Trainer becomes fat on purpose just to experience it!

Options

Replies

• tmorse7
    tmorse7 Posts: 24
    Options
    I also read that story! While I think what he is doing is pretty extreme, I completely admire his attempt to understand the struggles of people who have lived with obesity and food addiction. I will be watching his journey now from overweight to fit again with much interest! If you haven't checked out his website it is: http://fit2fat2fit.com/
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Drastic, but maybe it will make him 'one of the fit people' realise just what it is like to be bigger and have to change their lives to lose the weight, he's lucky he has all the equipment and the knowledge to help him drop it again and he probably will do in half the time it would take someone else.

And he will probably make a fortune by writing a book or an infomercial on the whole thing.

not jealous or bitter but I do hope it changes his mind set and others along with it.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    R
  • engineman312
    Options
    R
    E
  • wwinn18
    wwinn18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    how unusual. i do not think i would be able to do that...it's weird. becoming obesse on purpose is def NOT somehting i want to do...and imagine how hard it would be to get out of that? to be eating all of that food and not exercising for 6 months just to switch it around and exercise like crazy and give up all those foods--including caffiene, which was my biggest problem!
  • engineman312
    Options
    R
    E
    P
  • carolinarollergirl
    Options
    Agree - it's admirable he seeks to understand what the obese feel. But it's SO. MUCH. MORE. COMPLICATED than he makes it out to be.

He is a fit and healthy adult who put on a lot of weight over the course of 6 months. Obviously he's not going to have any problem losing the weight because his set point is at a much lower weight. Now if he put on the weight and maintained at an obese level for a year or two, that would be a different story... and more indicative of the struggle obese people have with their weight.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    It shows how easy it is to get fat. 5 months 70 pounds and all his muscle has dissappeared. The difference with him is he absouloutley without a doubt knows that this weight will be gone fast.

He already has the keep fit and healthy mind set that most overweight people struggle to find. However it is teaching him how easy it is to become addicted to unhealthy food and how even the simplest tasks (he mentions tying his shoelaces) is more difficult and this will make him a better trainer. It will be interesting to see how fast he loses this weight. I for one will be following with interest.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    Agree - it's admirable he seeks to understand what the obese feel. But it's SO. MUCH. MORE. COMPLICATED than he makes it out to be.

He is a fit and healthy adult who put on a lot of weight over the course of 6 months. Obviously he's not going to have any problem losing the weight because his set point is at a much lower weight. Now if he put on the weight and maintained at an obese level for a year or two, that would be a different story... and more indicative of the struggle obese people have with their weight.
    I agree with this. Also, *purposely* making yourself gain that much weight in a short amount of time is just... not smart (to put it nicely).
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yikes. His before and after pics are pretty shocking. I can't believe anybody would willingly do that to themselves. Most men would kill to have the body he had, and it must have taken him years of hard work to get it.

Very bad idea.
  • jonnyshelly
    Options
    WOW! That is pretty amazing.. I really hope he can burn it all off again. I wouldn't want to experience that just because of the health concerns of gaining so much weight. At the same time, with the right mindset and motivation anyone can shed a couple pounds with some patience and perseverance. A little bit of exercise and nutritional knowledge goes a long way. This guy lost about 90 pounds after hating being fat for so long, I imagine the trainer will get right back to work!! Who would hire a fat personal trainer anyway? hehe
    http://www.extremeweightlosshelpnow.com/
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend that anyone do this, but at the same time, I hope he writes about his experiences and shares it with other trainers.

I saw a trainer once, and he had no idea how hard he was working me. I know that I need to push myself when I exercise, but he was pushing me over the edge. I strongly believe that beginners just need to get in the habit of exercising before they are really pushed to work as hard as they humanly can. Just moving around makes me out of breath. He had no idea how the workout was making me feel, and I never saw him again.

I think it would be a lot easier for trainers to motivate overweight people if they knew what being overweight is like.
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Interesting! That would really stink if he wasnt able to turn himself back to fit bc he became so "addicted" to bad foods.