Balance muscle weight and fat weight

Options
I am just starting my journey!!! I want to lose my "fat" weight before i gain "muscle" weight. I am just wondering how to do that exactly?!? I am currently 5'2" and 138 lbs my goal weight is 115 - 120 lbs with muscle.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Eat at a slight caloric deficit, intake adequate protein (100-110g is a good starting place given your stats), and lift weights.
  • socialite1
    Options
    Build muscle and the fat will run away screaming. There really isn't a way to "lose fat first". Weight loss usually includes losing fat and a little muscle (if not done properly). Start a solid weight training regime and I think you'll get the results you're looking for.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Eat at a slight caloric deficit, intake adequate protein (100-110g is a good starting place given your stats), and lift weights.

What he said. And make sure you drink enough liquied to stay hydrated ... it'll flush out fat faster. Remember, to stay fully hydrated, you need to drink at least half of your body weight in water a day, unless it puts you below the 64 ounce rule.

Good luck.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It seems if you eat at a slight deficit, you won't build muscle at any alarming rate. Even women that try, don't build fast. I'd say lift weights, add cardio and see where that takes you. at the very least, you'll fend off the losing of muscle mass while lowering your fat %
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Build muscle and the fat will run away screaming. There really isn't a way to "lose fat first". Weight loss usually includes losing fat and a little muscle (if not done properly). Start a solid weight training regime and I think you'll get the results you're looking for.
    Agreed!
    I had taken a break from weights due to a shoulder injury just before I started MFP. I ended up losing about 30 pounds. I lost a fair amount of muscle mass as well since I had *not* been doing weight training during the reduced-calorie phase. From my very unscientific guess, I lost close to 10 pounds of muscle.
    Now if I could hop in a time machine and give myself a tip, I would say keep up the weight training *as well* as reducing the food intake. You can balance out the calories since you will "earn" extra calories for what you burn. Just remember to log your weight training under cardio (weird but that's where it is).
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn throughout the day.
    Try and get your body weight in grams of protein per day - so around 100 or so in your case. Almonds are a good source for a boost. I also take a protein powder to get me up to my 200 g per day.
    Best of luck in your journey. You will be amazed at what you can do.
  • blnester42
    blnester42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice... I will gladly take it ALL in and see where it gets me!
  • blnester42
    blnester42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time with "eating the calories you burn" my mind just can't fathom that you lose weight by doing this!
  • zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    remember that it is a guide. MFP tells me with how much I'm eating I should be gaining weight, but I'm losing as my body type doesn't fit into their one-size-fits-most calorie calculator.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    cardio is a great way not to gain muscle, but I would incorporate it with circuit training because adding some muscle will help burn fat and calories faster... speaking from experience :))