Too much energy at night

Options
Is anyone else having trouble sleeping after a long workout? My body was beat last night after a two hour workout and yet I had a lot of trouble sleeping.

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Start taking some melatonin two hours before bed...works for me.....shower can help too.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Start taking some melatonin two hours before bed...works for me.....shower can help too.
    Melatonin is how I've been sleeping lately. I'm trying to get that monkey off my back though.
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    depending on what type of workout i do---i seem to have trouble sleeping--cant ever seem to get comfortable. i am soooo tired that i want to sleep but cant. i wish exercise gave me energy but alas---it does not--thats why i cant workout in the morning--i would just go back to bed instead of going to work. sorry you had trouble sleeping. my solution---take a swig of jack---just kidding---but that does sound mighty good. :) hope tonight is better for you. *sherri*
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    depending on what type of workout i do---i seem to have trouble sleeping--cant ever seem to get comfortable. i am soooo tired that i want to sleep but cant. i wish exercise gave me energy but alas---it does not--thats why i cant workout in the morning--i would just go back to bed instead of going to work. sorry you had trouble sleeping. my solution---take a swig of jack---just kidding---but that does sound mighty good. :) hope tonight is better for you. *sherri*
    Yeah, Jack is my favorite but too many calories. Captain and Diet is only 60 calories though.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having trouble sleeping after a long workout? My body was beat last night after a two hour workout and yet I had a lot of trouble sleeping.

Yes and because of this I no longer lift at night, this problem sucks.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options

Yes and because of this I no longer lift at night, this problem sucks.
    Because of my work schedule and my son, nights is all I have at the moment.
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    Yeah, Jack is my favorite but too many calories. Captain and Diet is only 60 calories though.

just looked it up---1 oz shot is 65 cal---come on---whats 5 more calories?????? ;P
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options

just looked it up---1 oz shot is 65 cal---come on---whats 5 more calories?????? ;P
    [/quote]

You can't just do one shot.
  • goquiltersgo
    goquiltersgo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try a glass of milk after your workout not only is it a good post workout drink but it has sleep inducing properties as well.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    Try a glass of milk after your workout not only is it a good post workout drink but it has sleep inducing properties as well.
    Good suggestion. I might give that a try
  • sycarroll
    sycarroll Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Could be a endorphin rush, if you are finishing up your workout within 1-2hrs of going to bed
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    Could be a endorphin rush, if you are finishing up your workout within 1-2hrs of going to bed
    That's my guess. Wish I could workout sooner but my schedule doesn't usually allow it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Have access to a steam room?

When I work out at night I try to hit the steam room right after and then take a COLD shower and/or an ice bath right after. Scientific proof behind this is precisely 0 (I've never looked it but I've done it since college when my coach had it as the cool down) and it helps me.

Real life getting in the way of exercise is rough man, hope you find something that works for you.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    Have access to a steam room?

When I work out at night I try to hit the steam room right after and then take a COLD shower and/or an ice bath right after. Scientific proof behind this is precisely 0 (I've never looked it but I've done it since college when my coach had it as the cool down) and it helps me.

Real life getting in the way of exercise is rough man, hope you find something that works for you.
    \
    No steam room at my gym. Regardless, I am persistent. Not working out is not an option.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've started to try to rearrange my day around so I work out earlier (start around 5:30, finish around 7), and it helps a little! Still frustrating, though!
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    i am not a fan of tea, however, i have started drinking zija tea before bed and it has helped a lot.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    i am not a fan of tea, however, i have started drinking zija tea before bed and it has helped a lot.
    And where might I find this tea of which you speak of?