LOOSE SKIN

Options
IM VERY EXCITED AT THE IDEA OF BEING THIN BUT........ I DONT WANNA BE A PILE OF SAGY SKIN. I KNOW THAT MY FRIEND USED COCO BUTTER ON HER BELLY WHEN SHE WAS PREGNANT AND SHE DIDNT KEEP HER BABY FLAB LONG. DOES THIS REALLY WORK? ANY SUGESTIONS ?

Replies

• SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I am concerned about this too, as I was over 300 when I started, and I'm about to leave the 220's! I do know that it's very important that you do strength training while you are losing because this helps tone and firm. I don't buy the cocoa butter thing - being pregnant for 9months - and being severely overweight for years and years are totally different, and affect your body differently..
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight really slowly over a span of a couple of years and haven't had too much problem with the loose skin issue. I think doing it slowly and exercising are your best bet, but I'm not an expert.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The coco butter thing is a myth. Your friend has great genetics. Plain and simple.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It is something to consider yes but every body reacts to weight gain and loss in different ways. My advice is to keep hydrated and use a vitamin E moisturiser but concentrate on the weight loss part now and the loose skin if and when it becomes an issue.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    on lady on my friend list suggested preparation h and she was over 300 and she looks gud.. she has lost 148...she said she used it twice a day.. and she used the genric..
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    This depends on how overweight you were, how long you were overweight, how fast you lose it, how old you and a little bit of lucky genetics.

I personally know from visiting many doctors that I have 20lbs of excess skin on my tummy which is where I carried most of my weight when I was obese. It's not going away without a tummy tuck.... but it's a lot better than being fat!
  • Bellastarflower
    Options
    I'm worried about that too. I started out at 361. I've lost 31 pounds so far and I've noticed a change in my body and how clothes fit. Hope I don't have to have a tummy tuck etc. When I'm done losing the weight.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight really slowly over a span of a couple of years and haven't had too much problem with the loose skin issue. I think doing it slowly and exercising are your best bet, but I'm not an expert.

Thanks for sharing - glad to hear this as I am 47 and have lost 30 pounds in a year with 20 more to go. I don't think my stomach will ever be pretty though even if it is smaller!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    saggy skin or not, I am going to lose more weight!
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing - glad to hear this as I am 47 and have lost 30 pounds in a year with 20 more to go. I don't think my stomach will ever be pretty though even if it is smaller!

I'm 47 as well, and I hear ya on the tummy thing. My 10 lb. 2 oz. son did a number on my stomach long before I became overweight, so yeah, I won't be bouncing quarters off my abs anytime soon. But, that's pretty much the only part I have any kind of loose skin issue with and I've found that shaper underwear work wonders for that area. Will never be without them. :tongue:
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I did a pretty thorough internet search on this subject just last week, after a friend of mine was told, "You can't lost arm flab in your 60s." I'm 65, I've lost 20 pounds since March, and I've actually lost some arm flab and loose skin. If I can do it, so can you. I'm sure genetics plays a role, but here's a summary of what I learned in my search last week.

1. Drink lots of water. Eight cups a day is a minimum. Skin needs water to be flexible.
    2. Do weight training. Especially work the muscles under the skin that is flabby. This increases circulation to that area. One related tip I found is that if you are losing belly fat, try to get into a habit of simply contracting your abdominal muscles and holding the contraction as long as you can repeatedly throughout the day.
    3. Get massages if you can. This helps the circulation in the skin and stimulates the connective tissues under the skin.
    4. Use moisturizer. Use it several times a day if your skin is dry (or old and dry). Yes, Virginia, it does make a difference to the skin's elasticity --- at any age.
    5. Make sure you get enough vitamins and minerals.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The coco butter thing is a myth. Your friend has great genetics. Plain and simple.

Hey Jolene!
    I didn't know you were on here........small online world :)
    ps I agree great genes.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am 80lbs thinner.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I did a pretty thorough internet search on this subject just last week, after a friend of mine was told, "You can't lost arm flab in your 60s." I'm 65, I've lost 20 pounds since March, and I've actually lost some arm flab and loose skin. If I can do it, so can you. I'm sure genetics plays a role, but here's a summary of what I learned in my search last week.

1. Drink lots of water. Eight cups a day is a minimum. Skin needs water to be flexible.
    2. Do weight training. Especially work the muscles under the skin that is flabby. This increases circulation to that area. One related tip I found is that if you are losing belly fat, try to get into a habit of simply contracting your abdominal muscles and holding the contraction as long as you can repeatedly throughout the day.
    3. Get massages if you can. This helps the circulation in the skin and stimulates the connective tissues under the skin.
    4. Use moisturizer. Use it several times a day if your skin is dry (or old and dry). Yes, Virginia, it does make a difference to the skin's elasticity --- at any age.
    5. Make sure you get enough vitamins and minerals.

awesome info thanks!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Hey Jolene!
    I didn't know you were on here........small online world :)
    ps I agree great genes.

Hey stranger!!! :o)
  • Annieboo51
    Options
    great info .... thanks
  • MrsWagz
    MrsWagz Posts: 41
    Options
    In research I've done they say the elasticity of your skin is genetic.. As you tone up the underneath it will make the skin look better on the outside but you can't tone loose skin.. I was really worried about this before I had children and after the c section birth of both of my boys (who are 16 mos apart) I have some extra skin that I'm guessing I'll always have. I have a strong core and I have found it really does help the skin issue not be such a problem.. I've also heard experts say the cream is nice because it moisturizes but it doesn't really work to help with loose skin.. Good luck and keep at it girl!:wink:
  • MrsWagz
    MrsWagz Posts: 41
    Options
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am 31 and i have 3 kids i have had 1 c-cection and two v-bac's. I have lost 69 lbs mosty in my tummy and hips .I am happy with my weight but I would like a flater tummy .. . I went to lost of docs and they all told me I will not loose the rest that it is not body fat it is skin .. I almost got a tummy tuck than I thought maybe I could weight train and get it off.. So I got a bowflex to see if it will help but I am scared the docs are right .. :( help me ;(