Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Breastfeeding questions

I am SO confused as to what i should be setting my calories at right now! MFP suggests 1200 calories for me right now, but I need about 300 extra right now for nursing. So, originally, I was just overriding the 1200 and making my daily goal 1500 calories and eating a NET of about 1500 calories (sometimes lower). But now I just discovered the feature of being able to add breastfeeding to my diary (how neat!). So I reset my calories to 1200, added to breastfeeding a 6-12 month old baby, added my workout...and ended with a NET of about 900 calories....WAY too low! I am totally confused now! Should I reset again to 1500 and then add the breastfeeding to my diary, not add it at all?

WWYD? I am having a really hard time losing, so I need to find the right combo!

ETA: I guess to sum it up, what should my NET calories be???

Replies

• Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    your net should be 1200 if you have the base calories before exercise at 1200, If your base is at 1500 then you should net 1500 which means that 900 you netted means that you could have eaten 300 more calories.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Your total calories should be 1500 - 1800 at a minimum for nursing.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

I would set your weight loss goal at half a pound per week, or possibly less since you don't have much left to lose according to your ticker. Then add nursing into your exercise diary and eat back all your extra calories. I'd rather see a nursing mom go slightly over her cal goal each day than slightly under. Eating too little may not impact your milk supply, but it can negatively impact YOUR health since your body will use its available resources to provide nutrition for the baby, even if it has to pull nutrients from your bones to do it.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Here's a good website for breastfeeding and there's a link there for guidelines while dieting. IMO, you should count 300-500 extra calories burned for breastfeeding and need to replace that. Also drink lots of more water than the necessary 8 cups. :) HTH

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-calories-fluids.html
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    I can totally not figure out how to add the breastfeeding option to my diary & have been struggling too and figuring out just how many calories I should be eating. If you could explain how to do it, I would be forever indebted. Thanks!
  • ajbeans
    I can totally not figure out how to add the breastfeeding option to my diary & have been struggling too and figuring out just how many calories I should be eating. If you could explain how to do it, I would be forever indebted. Thanks!

Just click the "exercise" tab and search for breastfeeding. You should get several options. Add one, and it'll add calories for your day. :)
  • kendelq
    kendelq Posts: 35
    OK, thanks, I think I need to go back and change my goals a bit and change my weight loss goal from 2 pounds per week to .5, good idea.

I am close to my original goal, which is back to my pre-preg weight, then I have another 15 to be happy. I gained a bunch right before getting PG this time. I also do NOT want to mess with my supply, so I do want to be careful.

ok, so, let me make sure I have it right! Let MFP set my NEW calorie goals, then add the BF to my diary which basically gives me an extra 300 calories. What about exercise calories...eat them or no?

I guess I am confused as to what the difference is between me overriding MFP and setting my calorie goal to 300 more and NOT adding the BF vs. letting MFP generate my settings and adding BF.

Thanks so so much!!
  • kendelq

Just click the "exercise" tab and search for breastfeeding. You should get several options. Add one, and it'll add calories for your day. :)

I can't find it in exercise, it's actually an option in your food diary! If you search for a food "breastfeeding", it's there, weird huh??
  • ajbeans
    Yes, eat your exercise calories and your breastfeeding calories. I know there's a debate on the boards about whether or not you should, but for a nursing mom, you definitely should. If you find you're not losing, then there might be something off in the calculations and you can lower your cal goal if need be, but it's better to err on the side of eating too many calories for now.

The reason there's a difference is because (excuse my hypothetical numbers, since I don't have your stats) say you tell MFP that you want to lose 1.5 lbs per week, and it gives you a goal of 1200. That's your net goal. So then if you add the calories into your diary, you still have to eat those extra 300 calories a day to make your NET goal of 1200, and if you do that consistently you'll lose 1.5 lbs per week, on average. But if you override your goal to 1500, then that 1500 becomes your new net goal, so MFP will think you'll only be losing around .9 lbs per week. It kind of throws off the calculations. Breastfeeding is kind of like exercise, because if you don't do it you dont' burn as many baseline calories. It's better to add it in as exercise to make sure your numbers and nutrition are all correct.
  • ajbeans

I can't find it in exercise, it's actually an option in your food diary! If you search for a food "breastfeeding", it's there, weird huh??

That is weird. One of my friends on here used to add it to her exercise regularly, so I know it was in there at one point. But you're right, I searched for it and now it's not there. I wonder why?

Anyway, even if it somehow disappears from your food diary search, you can add it in manually. Just go to exercise, add exercise, and do a search. Then at the bottom it says, "Can't find what you're looking for? Add an exercise to the database." If you click that, you can add in whatever exercise you want for whatever calories you need to add, so you could just type in "breastfeeding" for 1 minute and 300 calories or whatever. Then it will show up in your frequently-used exercises list and you can just click the box each day.
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks for all your help ladies! I am now good to go & am super excited because I have been sort of adding the extra calories I thought I might need in my head for the past couple weeks. I went back and adjusted my diary and I have been hitting the mark each day! I was beginning to get a big discouraged and now am very motivated again. Take care everyone :)
  • kendelq
    Yeah, I think that's what's throwing me off, adding it to my food diary messes my numbers off, lol

I made my diary public for a bit if you want to take a peek! I appreciate it, not sure why this is throwing me so off!!!

If it helps, for awhile I had my NET set at 1800, was eating my exercise calories, but NOT adding the BF thing to my diary (didn't know about it - just thought 1800 was a good NET) and I wasn't losing anything :-(
  • ajbeans
    I'd try setting your net down to 1500 and see if that helps. You are so close to your goal weight, it will probably be difficult to lose those last few pounds. I'm not saying you can't do it, just that it's going to be slow. Keep trying different things, and you'll find something that works. :) As long as you're not gaining, you're on the right track. Just keep at it.
  • kendelq
    Thanks! I actually re-adjusted my ticker, I actually have 22 pounds, that ticker was set at an initial goal (to keep me more motivated), but i changed it.

I am wondering if I should even add that BF addition to my diary, I think it's messing with my head, rofl. I think I'll make my NET 1500 and go from there!
  • ajbeans
    If it makes more sense to you to manually adjust your calories, go for it. What I would do is get MFP's suggestion for losing 1 lb per week, and then add 300 to that to get your goal. MFP will tell you that you won't lose weight as quickly, but it'll be wrong. :P Or yes, since you tried the 1800 and it didn't work, just bump down from there and see what happens.
  • dinnae
    dinnae Posts: 28
    First of all, I don't even pay attention to NET calories, only my food calories. And, that said, I did NOT go with what MFP suggested for my calories, I manually adjusted it. (It wanted me on 1000 calories a day, and that's just insane.)

And, I'm going to second what Misty and ajbeans said. I've tried low cal diets before whilst nursing, and TANKED my supply, so yes, it CAN negatively affect it. NOT GOOD. Kellymom is one of the best places for breastfeeding info, and both of those pages have great info - I recommend them to MANY nursing mums. (I'm in quite a few parenting groups on facebook, and also a volunteer for Human Milk 4 Human Babies http://www.hm4hb.net) 1500-1800 calories daily, and whatever you do, do NOT scrimp on carbs. Carbs are imperative for milk supply. One of the BEST things you can eat while trying to lose weight and still maintain supply? A 1-2 cup serving of oatmeal every morning. Low fat, low calorie, high in fibre, and it will keep you full and going strong all morning.

If you are 150 lbs or under, you might be able to get away with eating 1500 calories, but NEVER less. And if you work out, you may want to eat more, to keep up your energy and vigor. Yes, your weight loss will be slower, but it will be a safer weight loss for both you and baby.

Right now, I'm nursing my 11 month old, so I'm classing that as 300 calories a day. (he still nurses at least 5 times a day.) I'm 196 lbs, so I eat 1500 + 300 = 1800. Even if I work out, I stick to that 1800 calories a day. I've lost 2 lbs a week for the last 4 weeks, so it must be working well. ;) (And honestly, I just started working out hard this week, so I'm sure I'm going to see even more loss in the weeks to come.)

With MFP, I didn't like entering breastfeeding in with my food, as I couldn't see my food calories on my summary. I instead created an exercise for it (cardiovascular, 1 min = 300 calories. LOL), so that my breastfeeding was classed as an activity rather than food, as it should be - it IS an activity that is burning calories, not something that is consumed that gives you negative calories. I feel that the net calories give you a false sense of what you should eat... and leaves you open to the temptation to "eat back" the calories you burned while exercising. I mean really, if you add exercise to your weekly routine, you shouldn't GIVE yourself the option to eat back your calories. Stay at consuming the same amount, and let that exercise be a boost to your weight loss. By all means though, bump up your calories daily if you are feeling weak or tired or excessively hungry.

For weight loss (for a normal person, not even a nursing mum), a good formula to use is: your weight x 10 = your daily calories needed for weight loss. Never go under 1400 or over 2000. Below 1400 a day for prolonged periods of time can be very detrimental to your body, and that's for a normal person! With exception of a two week "kick start" or "jump start" type diet.

For example: for me, 196 lbs x 10 = 1960 calories. If I were to add my breastfeeding to that, it would take it up to 2260, but I am happy keeping it at the 1800 to bump up my potential weight loss, and I'm still well within the suggestion daily caloric intake by kellymom.

If you DO end up having supply issues, please check out this site: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21:herbal-remedies-for-milk-supply&catid=5:information&Itemid=17 Dr. Jack Newman is a world-renowned expert on breastfeeding, and this page has some great info. As well, please feel free to pm me, as I have a whole list of suggestions for you. :)

Good luck!

ETA: LOL I took too long to do up my post, so many posts since I saw the conversation at the beginning!
  • kendelq
    Wow, I really can't thank you ladies enough, I have been going CRAZY trying to do the right thing! I really, really, want to lose this last bit of baby weight and then what I gained before that. Basically, I want back to me "pre-kids" weight ;-) I got back there twice, but this third babe of mine was different! But...her being my last, I also want to cherish BF as LONG as I can, so the balance is hard.

So anyway, thank you! I appreciate all the time you took to reply :-) and it makes SO much more sense now!

Dinnae - yeah, adding it to my food journal is too confusing!

I am exercising and burning between 350-650 calories a day, but I am trying not to eat those back. So what I think I will do (thanks to everyone's suggestions) is to do what I was doing, lol. I will set my goal at 1500-1600(?) and then eat that no matter what and not eat my exercise calories. But Dinnae - would I still add BF as an exercise in this case and eat those back? That's where I get confused......or just not even bother and eat 1500 no matter what? I was at 1800 and wasn't losing anything, so I think 1500 will work better for me and hopefully my supply will be ok (or I'll up it for sure). Also going to add oatmeal to my meal plan every day!

Thanks again everyone!!!

ETA: ajbeans - 1500 would be what MFP suggests for 1 pound a week, plus 300!

Also, I am currently 158, my pre-preg weight was 152 and then my pre-babies weight was 137!
  • dinnae
    dinnae Posts: 28
    kendelq, I'd probably go with 1400 (bare minimum, non nursing), and add back in the 300 = 1700. If you have some days below, great, if you have some days over, provided they're not HUGE over, that should be ok too. But then, you are lighter than I am, so if you feel you could get away with 1600, go for it. And take into account what KIND of stuff you're eating... when I am having a healthy day (lots of veggies, etc), I let myself go over if I need to. If I'm having a non-healthy day (ie, eating out a lot, etc), I'm more vigilant about going over. Going over with "benign" calories is ok, especially if those calories come from high fibre items (something from the weight watchers teachings).

And I TOTALLY get what you said about cherishing the last one... this one is my last too, and it's also been the hardest to lose the baby weight after! 9 months after, I wasn't ANY lighter than I was when he was born. O_o My sugar cravings have been sooooo bad post-baby this time around.

You are VERY welcome, by the way. :D The more we help each other out, by passing on knowledge, the better we all are for it!
  • kendelq
    kendelq, I'd probably go with 1400 (bare minimum, non nursing), and add back in the 300 = 1700. If you have some days below, great, if you have some days over, provided they're not HUGE over, that should be ok too. But then, you are lighter than I am, so if you feel you could get away with 1600, go for it. And take into account what KIND of stuff you're eating... when I am having a healthy day (lots of veggies, etc), I let myself go over if I need to. If I'm having a non-healthy day (ie, eating out a lot, etc), I'm more vigilant about going over. Going over with "benign" calories is ok, especially if those calories come from high fibre items (something from the weight watchers teachings).

And I TOTALLY get what you said about cherishing the last one... this one is my last too, and it's also been the hardest to lose the baby weight after! 9 months after, I wasn't ANY lighter than I was when he was born. O_o My sugar cravings have been sooooo bad post-baby this time around.

You are VERY welcome, by the way. :D The more we help each other out, by passing on knowledge, the better we all are for it!

Makes sense! Thank you :-) Good luck on your journey as well!!!!
  • im a breastfeeding mom. my cals are set to 1570. i add the breastfeeding (300). that = 1870. you just leave it at that. when you add the BF ,you know, it gives you an extra 300-500 depending on which one you add. Then, you are supposed to eat back your exercise cals. for me when i first started i gained about 10 lbs!!! so i dont eat back my exercise cals anymore unless i burn over 500 ( we scuba dive adn that can burn 2400 cals or so) because when i burn over 500 i get REALLY hungry. that s my body's sign its hungry and needs more fuel. I am now losing weight adn still tinkering with my cals. you just watch the scale, watch your milk production and your baby's growth and watch how you feel. are you just STARVING? or are you ok? please feel free to add me so you can ask me tons of questions. i put up a forum on BF too and now i have some really smart ladies as friends that could help you too.
  • you can also go to "food" and eype in breastfeeding. I chose the 300 option because 500 is way too much i gain on that.