Hello

Options
Hello All,

I am new to the site. My workout partner suggested we join as an added bonus in reaching our goals. My biggest problem is I am a "junk food junkie". I love sweets! :love: I have recently received test results that I am a borderline diabetic...:sad: That was the last thing I wanted to hear so hoping to avoid being labeled a diabetic through exercise and diet. I am looking forward to any tips/advice anyone cares to share. Thanks in advance and talk to you later. :smile:

Replies

• tapaul50
    tapaul50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    New here too... Good luck and hang in there!
  • badelia18
    badelia18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have major chocolate issues. I went shopping at Walmart today and it took every ounce of will-power (actually knowing my daughter was with me...lol) not to buy a symphony bar...my all time favorite. This has been a very slow process for me. I only started here on Tuesday, 10/11...so it's been a week and a day. So log in your stuff, encourage your friends and just remember it's just one day, one step and one pound at a time. You can do this!!
  • CalderaGal
    Options
    Read my blog entry about a book about curing diabetes with diet. I am telling you, the book is so full of knowledge and you will think twice (or more) about eating any junk food or sweets- the books shows how this stuff kills you.

Also check this out
    http://www.deathtodiabetes.com/

You do not want to be diabetic and we do not want you to, either. When you decide on a plan, share it and we will cheer you on!!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Remember that if you look at sugar as an all or nothing proposition, you'll probably fail. Start by reducing sweets as part of reining in your calories. Lots of folks say that once they start restricting themselves, they naturally want less. But, it takes a few weeks. Try to find some snacks you like that don't have high fructose corn syrup or simple carbohydrates. Work to gradually change your eating habits and you'll do fine.

2 biggest pieces of advice - add friends and log what you eat every day, even if you go over. It works!
  • bunny876
    bunny876 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with lmelangley, don't cut yourself off cold turkey. Slowly reduce down how much you eat, and never deprive yourself. I have failed so many times because I tried to just cut things out. I have learned that allowing myself to have what I want, but making sure I keep portion control has been a great thing for me.
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I struggle with sugar as well. Hang in there and good luck!