College Student Diet?

Options
Hey everyone!

I am a second year university student, and this is my first year cooking for myself.

I think I have been doing alright so far, but I think I need a little help :smile:

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what good meals are that are cheap and low in sodium? I can deal with higher calorie foods, I just don't like the processed crap that's full of salt :sick:

Please keep in mind that all I have for a freezer is the small compartment that is put in mini-fridges, and even then that doesn't work that well.

So any ideas for foods that are cheap and healthy?

Thanks everyone! :bigsmile:

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :) i make SO many!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Invest in the dining hall meal plan and make healthy selections. Steal food and take it back to your place. That's how I survived living on campus.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are sometimes about $1/16-oz. bag and just as nutritious as (or more so than) fresh!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad! You can add any veggies you like, and whatever canned beans you like. Personally I like using whole grain pasta with carrots, tomato, cucumber, corn, onion, little bit of olives, kidney beans and garbanzo beans. Add a little salad dressing and divide into serving sizes. Perfect for going to class all you need is a fork!

I also ate a lot of hard-boiled eggs, turkey on whole grain bread, veggies and hummus, apple and PB, "trail mix" with dried fruit, mixed nuts, cereal, and in the fall i used to add candy corn (just make sure you divide it out into individual serving sizes), soups, beans and rice, chicken salad, english muffins with various toppings, yogurt, turkey hot dogs (no bun with veggies on the side)
  • SapphoSensei
    Options
    Chili - meat or veggie. Great food, super nutrious, very filling, tasty and reheats even better for lunchor dinner day two and three! I ate this a lot in college.
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and jelly on Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. I live off of that.

Oh and turkey burgers.
  • Rosalie20
    Options
    thank God you're not in a dorm! Those are the worst. There are a lot of good recipes on http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/ It's the blog of a college student who went from 211 lbs to about 120 lbs the HEALTHY way. she has it in separate tabs (snack, dinner, drinks, desserts, etc) and it's got good advice as well. good luck!
  • rebeccapri
    rebeccapri Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some of my go to's:
    -Burrito with chopped veggies, salsa, fried egg and tortilla shell
    -hard boiled eggs
    -ALWAYS have fruit on hand (easy to take on the go)
    -ALWAYS have baby carrots on hand (easy to take on the go)
    -I like making thin crust pizzas with a tortilla shell, pepperoni and a little cheese
    -Campbells Soup at Hand (Our university library has a cofee shop on one floor with a microwave, so I even heat it up and drink it when I'm studying at the lib)
    -Quesadillas (with a little bit of cheese and black beans)
    -Shredded Chicken (you can do sososo much with this!!)
    -Oatmeal for breakfast (low in calories and fills you up!)
    -Tuna spread and crackers with fruit and veggies for lunch

Also if you don't have a crock pot get one! They are amazing and I LOVE mine!! Happy cooking :)