Olive Garden

Options
My team is going here the night before our conference cross country meet. Kind of MAD because my nutrition professor said it's just as bad as mcdonalds, and looking at the nutritional menu, everything has tons of fat and calories! I'm only going to be able to eat half, unless I want to put tons of fat in my body before my race. I like to eat a lot of healthy food versus a little crap food. Any ideas on what to get?

Replies

• voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I hear they have lettuce...
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    Sorry, I have no advice, but I will say that I understand your dilemma. I was amazed the last time I ate there that even the salad was LOADED with calories.
  • briandancer
    Options
    Order the Minestrone Soup. Not many calories at all, even if you eat more than one bowl.
  • Hiribe
    Hiribe Posts: 11
    Options
    I hear you can request the salad without the dressing.
  • STL1
    STL1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Venetian apricot chicken is very good and 400 calories for full and 290 for half.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Personally I'd just skip it. I hate eating out, and if I do its a 6in sub from subway.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    The sodium is what really gets me at OG...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, that is annoying. Normally I would say, go and enjoy it; it's just one day. But the night before a race, I agree that you shouldn't make any compromises on your nutrition. *kitten* 'em. Bring your own food with you to the restaurant and eat that instead.

ETA: Olive Garden would be a great place to go AFTER the meet!
  • malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    last time i went i only ate half of my meal and it filled me up plenty
    i had some salad to start :)
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    You can get the salad without dressing; and bring your own. I think they may offer a fat free on the side, order some grilled chicken and veggies; and you can order the bread dry as well.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    and tomatoes, too...
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    What did your team say when you told them your concern? They have the same race to run too, don't they? Maybe they don't realize there isn't a healthy menu option. If they do, maybe you could suggest a healthier alternative before, and agree to go after?
  • jfarn422
    jfarn422 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The minestrone soup is good AND it has beans (protien) and low calorie... the only tough thing will be staying away from those breadsticks.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just stay away from the creamy/buttery sauces and you should be good. Opt for the garden over the Caesar salad and go easy on the parm if you choose to have any. The breadsticks are deadly so try to limit yourself to one, if any. Other than that, use your common sense, judging by your photo a little bit of fat isn't going to kill you and the carbs will do you good for your meet. Oh! and throw on a chicken breast to whatever your having, you'll need the protein.
  • christy_r
    christy_r Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Agree w/ the minestrone soup, it's fantastic and I believe 100 cals/bowl? And vegetarian to boot :D good luck!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I think they have an aprocot chicken meal.

Venetian Apricot Chicken
    Grilled chicken breasts in an apricot citrus sauce. Served with broccoli, asparagus and diced tomatoes.

Item Calories- 400
    Total Fat (g) 6.79
    Sat. Fat (g) 1.86
    Sodium 1290
    Carb. (g) 34
    Fiber (g) 6
    Protein (g) 51
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Venetian Apricot Chicken!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    and tomatoes, too...

sometimes i swear they have carrots on rare occasions
  • webarrett
    webarrett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Venetian Apricot Chicken didn't look too bad...
    400 Calories
    6.79 Total Fat (g)
    1.86 Sat. Fat (g)
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I went online and checked out the menu- maybe you would do BETTER at McDonald's! :0

When I found lower carbs, it was coupled with through the roof sodium. Lower sodium? 90+ carbs.

Sheesh.

Get a salad minus croutons. Thats all I saw that may be ok.