WHY WEIGHT?

Options
I have had a gym membership for over a year now, and I have not touched ONE of those weird looking machine thingies... I can see myself making a fool out of myself by sitting backwards or dropping the weights, idk...:blushing:

In a nutshell, I WILL NOT USE THEM! I love the bootcamp class they offer, but I am not able to attend anymore.

I attend spin class 3x a week and run for 30-45 minutes 3x a week so I have cardio under control, I just need to tone up the extra jiggle :laugh:

Can you guys help me figure out some type of routine I can do at home that targets most of the areas (Inner thighs, stomach *mainly love handle area*, middle/lower back *Darn bra buldge :mad: *, upper arms)

Thanks a bunch :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/body-sculpting/ has great free videos. If you do not have weights you can use water bottles or soup cans. It doesn't have to be heavy to tone you just need more weight if you are trying to Build muscle. Best of luck.:flowerforyou:

*Edit* also from the areas you are mentioning you may see great benefit from the yoga vids on there they really give a great workout.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Just remember you cannot spot reduce fat. You can do all the cruches you want expecting a 6 pack... but it wont happen unless you lose the fat.

Most of those machines have pictures on them showing how to do them.

If you really dont want to use them then i suggest pushups/situps and such. Or look into insanity
  • travelerkate
    travelerkate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Depending on your gym, they might have a weights class. Mine has Body Pump which is a mix of free weights and barbells. It is really challenging, but you use what you're comfortable with (my weights are very small) and you build up from there.
  • laurenduck05
    laurenduck05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    One word- "kettlebell" ...... Research it, buy it, do the various YouTube videos out there in your own home!!!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is a great part of any workout routine. It has actually be proven to help boost weight loss and is amazing for slimming down. But remember, there isn't a quick fix for each individual area of your body. It requires lowering body fat percentage to be more lean.

Since you are at a gym, you should have someone that will teach you how to use the machines. Don't be scared of them. Honestly, no one is really watching you; they are too busy zoning out with their workouts. I used to shy away from the machines too, but what I wanted goal wise required me to use them, so I sucked it up and did it.

If you still don't want to, just use dumbells. There are many routines you can find online that would work well.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Usually you can ask the staff to show you how something works if you are confused. Also, no one is really paying that much attention to you at the gym, so if you do something wrong I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You could also try the 30 day shred video? Or if you have a Wii the Wii Fit is good...
    I am sure someone at the gym would show you how to use the machines...
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Free weights are a great place to start, as well as a resistance band which is awesome for leg work, and a stability ball for abs. Sitting on the ball while doing your arm work will double up as ab work, too!

Websites like SELF, SHAPE, and FITNESS magazines have TONS of great routines for all areas of the body. Personally, my go-tos are:

For arms: Bicep curls; overhead shoulder press; overhead tricep extension; lateral shoulder raise; hammer curls; push-ups

For legs: squats holding weights; leg lifts - either standing or laying down; weighted lunges; single-leg squats

For tummy: hold your dumbells together and trace a circle out in front of you, dropping down into a wide squat at the bottom and reaching up overhead at the top. It's a great all over toner and works the abs standing up; reverse crunches; plank
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, go download an app called Virtuagym. Walks you through every exercise step by step.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend asking someone at the gym to show you how to use the machines! I was super intimidated by them, but my husband (patiently) walked me through every machine and made me try them out. Some of them I didn't pay attention how to adjust the seat or something, so I did feel dumb at first, but once you touch the machine (and review the how-to photo on it) it will make sense. If someone is paying attention, they are probly trying to figure out how to use the machine too, or jealous of all the weight you are using :-)
    Of course you can always do sit-ups, crunches, squats etc etc etc, but if you regularly go to the gym anyways, it can't hurt to try out the machines.
  • JessicaYouCanDoIt
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the amazing tips :happy: !!!!!