Sugar cravings controling me. HELP!!!

Options
:frown:

I started my weight loss journey in August. I finally decided it was time, plus, I was scheduled to be the MOH in my best friends wedding on October 1st. I needed to lose weight, and fast! I joined my local YMCA and started taking water aerobics classes 3, then 5 days a week. I started drinking a lot of water, and with MFP's help, was able to eat better! I lost 30lb in 10 weeks. I was THRILLED!! Down 2 dress sizes, I was confident I would look great in my bridesmaid dress. (which I did :wink: ) But the 2 days prior to the wedding, and the day of, my dieting habits went out the window. (so far out the window I havent been able to get them back) We worked 12 hours a day, long into the night the 2 days before setting up. So there was wine, pizza, soda, cookies, and of course, no time for working it off! The day of the wedding was a lot of the same. Blackberry cider with vodka all day while we were getting ready, a large spread of food at the reception, and candy, cookies and cake all night long!

In the 10 weeks prior I was not only able to control my sugar cravings, but it seemed I had eliminated them altogether! It has been nearly 3 weeks since the wedding, and my sugar cravings are STILL controlling me! It feels like the addiction is even stronger now. I am a compulsive over-eater who was in recovery...now I am prisoner to my addiction again! I NEED HELP! My doctor started me on 150mg of Welbutrin 2wks ago. She says it will help with the addictive part of my brain so I can get myself back on track and start losing weight again, but so far, nothing. I am getting desperate...I dont know what to do. I dont ever want to go back to the way I was, and I still need to lose another 50lb in order to be at a healthy weight. Can anyone help me?????

Replies

• jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    I have a sugar addiction and it is totally chemical. No one can convince me otherwise. When i was pregnant all my cravings stopped. Once I had my son they were back on. One sweet thing and thats it. I cant just have one. Plus even if I am totally full if I eat dessert its like my full receptors turn off.

The only thing that helps me is cold turkey. I also am a low carb devoutee. Even breads and stuff trigger sugar cravings. So I know some people wont like it but I would suggest no carbs for a bit to see if that will help. Good luck!
  • UABUncleSam
    Options
    You can have sugar. Don't cut it out; however do it in moderation. Use this program to tell you that you're doing wrong. I have a single serving of my Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream every day during lunch so that I can control my sweet tooth. Of course I could devour an entire 1 gallon bucket of Ice Cream but I won't because I get that little piece of heaven every day and that is the moment in my day I look forward to the most. Get back in line but don't take those things out of your diet that you most enjoy. Just make sure that it's not 98% of your calories. Reward yourself everyday and when you workout...think to yourself. I just worked of my cheat I had today; why you might ask? Because you'll get to have it the next day as well and that makes everyone happy.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You can have sugar. Don't cut it out; however do it in moderation. Use this program to tell you that you're doing wrong. I have a single serving of my Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream every day during lunch so that I can control my sweet tooth. Of course I could devour an entire 1 gallon bucket of Ice Cream but I won't because I get that little piece of heaven every day and that is the moment in my day I look forward to the most. Get back in line by don't take those things out of your diet that you most enjoy. Just make sure that it's not 98% of your calories. Reward yourself everyday and when you workout...think to yourself. I just worked of my cheat I had today; why you might ask? Because you'll get to have it the next day as well and that makes everyone happy.

excellent advise!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm a soda junkie. Full sugar, but I took 3 days to quit. I only allowed myself 8oz a day for 2 days, and then cut it out. Of course that is because I was full of motivation just starting my diet. Your motivation was the wedding, and that is over now. You need to pick a new date, to meet your goal weight by. Let's say Thanksgiving. You want to lose X lbs by Thanksgiving. Now you have a timeline. You can push yourself again. You found you could do it with a time crunch. Do it again. Impress the whole family. If you have kids, show them what motivation and self control can achieve! You can do it. You are in control. Sugar is an inert substance. It can not control you. Sorry about the cliche, but JUST DO IT! ;-) Every challenge is a chance to succeed. Take each craving one at a time. Each time you turn down the sugar for something healthy, remind yourself of that. The next time a craving hits you, you will say, "I beat it last time. I know I can, and why give up now. I am already one up on it!"

You can do it!
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think that you have to tough it out and it will be hard, but will get easier with time. Sugar is just like any other addiction, in the way that it won't feel good at first, but it will get easier. There is no easy fix. Log your food. Seeing the calories on the screen will help you resist.
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OMGosh, i have been there. It's like you can't stop. It really is an addiction. But you DID break it, and you lost 30 lbs, so we all know you CAN do this.

I agree with one of the posters who said cold turkey. The problem is your blood sugar goes up, and then when it crashes, your body is craving more sugar. Try an egg for breakfast, very low refined type carbs, whole wheat bread, that kind of thing. It will be really hard, but stick with it. You'll break it and be back to normal and on track in 3 or 4 days.

Try some green tea too. Sometimes that will help satisfy a craving, esp after a blood sugar drop.

Good luck! You can do this.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my craving as well. You will have to decide what works best for you - I know some that just stay away from it, and as long as they do that they lose the craving. For me, I have found that as long as I am tracking honestly, and treat myself with a little bit each day (as stated in the entry above) then it works. I get such enjoyment out of a piece of chocolate or ice cream, I would hate to cut it out completely!!! I have found a few options that are 100 cals or less, and I make sure to eat healthy for the day...then I get my little treat! It keeps me motivated to eat well the rest of the time, and to do my exercise (to make sure I have room in my calorie allowance). Tracking honestly (even with a bad day) and leaving my diary open to friends helps me limit myself when I'm having a rough day. So far, it has been working. I hope you find a solution that works for you!