Any IT people out there? Conficker threat?

Options
AJCM
AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
Anyone out there have the down low on this Conficker.c virus?

I've visted Microsoft.com and McAfee.com, and it's a language I don't understand. I'm thinking it is serious, as we've been asked to fully shut down our work computers tonight (and not open the network at home), and not turn them back on until April 2nd.

Thanks for any info!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AJCM
    Options
    Anyone out there have the down low on this Conficker.c virus?

I've visted Microsoft.com and McAfee.com, and it's a language I don't understand. I'm thinking it is serious, as we've been asked to fully shut down our work computers tonight (and not open the network at home), and not turn them back on until April 2nd.

Thanks for any info!
    :flowerforyou:
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    60 minutes just did a piece on conficker on sunday. sounds like no one knows what's going to happen, but conficker is supposed to do something tomorrow. its like y2k all over again! i'll be standing in front of an atm machine, waiting it to spit out $$$!
  • AJCM
    Options
    60 minutes just did a piece on conficker on sunday. sounds like no one knows what's going to happen, but conficker is supposed to do something tomorrow. its like y2k all over again! i'll be standing in front of an atm machine, waiting it to spit out $$$!

Hahahaha! Back in 1999, I had a good friend in IT, and he basically said that Y2K was all BS, and that he made a tonne of money off "much ado about nothing". Hope that is true about this. I just read on Microsoft.com that you have to currently be infected with the a and/or b virus in order to be affected by the c.
    :ohwell:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's not that big of a deal. If you think you may have it, or aren't sure if you do or don't, run the downloadable tool you get from Symantec

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-011316-0247-99

it will scan your computer for it, and remove it completely.

it allows remote code execution. These worms find there way mainstream all the time. A lot more then you'd think. If you're concerned, run windows update and install all the latest security patches, and the malicious software removal tool (they are all part of the critical updates section of windowsupdate.

I.E. windowsupdate.microsoft.com
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    CNN said this morning to go to http://safety.live.com and Microsoft has a scan there that is supposed to detect it. I am running it now. It will probably take a few hours. They did say what to do if you have it though. I'll cross that bridge if it shows up. Otherwise, I am just going to hope for the best.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Hahahaha! Back in 1999, I had a good friend in IT, and he basically said that Y2K was all BS, and that he made a tonne of money off "much ado about nothing". Hope that is true about this. I just read on Microsoft.com that you have to currently be infected with the a and/or b virus in order to be affected by the c.

That's not true about Y2K. Y2K was a real problem, it took a lot of people a long time to go through all the code that was needed. While it wasn't the doomsday that some made it out to be, you'd be surprised how close we came to widespread banking failures. I should know, I was fixing some of the code at the time.
  • AJCM
    Options
    it's not that big of a deal. If you think you may have it, or aren't sure if you do or don't, run the downloadable tool you get from Symantec

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-011316-0247-99

it will scan your computer for it, and remove it completely.

it allows remote code execution. These worms find there way mainstream all the time. A lot more then you'd think. If you're concerned, run windows update and install all the latest security patches, and the malicious software removal tool (they are all part of the critical updates section of windowsupdate.

I.E. windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Thanks Banks!
    :smile:
  • AJCM
    Options

That's not true about Y2K. Y2K was a real problem, it took a lot of people a long time to go through all the code that was needed. While it wasn't the doomsday that some made it out to be, you'd be surprised how close we came to widespread banking failures. I should know, I was fixing some of the code at the time.

I hope I didn't offend... this particular firm in Toronto had a lot of guys (one of which was my friend) doing not too much (this was his account!).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options

I don't know why they started worrying in 1999, when the "widespread banking failure" didn't happen until 2008.:angry:
  • AJCM
    Options

I don't know why they started worrying in 1999, when the "widespread banking failure" didn't happen until 2008.:angry:

Hahahaha!!!!
    :tongue:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm safe with my Macs, right? Both my laptop and my home computer are the work of Mr. Jobs... so I'm good, right?
    Anyone know?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I hope I didn't offend... this particular firm in Toronto had a lot of guys (one of which was my friend) doing not too much (this was his account!).

I'm MORTIFIED! lol just kidding.

that's fine, I just wanted it out there that it was true (though not to the extent some said). it takes a lot to offend me.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm safe with my Macs, right? Both my laptop and my home computer are the work of Mr. Jobs... so I'm good, right?
    Anyone know?

probably, mac's aren't worth the effort to infect. :wink:

LOL, sorry, geek humor there.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Anyone know?

probably, mac's aren't worth the effort to infect. :wink:

LOL, sorry, geek humor there.

HA!!!!!! Good one!!!! hahahhahahahahahhaaaaaa
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    GASP!!!!

you're just jealous of my sleek white beauty. (my laptop's sleek white beauty, that is)

I LOVE my macs! SOOOOO compatible with everything, no need to load any drivers for anything, just connect and go.

and no virus scares either

and no need for CTRL+ALT+DELETE ever!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    GASP!!!!

you're just jealous of my sleek white beauty. (my laptop's sleek white beauty, that is)

I LOVE my macs! SOOOOO compatible with everything, no need to load any drivers for anything, just connect and go.

lol mac users amuse me. Dance for me! DANCE I tell you. :laugh:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    After you run the free scans on microsoft.com, look for the free downloads, go to avast.com for free antivirus, its good.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    After you run the free scans on microsoft.com, look for the free downloads, go to avast.com for free antivirus, its good.

either avast or avg

www.avgfree.com

or avast.com

both offer free home antivirus, that's just as good as any of the others out there. I use avast, but I have used AVG in the past as well. Avast looks a little snazzier though.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Whilst all this computer talk is going on....

Does anyone know what all these JAVA files are on my computer? Can I delete these programs? There are about 7 files called "Java (TM) Update 6; 7; 11" etc, taking up 120 mb each! (note: I accidentally deleted Internet Explorer last night and had to re-install).

Thanks for any tips!
    :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    GASP!!!!

lol mac users amuse me. Dance for me! DANCE I tell you. :laugh:

I will be dancing while you are running your antivirus software:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hey apparently the Prez is a big apple fan too, didja hear he gave the Queen of England an Ipod? I'm actually not joking............
    :noway: