Toilet dilemma

alison2429
alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
edited October 4 in Health and Weight Loss
I know this is really embarrassing and I never normally post this kind of topic but I thought someone on here would be able to help........lately when I'm running I need to go to the toilet (and I'm not talking about peeing!!). If I stop running it eases off but then comes back when I start running again. I have a long run soon and this is the thing I am most worried about. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this?

Sorry this if this is TMI.

Thanks.

:blushing:

Replies

• lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    I have heard people who run marathons just go in their shorts... ew. Who knows if that true???
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Maybe drink some coffee & lots of water an hour or so before going out to run? I've definitely had things start moving when I run. Not sure about your route, but when that happens to me if I'm out, I sneak into a coffee shop or something. (Usually it comes out quickly enough I don't have to worry about leaving much *odor*.):ohwell:
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    I had that problem when I was running a race one time:embarassed: I don't know what the solution is.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Take a Tums about 20-minutes before you run.

That always helped me. :smile:
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    I have no idea. Have you checked any running/marathon websites? If you are training for a long run with an organization you may be able to contact them - usually they have some trainers available for questions. If you google - bowel movements running - I saw quite few posts come up with the same type of question you have. Good Luck!!
  • I would call your health professional and see if they will give you advice. My son, had a problem also but it appears he has nothing overtly wrong with him. He changed his food and it is better. He had it checked out with the medical professionals. I know we are sensitive to milk products in our family and I notice a big sensitivity to certain foods (gluten type). Good luck.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    i always plan bathrooms along the way during my run for this very reason...one time i was with out a toilet and ill just say it wasnt a comfortable run back home thereafter :sick:
  • This is very similar to training puppies to go to the loo. Have you ever noticed when you take your dog for a run (not a walk, a real run where they get heated and start panting) that the dog always stops within minutes to do number 2?

My puppy had real trouble going and the vet told me to take him for a decent run.. naughty me jumped on the motorbike and he ran next to me LOL! I couldnt make him run otherwise and he went to the loo within minutes! Maybe getting the system moving has the same affect on humans?
  • alison2429

Thanks for making the effort to post this - some useful tips I can try.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member

^^this and maybe wear compression shorts to minimize shakeage.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    I have this problem at times too and I hate that panic!!! UGH....I've read info on Runners World. Some people take an immodium before long runs. I've had those who've run marathons tell me that after so many miles stuff just gets loosened up, so pack some wipies... You are NOT alone :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I think it's a normal physiological response. If you are running for a long distance, you must be in some sort of distress, right? :laugh: The "fight or flight" instinct usually results in our bodies wanting to dump waste so we can run faster, to "lighten the load", so to speak. I know marathon runners can have this problem and I know a few who just take Immodium before a race or a long run.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    it happened to me the first few months of running (prob 2-3 months) until my stomach got used to it.
  • alison2429

Thanks so much - will take all this on board. May try the Immodium to be on the safe side!
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Maybe drink some coffee & lots of water an hour or so before going out to run? I've definitely had things start moving when I run. Not sure about your route, but when that happens to me if I'm out, I sneak into a coffee shop or something. (Usually it comes out quickly enough I don't have to worry about leaving much *odor*.):ohwell:

LOL, I do this too. The ladies at the coffee shop are starting to give me dirty looks when I come in.
This discussion has been closed.