Advice required from Medically trained MFP'ers

Options
OK so I have had the flu, apparently it's a coincidence that it hit me a couple of days after my flu shot (!). It developed pretty quickly into a nasty chest infection that has knocked my socks off... I have 5 days of antibiotics left but am going stir-crazy. I'm looking for some recommendations for ways to burn calories without getting out of breath. I know it sounds crazy :)

With the chest infection, even walking up stairs is difficult with such a limited lung capacity, and I have to sleep sitting up because of the coughing fits. So I wondered about the theory of calorie burning ... elevated heartbeat = increased breathing?

I have tried to sit still for a week now... I just need to find something that is going to get me moving but won't set off a coughing fit (they are quite violent!)

Thanks Y'All!

Replies

• adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You should probably hold off on the cardio until you feel better or get the OK from your doc. It's better to be safe than sorry with things like this. I think the best thing you can do for your body right now is rest.

But if you're up for it, try doing some strength training instead, or yoga, or go on a long (but slow) walk. Walking slowly actually burns a lot of calories!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm not medically trained but I can tell you that a fundamental part of recovery from the flu is rest so I don't think you should be looking for exercise or burning calories. Look into eating healthy and keeping to your calories, you can restart your normal routines soon enough and fully recovered.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I had that last week. It drove me crazy just sitting but I have been back to walking....slow, but walking yesterday and today. My flu/bronchitis took 10 days before I could start moving. Just take it easy. Tea with honey helped me. Feel better soon!! : )

I did do some stretching but I got real worn out when done.
  • Charise317
    Charise317 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try to tighten the major muscle groups from a still position. this is a safe and effective exercise to perform while sick. DO NOT over exert yourself or you will take even longer to heal
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    OK so I have had the flu, apparently it's a coincidence that it hit me a couple of days after my flu shot (!). It developed pretty quickly into a nasty chest infection that has knocked my socks off... I have 5 days of antibiotics left but am going stir-crazy. I'm looking for some recommendations for ways to burn calories without getting out of breath. I know it sounds crazy :)

With the chest infection, even walking up stairs is difficult with such a limited lung capacity, and I have to sleep sitting up because of the coughing fits. So I wondered about the theory of calorie burning ... elevated heartbeat = increased breathing?

I have tried to sit still for a week now... I just need to find something that is going to get me moving but won't set off a coughing fit (they are quite violent!)

Thanks Y'All!
    Rest. Exercise compromises your immune system. Don't overtax it while your body is fighting the virus.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    My mother looked over my shoulder at me reading this and 'tutted'. Very British I know. Why is this relevant? She's a nurse of 45 experience.

Her advice? Stay in bed, eat healthy and recover. You are sick. Give your body the rest and the nutrients it needs to recover. You're only going to make it last longer if you try to exercise.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - great to have some well thought out responses - I was prepared for flamers!!

I will take it easy and try some of the stretches, then work up to walking. It pains me... especially as I'm so close to my first goal, but oh well :) Health comes first.