found that people who drank water before meals ate an average of 75 fewer calories at that meal. This may not seem like much, but if you ate 75 fewer calories at lunch and dinner for the next year, you could lose about 14½ pounds! In addition, being even 1 percent dehydrated can cause a significant drop in metabolism, which can also interfere with weight loss.

Finally, it is very difficult for the body to differentiate hunger from thirst. If you don't drink enough water throughout the day, you may mistake thirst for hunger and eat more than you really need, which can also impair weight loss. So staying well hydrated is important, particularly if you are trying to lose weight. And don't forget to eat lots of water-based foods like soups, vegetables and low-fat dairy, which are equally important for weight loss, as they lower the calorie density of meals. That can help you reduce calories without reducing portions.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Water helps to flush toxins, not fat. However if you take in a toxin (like sugar for example) and try to flush it with water you put strain on your system, which is why they always say "IN MODERATION"
  • thumperj2u
    thumperj2u Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Does tea w/equal count the same as water? I have heard so many different opions about this.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert....but IMO, if water REALLY flushed out fat, then why would we need to change our diets and exercise to help lose weight? If we really just needed water to flush us, couldn't we just eat a whole large pizza with a gallon of water and still turn into fitness models with no exercise required??
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Research does suggest that drinking plenty of water may help you lose weight. An abstract by Dr. Brenda Davy, associate professor of human nutrition, foods and exercise at Virginia Tech, presented at last year's obesity conference in Phoenix, Arizona, showed that people who drank two glasses of water 20 to 30 minutes before every meal lost weight more quickly initially and lost significantly more weight than those who didn't.

In another study by Davy and her group, published last year in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, she found that people who drank water before meals ate an average of 75 fewer calories at that meal. This may not seem like much, but if you ate 75 fewer calories at lunch and dinner for the next year, you could lose about 14½ pounds! In addition, being even 1 percent dehydrated can cause a significant drop in metabolism, which can also interfere with weight loss.

Finally, it is very difficult for the body to differentiate hunger from thirst. If you don't drink enough water throughout the day, you may mistake thirst for hunger and eat more than you really need, which can also impair weight loss. So staying well hydrated is important, particularly if you are trying to lose weight. And don't forget to eat lots of water-based foods like soups, vegetables and low-fat dairy, which are equally important for weight loss, as they lower the calorie density of meals. That can help you reduce calories without reducing portions.

I don't buy that water "flushes out fat" literally, but these studies make sense given my experience. I drink a lot of water throughout the day, and it does help with maintaining a full feeling and keeping me from overeating a single meal.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Does tea w/equal count the same as water? I have heard so many different opions about this.

Water in tea is water. Think about it.... if you leave a glass of tea out, the water that evaporates leaves you with only tea particles.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    That only proves water helps with calorie consumption, but that's it. It certainly doesn't "flush out fat", it only helps create a deficit for some people.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Do your research. Yes it does help. But you have to be moving. The more you drink, the more you sweat, the more you burn. I know this is true because it worked for me. Every body is different. You can't just drink and sit. You have to be moving. I wouldn't call it flushing out the fat though. It's called burning lol. Cardio is really the only way to get the fat gone, with the help of staying hydrated though. But "flushing" NO.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

All fluids count as water as far as staying hydrated --- some are just better for you than others.

If your daily fluids were 100% sugary soda that would not be as healthy as lower cal/lower sugar drinks like plain old water, crystal light, tea, coffee, protein drinks, milk, almond milk, powerade zero etc.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think saying that "water flushes fat" obviously isn't what is happening, but people know what the saying means... that drinking more water keeps your system flushed, hydrated, your hunger signals under control and you can lose more weight than if you were not drinking enough water.

It's kind of like how people say "muscle weighs more than fat"... when that isn't true. A pound of muscle weighs just as much as a pound of fat; it is that muscle is more DENSE than fat. But everyone still knows what you mean when you say "muscle weighs more than fat".
  • WaRachel
    Options
    You won't "flush the fat", but staying fully hydrated (and most people are running around somewhat dehydrated) can definitely help with losing the fat the old-fashioned way (exercise and watching what you eat)

Check out http://www.ergo-log.com/euhydration.html which summerized a study showing you burn fat (vs protein) easier when you are hydrated.

Also http://www.livestrong.com/article/124387-body-fat-percentage-hydration/ has some good reasons why being hydrated is so important.

Finally, I know personally that drinking fluids (mostly water for me) helps a lot with hunger.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Water helps to flush toxins, not fat. However if you take in a toxin (like sugar for example) and try to flush it with water you put strain on your system, which is why they always say "IN MODERATION"

Sugar is NOT a toxin.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I think all we need now is some mention of breakfast, eating exercise calories, and aspartame being a killer and the whole gang is here! :D
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Can I sprinkle aspartame over my exercise calories that I eat for breakfast? :drinker:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Can I sprinkle aspartame over my exercise calories that I eat for breakfast? :drinker:

WE HAVE A WINNAH!!