Marathon Training

Options
If a person is in good physical shape how long do they need to prepare for a marathon. I don't have a time goal, this would be my first one. I just want to complete one, for my first one. Then move on from there. I have done a few 5k's and I have a training plan from my trainer and have been working out for 2 years. He thinks 1 year will be enough time to prepare for it... I can run 4m at a time right now so do you think a year will be enough to get it so that I can just complete it ?

Replies

• irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes, but being mentally ready is essential, too. You need to be able to dig deeper when you hit your wall out there (normally by mile 20, I hit mine between 14 and 17 -- so i was in hell a little longer than average). Keep this in mind, too. I'm doing my second in less than a month and did my first in September. I trained 2x prior in 2009 and 2010 but wasn't mentally prepared to handle it at the time.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    In a year I went from not running to being ready for a 1/2 marathon...so I don't see why you couldn't be ready for a full marathon in a year. You may want to consider planning 10K's and 1/2 in the meantime for some milestones to work toward. Good luck! I'm thinking about working toward a full marathon in the near future too.
  • mmuzzy1068
    Options
    Yes, I used to work in a gym and had plenty of people who were training for their first marathon and I have always heard everyone say it takes about a year to prep. Best of luck to you...keep up the strength training as well. I believe you can find training guides on the web for first time marathonees. ;)
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    If you can run 4 miles now, you could do it in 6 months. It really depends how often you are running 4 miles. Most trainings that I see have you run 4 miles twice a week and then a third run on a weekend that is your "long run" that goes up in distance to build your endurance.

I suggest you google marathon training and assess your ability to run currently :wink:

edit: I though it was a half marathon.... that is my timetable, sorry I misread the OP.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've never done one I'm training for my first 5k now but i think you should train for a 10k then a half marathon and then keep going
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Sorry it double posted
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    5-6 months
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've been taught that you need a base of at least a year of running before you should START marathon training. A half marathon could be done in a lot less. I ran my first marathon about 18 months after starting running and did ok. Now, 3 years later, I just ran two marathons 3 weeks apart and felt SO much better. I was more confident, too.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Im training for a half in March. I have ran 2 5ks...and have an 8k Nov 12th. My longest run so far has only been 6 miles. And I have to run double that! I have a 6 mile time of 1:14:00....so I want to do the half in 2:40:00. (knowing Ill hit the wall somewhere along there too!) But..ideally..I just want to finish without passing out or throwing up and have a 13.1 sticker to go with my 3.1 sticker on my car...lol. There are some really good training programs and forums on runnersworld.com
  • samantha_runs
    Options
    yeah I don't expect this to be an AWESOME marathon, I really just want to complete one, I have 3 10k's planned and 2 1/2's before hand. I have a training plan that incorporates the races and the tapers for the 1/2's and the marathon I am running it with other friends... Thank you so much for all the guidelines I am going to give it the full year and see how much I can accomplish and use the 1/2 marathons as my guide to the full.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    nadine2unfit2bqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    google the victoria goodlife marathon. They have really good training programs you can print off for free. Each run is dated leading up to their marathon, but you can just change the dates working backwards from when you plan to run yours.

That said, some tips for you...

Run a few half marathons before training for a full! There is a HUGE difference between the two distances... anyone in reasonable shape can run a 1/2 - though it will hurt if they don't train. Going into a half you're hoping nothing goes wrong and that you'll make it to the finish pain free. Going into a full you KNOW something WILL go wrong, and you're mentally preparing yourself to deal with the pain.

I know you said you don't have a goal time, but having a target pace is important in training. Not every training run is the same. Your schedule should be made up of easy days (where you run 1-2 minutes slower than your target pace) long run days (where you run 30-45 seconds slower than your target pace) tempo days (where you run at your target pace) and interval days (where you run sprint intervals to increase your VO2 max). To find out your target pace get a heart rate monitor, or borrow one. First you need to find out your max heart rate (run 3km easy then 1km fast then 400meters full out sprint - check your heart rate immediately after finishing the 400m sprint, thats pretty close to your max) Once you have your max you can calculate your target marathon pace, which should be around 75% - 85% of your max. Then go for a run and monitor your heart rate till your running as close as possible to your target, and record that pace. As you get in better shape the pace you can maintain at your target heart rate may increase, so keep checking it every couple months. Treadmills are pretty bad for accuracy so try to do this outside! Also, I know it seems weird to run your long runs slower than your goal pace - but the system works. On race day you'll naturally run faster as you get caught up in the hype, and over training by trying to run all your long runs too fast will just cause injury (trust me - I've popped a rib 5 times, had runners knee and joint problems in my feet - overtraining will only slow you down!)

Get a copy of "born to run." Best book about running you'll ever read - from technique and injury prevention to the reasons why we run - there are some really inspiring stories in it. The biggest thing I got from this book was no matter how much pain I am in while running, to concentrate on making it feel light and easy, and to smile and try to have fun even if I am massively hurting inside. Don't let yourself be the person who has mentally given up, who is dragging their feet and grimacing and thinking every step of the marathon sucks. Be the person who is smiling despite the pain, laughing at the funny signs bystanders have like "humpty dumpty had wall problems too" and high fiving people who are cheering you on.

Ps. "Hitting the wall" if you haven't heard this expressions, you will!
  • samantha_runs
    Options
    awesome thanks so much ! getting the book tomorrow !
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02:

some people want to check the "I've completed a marathon" box, while others want to learn how to run and race the distance

so the answer depends on which camp you fall in

to the extent that you want to run and keeping run, I always suggest 6 months of running 25-30 miles a week BEFORE starting an 18 week marathon training plan - for sure run some half marathons while ramping up the mileage

you will find lots of people who started with less training, but if I want to learn how to do it right, then you have to put in the miles
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    you will find lots of people who started with less training, but if I want to learn how to do it right, then you have to put in the miles
    This! So very, very true!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Sometime being the voice of reason makes me unpopular, but it really is a tough distance (even when properly trained).
  • DisneyMommy
    Options

Sometime being the voice of reason makes me unpopular, but it really is a tough distance (even when properly trained).
    I love your advice! I did my first full in 2009 after doing many 1/2's. I didn't respect the distance. I do now!
  • samantha_runs
    Options
    Yeah I want to do a lot of long runs first and at least 2 1/2's before even starting my training so I feel like 1 year should be enough time to complete the marathon and in a reasonable time :) I don't want to over do it or just go out and do something I am not prepared for !
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just watched a documentary on Hulu... Nova: Marathon Challenge. They took a group of sedentary people and trained them for 9 months to see if they could complete a marathon. Every single person, with the exception of 1 who had to drop out b/c of an injury, completed it. So I'd think a year would be doable, given the fact that you won't have marathon winners coaching you.
  • samantha_runs
    Options
    well my trainer runs them all the time and such so he should be a big help he doesn't win them ;] but he does considerably well ! haha (: thanks so much !! this has been super helpful
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump