Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options
Alright, sell me on almond milk. Is it really better for you than skim milk? How does the nutrition compare? How about taste and cost?

I love milk but generally am down to 1 glass per day now since I've started my weight loss journey. Even so, this would be a major change for me. The most use it would get for me would be in my morning protein shake (1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 cup milk, 2 tbsp peanut butter, ice).

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :love: mmmmmmalmond milk.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Why the hell is it so expensive?

Skimmed milk 2.2litres = £1.20

Almond milk 1litre= £3

WTF!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Almond milk has way less protein than regular milk (almond milk has only 1g per cup while milk has 8g). But milk has sugars in it while unsweetened almond milk does not. So it depends on what you're looking for.

Edit: I love almond milk in my protein shakes because it's so thick and creamy.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love love love almond milk! It's 40 calories versus 90 for skim milk. Calcium is similar, I think. Protein is not nearly as much, but I eat tons of protein as it is. Almond milk can be used as a substitute for milk to blend with eggs for a very low-cal omelet, or as creamer in coffee. The flavor is great, and almonds are good for you.

I've been reading about cow milk and the milk industry and studies done on human consumption of cow's milk--I pretty much don't want to consume it regularly unless in the form of cheese or yogurt. (Still eat meat though.) Though I will have it in coffee or if that's what someone is serving I'll have it. I made sure to drink it regularly while pregnant since there's such a fetal necessity for calcium.
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    How does almond milk rate with a chocolate chip cookie? That is the really important question.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has less suger than 2%. Not sure about 0%
  • BethyAnn93
    Options
    I dont know what to say other than the fact that almond milk is super good! I LOVE it!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I prefer Almond Milk. I like to mix it in my cereals and protein powders.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Edit: Damn double post
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    How does almond milk rate with a chocolate chip cookie? That is the really important question.
    No comparison. If I eat something like a cookie, I have to have regular milk with it. I do love almond milk in my protein shakes though.
  • 3ball
    Options
    So I finally got some almond milk last night. I must have got the wrong kind or something as it was 90 calories? The taste is fine though, and worked pretty good in my protein shake this morning.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the 90 calorie/cup Vanilla PureAlmond milk; I find that I can't drink it straight, but I eat it with my Kashi heart-to-heart cereal and could tolerate the difference.

Note: I have been a skim milk drinker since I was 14. I suddenly developed lactose intolerance about 2 months ago. I was VERY skeptical about trying a milk substitute.

The thicker consistency of almond milk bothers me a little bit, but that is because any milk thicker than skim triggers a "ugh" reflex. I imagine that it is next to perfect for making shakes, though. I have yet to try it as coffee creamer because that is one of the few dairy products I haven't had to give up.

The price is somewhat bothersome, as well. However, the longer fridge life is wonderful as it used to be a struggle to drink even a half gallon of milk before it went bad.

Another thing; you can't always substitute one for the other. I was excited that I might be able to make some of the instant pudding hanging around in my cupboards...but almond milk does not set up. It remains a liquid, some have theorized, because of the lack of proteins inherent in milk.

So, mixed reviews from me. After I finish this box of Kashi cereal, 50% chance that I will write it off and never drink it again.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    You need the very low suger almond milk. There a few diff kinds
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am not a milk drinker but do love cereal. I buy almond milk quite frequently for my cereal. My favorite is Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original. An entire cup only has 40 calories. I have tried Silk Almond Milk and hate the texture of it. I say try it and see...if you don't like it, try another brand or flavor - they are definitely not all the same!
  • 3ball
    Options
    The grocery store I was at had a generic kind for half the price, so I rolled the dice that way. I missed that it was 90 calories though. Better luck next time.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I am not a milk drinker but do love cereal. I buy almond milk quite frequently for my cereal. My favorite is Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original. An entire cup only has 40 calories. I have tried Silk Almond Milk and hate the texture of it. I say try it and see...if you don't like it, try another brand or flavor - they are definitely not all the same!

Interesting. I'm on Silk and the consistency is like chocolate milk. I'll keep the Almond Breeze name in mind.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Interesting. I'm on Silk and the consistency is like chocolate milk. I'll keep the Almond Breeze name in mind.

Agree! I hope the local stores carry it.
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is super easy to make yourself also. You just need a blender and something to strain it with (I use a "nut mylk" bag, but cheesecloth or a fine strainer will work as well). I use 1 cup almonds to 4 cups water, strain away the pulp, and you're good to go. I probably wouldn't be so industrious if I could buy almond milk for less than AU$9 a litre, however :sad:
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooooooooooooooove almond milk. I get the unsweetened kind and it's only 35 cals/cup. Less than half of skim milk.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Silk's unsweetened almond milk is zero net carbs (1g carb - 1g fiber = 0g net carbs) for one cup and 35 calories. I like to mix three cups with Isopure protein powder for a nutrient-rich, no net carb, fairly low calorie mix after a hard workout.