What do you do about your kids' halloween candy?

Options
2»

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I tax them one or two Reeses Peanut Butter Cups(for my troubles) , sort out the quality candy, and toss the rest. No one misses the Jolly Ranchers and dusty lollipops.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    We do the same thing several have already mentioned. We put all the candy in a bowl and let them have one or two pieces at a time. Eventually all the "good stuff" is gone, and they forget about it. Our youngest is 9 and she claims she's not trick-or-treating anymore, so hopefully we won't have this issue again.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i go through their bags and take out anything with artificial colors and have hubby take it to work to give to coworkers.
    i let them have one day to eat the rest...if theres anything left at the end of the day, it gets donated to the mommy treat bag. they get some of it every so often, i eat some every so often. but i dont usually have a problem eating one or two fun size chocolates and leaving the rest
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    We started going to the trunk or treat at church, and that decreased my daughters candy intake by like 2/3rds. LOL Maybe look into other kid friendly activities to do on Halloween. Last year our church had over hundred of kids come through, but they had activity, like a jumping castle and face painting etc.

Maybe find a local church that is doing some activities or even sometimes schools put together something. Like a corn field maze, or a haunted house. That way the kids have lots of fun, but you can cut trick or treating down to like an hour. Means a fun filled Halloween, but less candy to fill up the next 3 months! LOL
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    They're trick-or-treating on Sunday in a nearby neighborhood and on Monday in our neighborhood so I asked the kids which one they wanted to go to and they said the one on Sunday and then they suggested that we give away the candy they collected on Monday so that it wouldn't be in the house. I'll let them keep a few pieces and the rest will be re-given to trick-or-treaters.
  • Mnjdlady
    Options
    I for one don't celebrate halloween, and now more than ever im happy i dont, cause that candy is brutal on our calorie limits...lol
  • suzwirthlin
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I'm glad to see I won't be the only parent out there limiting the kids' candy consumption. :)

Hopefully this year everyone will give out the gross stuff - tootsie rolls, the gross taffy, maybe some mary jane candies?

Please no snickers, baby ruths, peanut butter cups. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it!!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Let them eat it all as quickly as possible to get rid of it. None of this "X amount of pieces per day" that's a bad idea.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. My son is 3 so I can get by with throwing stuff away and he doesn't really notice yet. I'll probably bring most of it to work but let him keep his favorite things for special treats every so often.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    No eating candy til we get home and sort it and I check it bc my son has allergies. So that cuts down on the amount of time they have to eat it! We focus on running around trick or treating which is the part they love anyway more then the candy.

Once sorted, I let them eat what they want on Halloween which is never really all that much because I make sure they have a good dinner so they are not hungry. And it is late by the time we get back and sort so it ends up being 2-3 mini candy bars. I would prob cut them off if they kept going but I like them to feel like it is their decision! I say things like, well listen to your tummy, don't get sick!!! No one is taking it away you can have something else tomorrow. Then we put it away - out of sight, out of mind. if left out out the counter it reminds them! I put every trace of it up high in the pantry. They ask for a few days after dinner and I let them pick a couple things. They have a few then they forget after a few days.

This year I will just say no to Halloween candy! I prefer really good chocolate anyway! LOL so I will maybe have a piece of my own stash.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Please no snickers, baby ruths, peanut butter cups. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it!!

We were the evil parents who gave out reeses, twix and hershey's last year......the worst part for me was sitting next to the giant bowl of candy while giving it out and trying not to eat any!
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well, when my daughter was small, she was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, so we would buy her candy from her and let her go get a special toy (then I would take it to work). Of course after a year or so, our neighbors knew about her diabetes and would give her money, microwave popcorn, pencils, crayons, etc. They were so cool about making her up a little bag. My son would have some of his candy, and I would put a single piece of it in his lunch (and freeze the rest in the interim). After a week or two and I stopped, he would accept that it was gone, and then I would put it in the christmas stockings...
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    It it's in the house, I WILL eat it. :)

Do you steal from people you don't know? Then don't steal from your kids! It's their candy, not yours! You can regulate how much they eat at a time, but just remember that it isn't yours, so you don't get to eat it!
    Do you have kids that you take trick-or-treating? My gas gets them to town, my money buys the costume, if I want a mini-snickers, I'm getting it. My kids don't care anyway. This year it won't be an issue anyway as there will be a time limit on how long we keep it and I'm not going to indulge.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    First, I don't buy any candy to give out, what we do is go trick or treating early in the evening (my kids are on the younger side), and then they each pick out 5 pieces of candy for themselves. The rest goes in the bucket and I give it out to the other kids who come to the door. Towards the end of the night, I put what is left in a zip lock and hand it to the first group of teenagers who come to the door, then I turn out the light and don't answer the door anymore LOL For being good sports, my kids each get to pick out a book or toy the next time we go shopping.