Why hello there! I'm a newbie in need of friends.

Options
My name is Maddie and I'm new to "myfitnesspal". I absolutely love this website, its so much easier to keep track of food intake and exercise. I've tried keeping a written food journal but it didn't seem to work for me. Last year I weighed 175 lbs, and this year I weigh 160 so I've lost 15 pounds already just by reducing calorie intake but I've hit a plateau and need to make some more changes. I've found its 80% diet, 20% exercise. When I was at my heaviest I exercised everyday, cardio and weight lifting but I didn't pay any attention to my diet so I didn't lose ANY weight for the longest time. I've found "You are what you eat" is very true. I'm finally learning that you can't have one without the other, you have to eat healthy and exercise to get best results. (But applying this rule to my life is the hardest part).

Right now I'm working 32 hours a week, and going to college full-time (for nursing) and its very difficult to find time to exercise. I used to get up at 5am to workout, but now I'm getting up at 5am to do homework. I'm debating if I should cut back hours at work to fit in time to exercise. But I think I just need to get more organized. My schedule is crazy right now.

Because I'm always either working 54 hours a week in the summers, or working part-time plus in school its hard to find a gym partner (whose willing to get up at 5am) or someone to help motivate and encourage me to keep on track. I seem to have a pattern of doing really well, then drifting off into old bad habits and I'm trying to break this pattern. Any words of encouragement or advice would be awesome :happy:

Are there any nursing students, or nurses with advice on how to survive college without gaining a ton of weight? Any nurses (or nursing students) feel free to send me a friend request too!

Replies

223730 Posts: 55
    Options
    Good luck! It's not easy finding time, but you can do it. I work full time and I am also a full-time student (though not a nursing student), and I also have two young kids (3yrs, 9 months). My husband works in the evenings, so the only time I can work out during the week is going to be RIGHT after I get off work. I also don't have a gym partner, because most people are at still at work when 3:45 rolls around, so I'll be solo unless my husband decides he wants to start coming with me (VERY slim chance of that!) I am also one who tends to do well then drift off. I think having MFP as an "anchor" is going to make all the difference! Can't wait to hear about your progress!
  • lisamarie802
    Options
    Hi Maddie! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Make time to exercise. It will benefit you in so many ways! It will help you think more clearly, and help you stay more focused at work and school! And if it becomes part of your routine, it's so easy to work in!!
  • meghan_elizabeth
    meghan_elizabeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi maddie! I'm new here too. I just joined today! :) Congrats on your 15lbs! What a great start :)
  • brownm71
    Options
    Howdy!!! Feel free to add me as a friend. Im a respiratory therapist and I do know how you feel.
  • sailingmom
    Options
    Our stories are so similar! I am done with school but know what you are going through...it is hard to balance everything when in school. I started using the beach body products..they have so many that fit into your life time crunch! I also started using their shakeology and love it! I think when you hit that plateau you have to mix it up. That's why beach body has works so well for me and many others. I know I sound like an infomercial...but I know it works...if you want to check it out just go to www.beachinbodyteam.com and look at the success stories...they are amazing! If you have any questions just message me! Have a good day!
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. My biggest struggle is finding the time to exercise. I work 40 hours a week, go to school full time, and I have two very active boys. (ages 11 and 9). So I totally understand where you are coming from.

Sound silly, but during my night class, I walk during my break. Its only two 10 minutes but I am moving. Also, I walk on my lunch break (weather permitting) and eat when I am done. I have just added the lunch time walk today and I really enjoyed it. It was a nice break from sitting at the computer all day.

Add me if you would like. Motivation comes in all forms. . .

Best of luck,

Amanda
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Newbie here as well! Feel free to add me :)
  • Amanda0815
    Amanda0815 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, feel free to add me as a friend.

While I'm not in school anymore, I found a way to workout and get work done as well. I download documents I need to review to my iPad and read while I'm on the treadmill or on the bike. Obviously it's hard to do high intensity while reading, but at least I'm moving. Maybe something like that could work for you. I also had to eliminate evening workouts, due to family commitments and am currently trying to get used to the early morning workouts. I love it once I'm done, but getting out the door is a little rough.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find my textbooks on audiobooks so I could download them on my ipod and listen to them while exercising or driving. But I haven't had any luck with the textbooks I have this semester. Maybe I'll have some luck with the classes I take next semester. I don't have a iPad but thats a good idea, I might have to invest into one and kill two birds with one stone. :-) Thanks for the idea.

Every weekend I would drive 6 hours total to see my boyfriend who was working out of town. Now that he's done with work for the season, I have more time on the weekends to finish homework and workout (hopefully,...thats the plan anyway).

I did get a personal trainer recently to also help me get back on track, she's the one who told me about "myfitnesspal". I've had 3 sessions with her and so far lost 2 pounds in 1 1/2 weeks. I can be impatient with losing weight, but I know its better if I lose 1 pound a week because it will more likely stay off.

Thanks for all the encouraging posts guys. :-) I'm excited, and hope I make it to my goal weight. I haven't seen 140 lbs in a loooooong time.