Would you take advice from a professional trainer if he/she

Options
Tiffanydepiano
Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
were overweight? I am really curious to see what people think.
If I wander away after a while please don't think I've abandoned my post. Just message me. I'll come back. :yawn:

Replies

• Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Your topic cut off. If he or she what?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You probably should abandon it, you forgot to ask a question.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Title got cut off I think! :ohwell:
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I guess my post was cut off. If he/she were overweight?
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Depends. If they were following their own guidelines and working to be healthier too, of course. If they just needed the income...um, negative ghost rider.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yes. I would base it on what they know. Most olympic coaches are overweight.

The world is full of fit personal trainers that don't know their *kitten* from their elbow, and don't give a stuff about their clients.
  • ayummymommy01
    ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more with this.
    One of the best trainers I ever had was a bit over weight ... he has moved on and now trains elite athletes for hockey teams and the olympics here in Canada!!
  • brendddda
    Options
    No, if they can't take care of their own body how can I trust them to tell me how to take care of mine? If they look good, then I'll trust that their methods work.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Nope, and to be fair.. I wouldn't take their advice if they were skinny.
  • angelfood111
    Options
    Depends how knowledgeable they are--AND...you can be an athlete that does not have a perfect body. Look at football players!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    No, if they can't take care of their own body how can I trust them to tell me how to take care of mine? If they look good, then I'll trust that their methods work.
    Then you'd trust me...................
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, no I would not. This doesn't mean they wouldn't be qualified, however.

My trainer does a lot to push me. I value him pushing because he's in so much better shape than I am and trust that he knows what it takes to get there and stay there.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd trust their word, if they are not practicing what they teach on themselves then what kind of example is that to me.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but personally... No.

I wouldn't want a trainer who who weighed more/didn't look as fit as me.

That sounds horrible but it's expensive.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Well, I might if they seemed to know their stuff. They could just be in the process of changing their body as well. The one time I shelled out money on a personal trainer I was very disappointed. She was thin, muscular, looked healthy. Had SOME good advice but she just wasn't for me. She was way too young, always late, never game me my full session because SHE was late, ate unhealthy in front of me, and didn't know very much about what hse was teaching.

Needless to say I didn't see any results that I wasn't already bedinning to see on my own.

Don't let the way someone looks change your mind about what they know. I am fat, but I know a ton about weight loss and exercise because I have done almost everyhing. My problem is dicipline, may be his/her problem as well
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Yes I probably would especially if they were trying to get healthy too or were just buffed up. Sometimes I think that smaller personal trainers don't understand where we are coming from unless they themselves started at a higher weight. I believe if they had the training and was working towards a healthier lifestyle for all it would be helpful.

I really admire you dedication to losing the weight!!! I would love to motivate, support and encourage you along the way. Please feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like. We are all on this journey together and are all striving for the same goal and that is to get healthy!!!

Hugs
    Bev
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Yes. I would base it on what they know. Most olympic coaches are overweight.

The world is full of fit personal trainers that don't know their *kitten* from their elbow, and don't give a stuff about their clients.

What he said.

Now would I take advice from this guy:

DSC_0067.jpg

Hmmmm, let me think...
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Well, I think there's a difference between overweight and out of shape personally. I know a very healthy trainer who has always been overweight due to a metabolic disorder. She can out-train everyone at the gym. All of her clients get amazing results. I think every situation is different. What if she just had a baby? What if they had a car accident, or had an illness that required a particular diet? I think I could determine a good trainer from a bad one. Then again, I've known what I should be doing for years, but didn't have the motivation to follow through. Now I have it, and I realize I need to pushed. So when I'm looking for a trainer, I'm not necessarily looking for them to tell me how to eat or numbers of reps and weight, I need accountability. If a coach pushes me to respond, that's what I need, regardless of what they look like.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yes I probably would especially if they were trying to get healthy too or were just buffed up. Sometimes I think that smaller personal trainers don't understand where we are coming from unless they themselves started at a higher weight. I believe if they had the training and was working towards a healthier lifestyle for all it would be helpful.

I really admire you dedication to losing the weight!!! I would love to motivate, support and encourage you along the way. Please feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like. We are all on this journey together and are all striving for the same goal and that is to get healthy!!!

Hugs
    Bev

I agree, I would trust a person more if they either had been overweight or are in the process of losing weight. Some people's version of overweight is not mine and I kind of look at them like, wow, you really don't know much do you?
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a Master's in Health and Exercise Science and, as you can gather, I am in the process of getting back in shape. So, I guess, I would be a hypocrite if I weren't willing to take advice from a trainer in the same situation. I think it depends on the qualifications and whether or not they were in working on improving their fitness. I think there is a difference between being flabby and sedentary and being a little overweight, but in shape.