questioning the accuracy of calorie counts of the FOOD optio

Options
Hi,

I just searched "Suisse Chalet" and for the same amount of chicken there were three different entries each of which were essentially described the same (white meat or breast, or skinless white) and they all had drastically different calorie amounts. This makes me wonder how accurate the calorie counts are on a lot of these foods? The popularity of this app is supposed to be the huge database of food and nutritional information, but is that helpful if it isn't accurate?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just searched "Suisse Chalet" and for the same amount of chicken there were three different entries each of which were essentially described the same (white meat or breast, or skinless white) and they all had drastically different calorie amounts. This makes me wonder how accurate the calorie counts are on a lot of these foods? The popularity of this app is supposed to be the huge database of food and nutritional information, but is that helpful if it isn't accurate?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

I believe a portion of these entries are user-created, which can cause issues if people mess up. I will usually verify that the following is at least close:

4xPro + 4xCho + 9xFat = Kcal total. If that is off by a large amount I will not trust the data. This doesn't guarantee accuracy but it's one way to check whether or not someone totally botched the entry.
  • cassyparker
    Options
    For the most part I find it pretty accurate, but if you notice something isn't right then say no on the accuracy question when you check it out. I know that if I am eating some where that has a nutritional guide for their food I check it out before I enter it just to make sure its right :)