Please Help! Recipes needed.

Options
I am the girl scout leader for my 6 year old's troop. We are learning about different countries and tasting their food. I need simple recipes from Switzerland, England, and India. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.:love:

Replies

• montanamomma
    Options
    I am the girl scout leader for my 6 year old's troop. We are learning about different countries and tasting their food. I need simple recipes from Switzerland, England, and India. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.:love:
  • ferris1364
    ferris1364 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know how well this would work for a Girl Scout Troop, but you could use this as a simple Indian side dish. Its very flavorful, but not very spicy.

Vegetable Biryani
    SERVINGS 4

INGREDIENTS
    1 cup Basmati rice
    1 1/4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cups water
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
    2 tablespoons garam masala
    chili powder to taste
    1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
    1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS

Rinse and soak rice for 30 minutes; drain.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute cumin seeds and cloves for less than 1 minute. Saute the onion, stirring constantly, until brown. Stir in rice and fry for about 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the water, salt, garam masala, chili powder and vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and stir in butter before serving.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Check out this website. It may help...

http://recipes.wuzzle.org/

:wink:
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Curry Chicken
    Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cook time: 20 minutes

4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chucky pieces and dusted with a handful of all-purpose flour
    1 yellow medium Spanish onion, peeled, halved and cut into ¼ inch strips
    1 piece fresh gingerroot, about 2 inches, grated
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can (15 ounces) no-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons mild curry paste
    2 tablespoons peanut or sesame oil
    Coarse salt, to taste

Start a pot of water to boil for jasmine or white rice, following the directions on the box. The rice will take longer than the dish to prepare.

In a large skillet, working over medium-high heat, brown the chicken for 4 minutes on each side in the peanut or sesame oil. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Add onion, gingerroot and garlic. Sauté for another 3 minutes, until onion becomes tender. Add broth and lift off all of the good junk stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add curry paste and return chicken to the pan. Heat through to a boil. Give the pan a good shake. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to desired thickness.

Serve over rice. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information per serving (minus rice)
    Calories - 324
    Fat - 7.3g
    Saturated fat - 1.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat - 2.2g
    Monounsaturated fat - 2.2g
    Cholesterol - 137mg
    Sodium - 508 mg
    Potassium - 698
    Total carbs - 4.6g
    Fiber - 1.3g
    Sugars - 0.3g
    Protein - 56.3g