Time of the Month Question....

Options
I notice that a lot of people, when they are on their TOM, they say they put on weight.

I was wondering whether this is because they tend to eat more when they are on their period, or is it something that just happens, whether you eat more or not?

:)

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    water retention. notice that your boobs blow u0p? Your boobs on their own can gain 1kg EACH during TOM. That's a whole cup!!!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I acually bloat up ebfore TOM arrives. No change in eating or exercise. I do eat more but once the bloat weight is there I don't gain anymore. I have read that our bodies need more food during TOM. I gain anywhere from 2-6 lbs.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    For me I retain more fluid in the week before my TOM, even if I up my water intake. Before starting my get healthy journey I would easily gain at least 5 every month and lose it by the time it is over. Now, I've noticed that I generally hold to the same weight before and have my "best" weightloss for the month when I weigh in after. That is just me though.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    YUp, you retain water!! Just drink drink drink water! And minimize your salt intake. ;)
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    With me, it is LITERALLY just natuarlly. When its about to visit, I assure that I stay away from any temptations that I normally crave around that time, go harder in the gym and stay on top of my eating habits. However, to no avail. I still put on 2-3lbs. I'm currently going through this battle as we speak. Needless to say, I hate this time of month; especially when it always pops up near my weigh-in days :-(
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    I don't know about the weight gain thing...I don't own a scale....But I do watch what I eat cause I get massive cramps and the booobs hurt...I watch my sodium and caffine intake/
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    e53089c0.png
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    hmmm.....I always seem to lose that week....I always drink lots of water.
  • TonnaJai
    TonnaJai Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat more when its that time, as well as the water weight, just have to be careful that you are eating the right things I usually schedule my cheat day close to that time so that I can have those things at least one day in the right portion :)
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I dont, I just cant lose anything the week before and then I lose gradually over the actually week of it.
  • rissameade
    Options
    I think a bit of both I notice I eat more during my TOM but I am also bloated with the extra water weight--I have been trying to aoid weighing if I am on it so that I dont get upset and fall off the get fit wagon
  • TonnaJai
    TonnaJai Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    asapargus also helps
  • calamitydown
    Options
    for a lot of people, it's water retention. i know girls that gain upwards of 10 pounds per cycle just from fluid! it's ridiculous. with your question about eating more, our bodies often crave things that they "shed" through our cycle. for instance, i read somewhere that when you're craving chocolate, that means your body needs magnesium?
    anyways, although many people on here disagree with me on this particular next subject (because apparently one peer study is room to argue?), but i've had it backed by medical professionals (that went to school wayyyy longer than the people on here ;)): you can burn about 200+/- extra calories on your period. of course it varies from person to person, but it's true. i'm happy to explain that more in depth if you want to message me.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I heart this!!!!
    e53089c0.png
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    *edited for stupidity
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    e53089c0.png

BAHAHAHAHAAHAH :laugh:

*round of applause for SSR*
  • mysti00
    mysti00 Posts: 32
    Options
    If it's water weight, when your TOM is over do you lose it pretty much instantly or have to work it off? I never paid attention before but I gain 3-5 pounds the day it starts.
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I shall drinks lots of water :)
    It should start tomorrow, and my weigh in day is on Friday, but I might change it to Monday morning, because it should have finished by then.

<3
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I shall drinks lots of water :)
    It should start tomorrow, and my weigh in day is on Friday, but I might change it to Monday morning, because it should have finished by then.

<3

Tomorrow? Im marking this on my calender.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Allow a couple of days after you finish. Water retention reduces late cycle, but is usually gone completely a day or so after you stop bleeding.